Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced

A tweet from gscstalker has an update on the status of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2, which doesn't ease the concerns about the future of this first-person shooter sequel that first came into doubt amid concerns developer GSC Game Worlds was shutting down, saying: "despite no official continuation of Stalker 2. it looks like the ideas and spirit will live on in the team's new game – 'Survarium'" (thanks Eurogamer). An official website for Survarium (working title) has details on this, saying: "Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass- scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known." That sure does sound like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. spirit, and the - Vostok Games About Us Page explains why this would be, while also confirming that GSC Game World is closed and that development of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is "frozen":

Our company appeared in March 2012 in Kiev. Ten years earlier, when at GSC Game World we started developing the renowned S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series and continued working on it until December 2011 when the studio was unexpectedly shut down and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 project – frozen. We did not reach agreement with the rights owner regarding the use of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brand, that’s why we made the decision to move forward as an independent studio with a new project. That day became our starting point for Vostok Games.

Vostok Games is a new studio founded by veterans of Ukrainian game industry with multi-year experience of developing and releasing commercially successful projects. In March 2012 we reached agreement with Vostok Ventures Ltd. to back up the financing of our new game – free2play MMOFPS Survarium(working title).

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:10 Cutter

siapnar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:04:
A Patriot wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:58:
Can't they just Kickstarter the crap outta it?

I got 15 bux!
I also have 15 bones

I'd give them 15 clams.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:04 siapnar

A Patriot wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:58:

I got 15 bux!
I also have 15 bones

I have projectile dysfunction.

18. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:02 Eirikrautha

AnointedSword wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:24:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:00:
While it's good that we're getting more stalker-style games, free 2 play and mmo are not good words for me. Online games can't capture the richness of a singleplayer experience... And Stalker was all about the richness of experience.

You will see a day where online catches up. The bottom line is, most people do not want to be alone;) They would rather get together with family and friends and hang out. This applies to virtual worlds as well.

Yeah... that's why the Washington Post (or NYT, I don't remember which) published an article yesterday by an MIT psychology professor lamenting the growth of "internet" families... families that sit around in the same room, silently, and just communicate or play games on their phones/IPads/etc. These people obviously crave human contact and interaction... Rolleyes

17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 16:58 A Patriot

I got 15 bux!

16. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 16:08 Mgshadow

Im glad they will still be around. But i'm sad all the work on Stalker 2 is going to be for nothing.  

15. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 15:24 Burrito of Peace

I guess...[Turns sideways, takes off sunglasses] S.T.A.L.K.E.R. got out of there.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!

14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 15:22 jacobvandy

Sad to see STALKER 2 won't be seeing the light of day (or if it ever does, it won't be the same without these guys making it), but I'm cautiously optimistic about a STALKER-style MMO. As much as I appreciate the single-player aspect of the franchise, there's no denying that the gameplay would translate very well to an online environment. Basically you could have real, live Stalkers running around on their own adventure that either help or hinder you, along with plenty of NPCs that stick to their assigned tasks. I just hope they can pull it off in less than 2 years, though from their dev diary it sounds like they'd be releasing it in segments, adding new areas every so often.  

13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 15:12 StingingVelvet

While it's good that we're getting more stalker-style games, free 2 play and mmo are not good words for me. Online games can't capture the richness of a singleplayer experience... And Stalker was all about the richness of experience.

You will see a day where online catches up. The bottom line is, most people do not want to be alone;) They would rather get together with family and friends and hang out. This applies to virtual worlds as well.

There's introverts in gaming, just like in other things.

12. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 15:11 siapnar

What triggered the collapse of GSC in the first place?

I thought the STALKER series was a profitable one...

Excuse my ignorance.

I have projectile dysfunction.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 15:11 Slashman

What the hell are you talking about? What does being alone have to do with playing a single player game?

Most people want to play good games. The reason so many people are drawn to multiplayer games now, is in part, because making a decent single player game seems to be an artform that not many have mastered anymore.

I sometimes want to play multiplayer games(DotA 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike). I sometimes want to play single player games(Portal, Skyrim, X3, The Witcher 2). I might even sometimes want to play the multiplayer aspect of games with both single and multiplayer(Sanctum, Serious Sam 3, Starcraft).

What I don't need is every single game to come out as an 'MMO' with mandatory online and a gameworld that I have to share with people I don't give a rat's ass about. Oh and let's tack an item shop onto that so I can buy pretty outfits and 'I win' weapons and armor.

The height of stupid is telling people what they enjoy. Apparently I'm eccentric because I don't need to define my enjoyment of a game by the fact that I played it with friends or family. What a bunch of crap.

10. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 15:04 Dev

Protip:
Getting rights to something is pretty important if you are going to use them to make something.

9. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 14:50 theyarecomingforyou

Given how poorly the engine handled singleplayer I am highly sceptical that they'll be able to pull off a MMOFPS. And it's going to be competing against games like Warface, which are polished and built on tried-and-tested engines. That, and the name "Suvarium" is terrible - even for a working title.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 14:44 Cabezone

If the developer couldn't secure the rights to the game they were working on, no way it gets released for free.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

7. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 14:38 SXO

Release the source code and assets of STALKER 2 to the modding community. Maybe the team behind the STALKER Complete mods could get something playable out of it.  

6. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 14:28 CommunistHamster

Multiplayer PvE can be very immersive. They've said it will be part of the game.  

5. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 14:24 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

4. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 14:24 Roachmojo

Well that just sucks. Like we need another fucking MMO, even a free one. Jesus Christ!  

3. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 14:03 Creston

Yeah, because what everyone who wanted STALKER2 wants instead is an MMOFPS.

Bye Stalker2. Rest in peace.

Yeah, RIP.

Creston

2. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 14:00 ItBurn

1. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 13:58 StingingVelvet

The end if singleplayer is near.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo