Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Linux Steam Plans Confirmed

After years of clues, rumors, and speculation, Phoronix has a concrete confirmation from Valve of plans for a native Linux client for Steam, Valve's content delivery service. And it just keeps getting better for the site and its Linux-loving audience, as they say: "Valve does have some great plans for Linux beyond just shipping the client versions of Steam and their popular games on the Source Engine." Without getting too far into specifics, the author repeatedly effuses over Valve's embrace of Linux surpassing the commitment of other developers. Those prone to speculation will recall the recently confirmed Valve hardware rumors, as it seems to bear noting that a specialized Linux client is one of the favored ways to power proprietary hardware systems these days. Here's a bit on Valve's strong commitment to the power of the penguin:

Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation. His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states and because he's curious about my opinions of this latest Microsoft operating system.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 29, 2012, 18:03 2nd_floor

Hehe I like it because it works. I don't understand how people still use Windows, with all the viruses, malware, lies Microsoft has told people. XP was the first version that "worked", after 3.1 I guess. Their engineers and designers couldn't write software that worked any better than Windows 95/98/ME, Vista?!

One guy (Linus Torvalds) wrote software (Linux) that from the beginning worked beautifully!

Back to Valve (and it does upset me!): in 1999-2001, Lokigames had 10-12 games ported to Linux in two years... that's commitment!! I bet Valve does not have 1.5 year internal delays with Steam and it's other released Windows software. And they talk about being Linux gods!!

Alright, enough, lets see what happens. I'd love to play L4D without worrying about malware getting on my computer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 28, 2012, 21:54 Dades

Everyone just back away slowly, no sudden movements..  

52. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 28, 2012, 20:24 Sepharo

Man you really like Linux.  

51. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 28, 2012, 19:20 2nd_floor

Valve won't just release Steam and some games for Linux. I bet they will go into the kernel, the graphics subsystems, anything they can to get control over the operating system and get their influence over the market. That is essentially what Steam did in Windows. They want you to see Steam and know Steam and let Steam take care of everything. Some drivers, don't worry about even the OS, game updates, just know and use Steam, Steam, Steam. Why do they leave the version numbers out of the game listing panel? I hate to say, but it reminds me a lot of what Microsoft likes to do!

Also I bet they will not hire well-known Linux people, such as Ryan Gordon (icculus) to do the work, or consult with anybody from the Linux community. They will hire people who know Linux, but people who will "do the work, and not question anything", so to speak. They will do Linux their way, with the attempt to control, and take no outside input.

Ryan Gordon would have had Steam and 3 games out since 2010 if he were doing the work!

50. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 27, 2012, 06:23 2nd_floor

I've used Linux since 1997, 15 years, and there have been various ups and downs with gaming on it. MP Entertainment, iD, Epic, Xatrix, Lokigames, S2 Games, Enemy Territory was ported, Medal of Honour. The names of companies that have done things for Linux over the years.

Valve hasn't touched Linux! They haven't done anything for it, barely spoken of it as far as I know. We don't know what was said between Valve and Phoronix, but the person at Phoronix compares what Valve said and its excitement for Linux, to the Linux Foundation. That is not what I would describe 15 years of Valve as being. Linux isn't exactly Valve's priority, they did MacOS first, and now finally a year or two after, they get to Linux. That doesn't sound like the Linux Foundation to me, or even much of a supporter of Linux.

They are a billion dollar company, if they wanted to, REALLY wanted to support Linux, like some companies listed above, they could have done so years ago! 2004 easily I bet without any financial risk.

It's awesome that Valve is going to bring some of it's games to Linux (although Steam can be a nightmare), but they need to walk the walk, and not just talk the talk of Linux if they want to be compared to the Linux Foundation and known as a supporter of Linux, with the apparent excitement that they are talking about, and the influence they have on PC gaming!

49. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 18:02 Dades

2nd_floor wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 17:15:
John Carmack and iD Software (among others) have supported Linux for 15 years. In that time Gabe Newell and Valve Software have watched people struggle to run their software in Wine under Linux, and not done anything about it!!

Why suddenly now does Gabe N. say he loves Linux and will support it with his software? I think he senses money and power in Linux. He/Valve have completely ignored Linux up until now, and has had plenty of money to support it!

Get out of here with this! We should have had this news 5+ years ago if he was really interested in Linux for gaming! He only wants more money and power!

Delusions of grandeur.

48. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 17:15 2nd_floor

John Carmack and iD Software (among others) have supported Linux for 15 years. In that time Gabe Newell and Valve Software have watched people struggle to run their software in Wine under Linux, and not done anything about it!!

Why suddenly now does Gabe N. say he loves Linux and will support it with his software? I think he senses money and power in Linux. He/Valve have completely ignored Linux up until now, and has had plenty of money to support it!

Get out of here with this! We should have had this news 5+ years ago if he was really interested in Linux for gaming! He only wants more money and power!

47. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 15:58 SM0k3

wow I can't even begin to tell how long I've been waiting for this! Once released I think I'll say goodbye to windows forever. No more Dual Boots  

46. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 09:45 MattyC

DNForever wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:19:
So what's the best linux? I might try it if I get bored this summer/if Windows 8 really sucks.

LittleMe wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 04:08:
DNForever wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:35:
Gaming is really the only reason most of us ever use Windows.

Speak for yourself Jack! Let's see... games, internet, documents, music, watching videos... yeah I use Windows for everything. I have no interest in fucking with Linux, but can kind of understand the appeal of a free system.

The things you mention can be done in Linux just fine. Gaming is where Linux really takes a back seat to windows. That is, games made by big developers run great in Windows and too often either don't work or take a lot of work to run in Wine.

Gaming is what is keeping Windows relevant for a lot of people, me included. They stand to lose a lot if they lose the PC gaming market. I applaud Valve for this Linux push.

Overall any disto will be workable for you now. This isn't like the late 90s - early 00s where many required voodoo and the promise of your first born child just to boot up. I haven't really been into Linux distros for a while now, but if you are new I would stick with something like Ubuntu. Windows 7 is fine for me. Plus I got sick of messing around with the driver hell that is Linux. If you are only putting it on a desktop with lots of standard stuff you should be fine though.

45. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 09:11 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:32:
Microsoft is really divided internally over it too, especially since that memo went out mandating Windows 8 use for official projects

What pissed me off is that they removed almost all of their gadget links for Windows 7, because they want to push developers to make stuff for Windows 8. There were some decent ones that I can't find working links for anymore thanks to that.

That's one of the reasons that letting MS be in control of such things is a bad idea. Much like EA, they tend to "force retire" previous versions if they want people to adopt the current one.

Wow, they sunset the Windows 7 Gadgets? That's pretty sad. I've spent a lot of time working with the developer preview at the office here and it's been very clunky. Metro actively interferes with my workflow, it's become such a nuisance that some people here are using third party solutions in an attempt to get around it.

I don't think most people mind the Metro interface on the Xbox but the sheer number of advertisements on it has pissed people off to the point where they associate that negativity to the entire interface. I know it did for me before I sold my 360.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

44. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 08:32 Bhruic

Microsoft is really divided internally over it too, especially since that memo went out mandating Windows 8 use for official projects

What pissed me off is that they removed almost all of their gadget links for Windows 7, because they want to push developers to make stuff for Windows 8. There were some decent ones that I can't find working links for anymore thanks to that.

That's one of the reasons that letting MS be in control of such things is a bad idea. Much like EA, they tend to "force retire" previous versions if they want people to adopt the current one.

43. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 08:19 DNForever

So what's the best linux? I might try it if I get bored this summer/if Windows 8 really sucks.

LittleMe wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 04:08:

Speak for yourself Jack! Let's see... games, internet, documents, music, watching videos... yeah I use Windows for everything. I have no interest in fucking with Linux, but can kind of understand the appeal of a free system.

The things you mention can be done in Linux just fine. Gaming is where Linux really takes a back seat to windows. That is, games made by big developers run great in Windows and too often either don't work or take a lot of work to run in Wine.

Gaming is what is keeping Windows relevant for a lot of people, me included. They stand to lose a lot if they lose the PC gaming market. I applaud Valve for this Linux push.

42. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 07:24 Dades

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 01:20:
Options -> Disable Metro ;p

Ok, maybe not that easy, but what counts with an OS is the basic workings, not an optional GUI

Too bad Metro isn't optional. It would be nice if it was, that's what most people are asking for. Some people don't give a shit about Microsofts app store ecosystem or having their start menu become a full screen tile interface. If you interact with the start menu at all then you will be affected. Hot corners are also some of the worst GUI elements I've ever experienced, there is a reason that shit mostly died with amateurish Linux window managers. When people want a unified operating system environment they will buy a Mac.

But change is NOT always bad.

This change is bad. Microsoft is really divided internally over it too, especially since that memo went out mandating Windows 8 use for official projects. There was no need for a unified Metro interface, they could have offered Windows Phone and Tablet without shoehorning it in an awkward at best way into Windows 8.

41. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 04:08 LittleMe

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

40. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 01:20 eRe4s3r

Options -> Disable Metro ;p

Ok, maybe not that easy, but what counts with an OS is the basic workings, not an optional GUI

39. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 22:27 Krovven

Enahs wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:05:
The interface on Windows Phone is just absolutely amazing and a joy to use. Windows 8 is based around that design.

And that's why people hate it. A desktop computer is not a mobile phone or tablet.

People hate the Metro design on Xbox Live too, and it's built for that.

I'm willing to try Windows 8 when it's officially released. But I'm not pre-ordering it like I did with Windows 7. Windows 7 is easily the best OS they have made, now they are going to go fuck it all up with this bullshit dumbed down touch screen interface that nobody even wants.

38. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 25, 2012, 22:21 UConnBBall

Dev wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 19:19:
UConnBBall wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 18:58:
Looking forward to the day of OS parity where it doesn't matter what OS you chose, everything will run.
Never going to happen sorry.
Closest you will get is things like cross platform stuff like java, or emulators.

Exactly we are moving into higher languages and operators. Java works now. Emulators are inherently more secure do to the "Sand Boxing." But everyone making programs with "Cross Platform" in mind makes me happy.

If everyone just stayed with OpenGL and moved away from Windows centrism DirectX we would be 3/4 of the way there.

37. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 25, 2012, 21:42 Kitkoan

It could also be the fact that Gabe Newell isn't stupid and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is happening in the world of Apple and Microsoft.

Windows RT took cues from iOS and can only install what is available from the Microsoft store (don't know its name for that). That means no Steam on it. Ever. And since ARM processors are getting more popular, it runs the chance to overtake x86 in a few more years since for most people, it's "fast enough" since people mostly want to check Facebook/light gaming. If ARM does overtake x86, Windows 9 won't happen, it will be Windows RT v2 (or something like that)

OSX 10.8 has an option to only allow you to install from the Apple store only. While it's "Opt in" for now, it looks like Apple might very well be planning to lock OSX down like iOS. While it won't happen this year, it will more likely happen slowly over the next few, kinda like the whole "boil a frog". Slowly edge people into it, sell it to them and make them think it's for their good. "It's a security function, like on iOS, but is also a full OS so you can still do everything you've become accustom to doing with OSX." And with this whole Flashback trojan leading the charge of security nightmare on OSX, it is a very likely future for OSX.

The computer is slowly become a console. Install and run only what the maker says is ok, and it also makes sure that the maker not only makes money with the initial sale, but with every software purchase after it. The sale that keeps on selling. Apple and Microsoft would love ALL their products to do this (not just iOS and XBox).

With this as a possible future, I can see why Linux would be a good market for them. Push Linux, its secure, easy to use (believe it or not if you haven't tried it lately), light on the system resources and more importantly free. And Linux isn't showing signs of wanting to close out digital shops like Steam. Also the Humble Indie bundles keep showing there is quite a market for games on Linux (almost double the market of OSX, except for the current one. Most likely due to the whole "this game needs Adobe Air on Linux to run, something that was discontinued"). Also, all those Humble Bundle games mean there is already a good sized basic library and climbing of games ready for linux, and others can be wrapped in a custom Wine setting to help get more games on Linux (same that happens with many OSX games, they use Cider wrapper).

My 2 cents....

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

36. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 21:40 Dev

Enahs wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:05:
The interface on Windows Phone is just absolutely amazing and a joy to use. Windows 8 is based around that design. I do not know how well it will work on a computer, but Microsoft has invested millions, possibly even billions of dollars into this new interface essentially. Perhaps they know a little of what they are doing?
I know how well... EXACTLY THE SAME as on the phone. But a phone doesn't have a mouse and keyboard and nice big monitor. Its kinda silly to dumb it down to match the limitations of the phone.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The more you use MS stuff and closer you get to them, you realize that often they do NOT know what they are doing. They arbitrarily remove or downgrade things. Sometimes if they don't want to bother fixing a bug (even if the community tells them exactly what needs to be fixed and its an absurdly simple thing to fix) they will just remove an entire feature. They change things just to be different, sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its not.

Do you know the most common reason I saw people give for upgrading to vista? The GUI. MS isn't stupid, they know this. They know that there will be masses of people who want the new windows just because its a new GUI, and since it matches their phone, they will like it all the more. Regardless of what the tech savy think.

I have repeatedly, very often, given MS the benefit of the doubt and tried their latest thing. Often its to my detriment. I don't have this attitude from an automatic unthinking bias, its from long experience of using MS products, and seeing what they do.

But hey, go ahead and give it a go, there's a preview version you can get for free right now.

35. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 25, 2012, 21:08 eRe4s3r

That'll be the day. But the OSS community as it is now will never manage that, if anything they would make parity truly impossible just to make a point.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo