Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam

Dark Side Of Gaming describes the discovery of details on Alan Wake's American Nightmare on Steam, suggesting a PC edition of the psychological thriller sequel is on the way. Thanks Eurogamer.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 22:01 Reactor

I think the Uncharted series has the right balance, as well as the right quality. Nothing is uncanny valley, and both the mocap and hand animating work well together.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 19:01 Iurand

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:02:
It was more accurate but it didn't look right.

Maybe because they've hit uncanny valley?

7. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 18:54 Rea1One

This is awesome news!  

6. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 16:02 theyarecomingforyou

CommunistHamster wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 14:10:
I thought LA Noire currently held the cutting edge title in facial animation?
Yes and no. LA Noire did a lot of interesting things with facial animations but the visual quality was terrible, as it looked pretty much like a video stretched over the model. It was more accurate but it didn't look right. It was also more limited, whereas Half-Life 2 could generate the lip-sync from an audio file based upon the sounds being made.

I still consider HL2 to be the best overall (which shouldn't be the case considering how much older it is), though LA Noire was a very worthy attempt and it's something the industry needs more of.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

5. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 14:10 CommunistHamster

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:57:
Alan Wake was an amazing looking game. Right up until someone had to talk, and then the Quake 2 era animations killed it.

To me it's amazing that in 2012, there are still barely any games that can top Half Life 2's animations.
I thought LA Noire currently held the cutting edge title in facial animation?

4. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 13:08 NegaDeath

Looks ok but I'd still like to see the ORIGINAL game that was demoed with DX10 support way back when. That looked amazing at the time.  

3. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 12:39 vrok

I never asked for this.  

2. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 11:57 Beelzebud

Alan Wake was an amazing looking game. Right up until someone had to talk, and then the Quake 2 era animations killed it.

To me it's amazing that in 2012, there are still barely any games that can top Half Life 2's animations.

1. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 10:27 Frijoles

A stunning sequel to the original Escape from Ventriloquist Island. This latest sequel comes complete with:

• Characters that have more than 10 joints!

• New facial animations that feature blinking eyes and eye lids!

• And of course, mouth animations that can move at least half a centimeter instead of not at all!

• I know I am excited.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo