Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced

A tweet from gscstalker has an update on the status of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2, which doesn't ease the concerns about the future of this first-person shooter sequel that first came into doubt amid concerns developer GSC Game Worlds was shutting down, saying: "despite no official continuation of Stalker 2. it looks like the ideas and spirit will live on in the team's new game – 'Survarium'" (thanks Eurogamer). An official website for Survarium (working title) has details on this, saying: "Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass- scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known." That sure does sound like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. spirit, and the - Vostok Games About Us Page explains why this would be, while also confirming that GSC Game World is closed and that development of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is "frozen":

Our company appeared in March 2012 in Kiev. Ten years earlier, when at GSC Game World we started developing the renowned S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series and continued working on it until December 2011 when the studio was unexpectedly shut down and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 project – frozen. We did not reach agreement with the rights owner regarding the use of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brand, that’s why we made the decision to move forward as an independent studio with a new project. That day became our starting point for Vostok Games.

Vostok Games is a new studio founded by veterans of Ukrainian game industry with multi-year experience of developing and releasing commercially successful projects. In March 2012 we reached agreement with Vostok Ventures Ltd. to back up the financing of our new game – free2play MMOFPS Survarium(working title).

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 26, 2012, 13:16 Creston

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:10:

I'd give them 15 clams.

15 Scientologists?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Apr 26, 2012, 01:53 Hump

yonder wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 19:58:
Apparently Bethesda bought the rights, so that's why the team isn't doing/won't be doing it.

Thats troubling since I dont think Beth has the talent to continue a game such as STALKER

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

38. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 26, 2012, 00:01 siapnar

Rhialto wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:05:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl812VZv9VI
Appreciate the link.

This gives me a hell of a lot more confidence in their game.

I have projectile dysfunction.

37. Re: Differences Apr 25, 2012, 21:46 maleitch

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:34:
Cool, there's a documentary on wildlife in the Chernobly on PBS atm. They're showing the Pripiyat right now, but I don't see any Stalkers or artifacts. That's odd.

If that is the one about the wolves it is a really good program. To the guy that said he can't watch this type of stuff because it reflects real life too much; you are missing out. The area is still so bizarre and tragically warped that I don't need mutants running around to still be in awe of it.

36. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 20:44 A51Abductee

Rhialto wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:05:

Thanks, Rhialto

An interesting video with information directly from the people involved, instead of the seemingly infinite rumor and speculation.

35. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 20:43 NKD

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:34:
Cool, there's a documentary on wildlife in the Chernobly on PBS atm. They're showing the Pripiyat right now, but I don't see any Stalkers or artifacts. That's odd.

I can't watch anything about that region because it ruins the game for me. I also don't drive to Portland. I get upset because it isn't overrun with elves and isn't the capital of Tir Tairngire.

Video games have ruined real life for me.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

34. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 20:34 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

33. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 20:12 Sepharo

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:24:
I guess...[Turns sideways, takes off sunglasses] S.T.A.L.K.E.R. got out of there.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!

Nice

32. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 20:07 4D-Boxing

Ouch, this hurts.

Like someone already said, rest in peace STALKER2...STALKER franchise etc..

I know I'm dreaming but imagine if Gabe Newell would pick these guys up. With proper funding, QA etc they could make something really good.

Anyways, despite the bugs, the STALKER series have given me the msot staisfying gaming experience in years.

31. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 20:05 Rhialto

30. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 20:03 Bumpy

Bah. This news sucks.

I guess we had a great run with the first 3, expecting things to go well forever is naive.

It will be a long time before some company can equal or surpass the pea soup thick, atmosphere, design balance and quality of the STALKER series.

The proverbial bar is VERY high, I certainly don't see it happening with a free MMO.

29. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Apr 25, 2012, 19:58 yonder

Apparently Bethesda bought the rights, so that's why the team isn't doing/won't be doing it.  

28. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 18:17 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 18:07:
There's no reason for them to do a Kickstarter... Funding is not a problem for them, Vostok Games looks like it's basically a subsidiary of Vostok Ventures, Ltd., the Ukranian capital firm that is footing the bill for this new project. They've stated repeatedly that funding for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was not a problem, but Sergiy Grigorovich, founder of GSC Game World, decided to shut down the studio for whatever reason and wouldn't license the rights to the IP or content they had been working on.

So we find and kill him then? Sounds easy enough...

27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 18:07 jacobvandy

There's no reason for them to do a Kickstarter... Funding is not a problem for them, Vostok Games looks like it's basically a subsidiary of Vostok Ventures, Ltd., the Ukranian capital firm that is footing the bill for this new project. They've stated repeatedly that funding for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was not a problem, but Sergiy Grigorovich, founder of GSC Game World, decided to shut down the studio for whatever reason and wouldn't license the rights to the IP or content they had been working on.  

26. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:42 A Patriot

Hump wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:34:
yah, I'll contribute money to a bunch of eastern Europeans and sit confidently knowing they won't take a walk with the funding.

..... and Russian hookers have hearts of gold

For 15 bones it's worth the risk that something amazing might be created. They can consider it a tip for past performance - and I might get a cheap pre-order.

25. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 17:37 Marvin T. Martian

What a shame that a great SP game is turned into an mmo.
as free---ya, right. Free to start, but if you want anything
decent---it's likely going to cost ya.

24. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:36 PHJF

GET OUT OF HERE, STALKER.
GET OUT OF... hey! Where are you going?!?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 17:34 Hump

yah, I'll contribute money to a bunch of eastern Europeans and sit confidently knowing they won't take a walk with the funding.

..... and Russian hookers have hearts of gold

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 17:33 DangerDog

Sounded like Stalker 2 was going to be more mmo anyway, they were talking about having some sort of "on demand" delivery of content as you played the game.  

21. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:31 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:10:
siapnar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:04:
A Patriot wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:58:
Can't they just Kickstarter the crap outta it?

I got 15 bux!
I also have 15 bones

I'd give them 15 clams.

I'd give them 15 Jellyfish.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo