Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration

This thread on the BioWare Social Network proposes a community action they are calling "Turn it On / Turn it off For Bioware" for Mass Effect 3 players to offer "EA and Bioware immediate feedback on the importance of the Ending DLC, so they can allocate sufficient resources to make a quality product." Here's how this is to work: "We will turn ON our single player game on April 28th, during a pre-defined period to show EA/Bioware the number of passionate fans who love the series and who will continue to buy their products IF the DLC provides a satisfactory ending. We will then turn OFF our game on April 29th, and refuse to play for a pre-defined time period to give EA/Bioware a clear idea of the potential loss of custom and support they will suffer if the DLC is NOT satisfying." This event has a Facebook page and all the details can be found on Hold the Line.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 23:46 Iurand

I hope it will extend it to the point where Star child is just hallucination caused by blood lost or something.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 18:28 Crustacean Soup

Yeah, a deus ex probably wouldn't have irked me as much if it actually fit. I mean, it still would have been annoying, but this one didn't even slot into the universe very well.

(I think indoctrination theory is a silly way for fans to read far more into the story than Bioware ever intended, or imagine an ending that never actually happened. Bioware doesn't normally operate on that type of level. And I don't see any irreconcilable or disbelief-unsuspending inconsistencies in the ending up to the point where the Catalyst comes in. Bioware has said that the ending DLC will extend, not replace the ending.)

33. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 18:12 Asmo

Crustacean Soup wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 01:20:
And now, not avoiding spoilers (secret text):

It's a classic case of deus ex machina, introducing a new character or power to a storyline to solve a seemingly unsolvable problem.

And it's not even a good DExM, for all the reasons you noted and more (although I do tend to subscribe to the indoctrination theory).

And yeah, the protest is junk. I didn't like the ending but I don't really need a new one (I'll probably play it as I'm a ME nut) so I don't feel any need to jump up and down about it.

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 11:43 StingingVelvet

briktal wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:04:
Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:30:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 00:29:
Can't play this until June. Really eager to see if the ending is as bad as all the fucking press coverage makes it seem.

It's pretty rare to see the critics and fans so united in their displeasure, it is objectively bad in many regards. I'm a huge fan of the ME series, it's had many problems over the years but its very engrossing and seemingly aspired to a different story telling method. All of that goes into the tank with the ending. It's poorly edited, a lot of the occurrences make no sense, it discards the themes of choice and comradery built over the series. It's a damned shame because ME3 is otherwise an excellent title, even the horde mode style MP is alright.

It would be one thing if it was well written and the cutscene cohesion made sense but fans just didn't like it. I've played many games where I didn't like the ending, I'm sure others have too. Endings are one of those things no one does well because there is little money in it.

This fan effort is just silly though, it will make no difference.

I thought the "critics" said it was wonderful and appropriate and art and that anyone who didn't like it is an entitled baby who just wants a happy Hollywood ending? Or has the game been out long enough that they can step away from their 10/10 reviews and talk about how much they disliked the ending and how it ruined everything?

Yeah I was gonna say, on the sites I go to critics mostly defend the ending, or at least say its not THAT bad.

I guess I'll find out in two months.

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:23 Verno

briktal wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:04:
I thought the "critics" said it was wonderful and appropriate and art and that anyone who didn't like it is an entitled baby who just wants a happy Hollywood ending? Or has the game been out long enough that they can step away from their 10/10 reviews and talk about how much they disliked the ending and how it ruined everything?

Haha indeed. Most probably didn't even play through to the ending, few reviews even directly reference it or go into any detail about its various problems. Many of the press are now walking back their praise on unofficial sources like twitter. It's a shame because on the surface ME3 is definitely a 9/10 game but the ending really shits all over that and overshadows the whole experience.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 peteham

Good lord..

Guys! I want to create an Internet protest and be noticed too.. Hey you guys! Guys?

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:07 HorrorScope

I'm not sure what the ending is to this game. But with all this continued BS from all sides, I hope it was one where everything died and Patrick Duffy woke up and dreamt it all.  

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:04 briktal

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:30:
Can't play this until June. Really eager to see if the ending is as bad as all the fucking press coverage makes it seem.

It's pretty rare to see the critics and fans so united in their displeasure, it is objectively bad in many regards. I'm a huge fan of the ME series, it's had many problems over the years but its very engrossing and seemingly aspired to a different story telling method. All of that goes into the tank with the ending. It's poorly edited, a lot of the occurrences make no sense, it discards the themes of choice and comradery built over the series. It's a damned shame because ME3 is otherwise an excellent title, even the horde mode style MP is alright.

It would be one thing if it was well written and the cutscene cohesion made sense but fans just didn't like it. I've played many games where I didn't like the ending, I'm sure others have too. Endings are one of those things no one does well because there is little money in it.

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:46 nin

folks, this giant scale of mass consumer dislike of a major release game has not happened before, well, since the Atari ET game in 1980.

Did you miss that whole DNF thing last year?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:35 avianflu

folks, this giant scale of mass consumer dislike of a major release game has not happened before, well, since the Atari ET game in 1980.

And the consumer unrest hasnt blown over yet either -- which is the even more significant point since almost all media events blow over in a week.

So I wouldnt dismiss these pissed off consumers so readily.

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:30 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

24. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:28 Silicon Avatar

Ain't no man-baby like an internet man-baby.

That's all I'm getting out of this particular "protest".

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:14 J

Popcorn  

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:06 Lokust

The ending was awful, but this is possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 09:03 SXO

Turn it off, leave it off, give up on EA/Bioware products, there are a wealth of other awesome games out there, especially on the indie front. Support the people that are truly making games with a passion, not the ones trying to monetize the ever-living-crap out of their games.  

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 05:48 Iurand

OldTimber wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 01:58:
Lol EA/Bioware already has your money do you think they care?

They should. After all, they're not that guy that scams you and then disappear in crowd, never to be seen again. They're here to stay and they're might want more of my money.

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 05:43 Acleacius

Wth, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. This has to be some kind of april fools, crap.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 01:58 OldTimber

Lol EA/Bioware already has your money do you think they care? guess people got bored of looking for kony already so their short hashtag driven attention spans are onto something else.  

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 01:44 Quinn

Their deadline is June. They are probably alreasy far into the DLC production. A budget has been fixed; they've decided how to do the DLC and are already far past the drawing boards and brainstorms.

This move of the fans is useless, infantile, and most of all: too much of a freaking hassle to participate in.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 01:20 Crustacean Soup

So, I just beat the game. The ending was not good. Trying to avoid spoilers: the tone/style didn't match the rest of the series (okay, it's an ending, I get that it's going to be different, that's not what I mean). I was kind of not expecting too much given all the coverage, but I expected it to be mostly overblown. Some of it is, but not all of it at all.

If you want analogous endings, I'm thinking of other SF that sort of petered out at the end: the later Foundation and Ender's Game books, Battlestar Galactica... At least in ME3's case, it's only the last few minutes; the rest of the game, and even the early part of the climax are pretty badass.

And now, not avoiding spoilers (secret text):

Everything up until the Catalyst comes into play is awesome. Then it just gets all 'what the shit just happened'.

The Reapers taking the essence of advanced civilizations was already established. Their doing so to save that essence from being destroyed by synthetics is crazy. The Catalyst says AI always eventually rebels, but he's not concerned that the Reapers are going to rebel against him? And what about the fact that there are no evil organic-killing AI in the galaxy in this cycle, aside from the Reapers themselves? The Geth are pretty peaceful until they decided to ask for Reaper help in order to prevent their own destruction, and even then Shep can get them back as allies; EDI bonded with organics. AIs being misunderstood people was a major theme of the series; they're the series' true aliens. Shepard never questions this; Shepard questions less crazy things at every point in the series.

The Catalyst says that the crucible proves the Reapers are no longer sufficient. How? Again, Shep never questions this, it's never explained.

The "Destroy" choice is crazy from the perspective of the Catalyst. It says that the crucible has provided it with new options, and this is one... it never had a kill switch before? Furthermore, it's certain new synthetics will be created and will kill all organics, apparently violating its whole point of existence, so why even provide the option? Again, no explanation, no questioning.

It's also crazy from Shepard's position. The Mass Relays are going to be blown up. The Reapers have the best FTL and probably the only chance of rebuilding them, as well as providing general reconstruction assistance (it's going to be damn hard to rebuild without the relays), and Shepard has the option of turning that away? Never mind genociding the Geth and killing EDI. Does it kill VI (again, Shep asks nothing)? Other machines? That can't be any good for the reconstruction effort.

The control option makes no sense. The Reapers are supposed to be true AI, nations unto themselves, how is the control option guaranteed to work? And why does the Catalyst trust it to Shepard? Why does the Catalyst need the crucible to do this? I guess if it works, it's a not a terrible choice for Shep, but it's kind of a boring and un-foreshadowed way of ending the series.

The Synthesis option is maybe the only one that makes any sense from both Shep and the Catalyst's position, but it's crappy SF. In a series where they took pains to make everything sound at least kind of plausible (at least, if eezo existed), and took pains to overexplain every science-fictiony concept in the codex, the ending turns to magic. This is why I mentioned Ender's Game, BSG, and Foundation, because they all did this at the end. It just feels like a cheat. I didn't think I was playing some space fantasy (space new age?) game, but that's suddenly what it is.

And why was the Normandy apparently in a Mass Relay conduit at the end? Or was it in FTL? How were the crew members who probably should have died on Earth, on board the ship? What was up with that?

Shep's death isn't even close to an issue. I've heard people whine about that, but I can't understand why.

Phew, had to nerd out there. Not upset or about to nerd rage out, definitely not going to "protest" the ending to a damn game, it was just disappointing is all.

I'll have to see what I think about the ending DLC, but I have a feeling I still won't like it, considering that the problems I had weren't really of the "my decisions didn't matter" or "they didn't explain what happened after" variety.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 02:24.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo