Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer

This trailer profiles the Witch Doctor class in Diablo III, Blizzard's imminent action/RPG sequel (thanks Ant). The clip shows concept art and gameplay footage while an imposing voice over explains the Witch Doctor's powers to cause illness (hey, at least he makes house calls!).

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 27, 2012, 14:08 Derpolator

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 20:31:
LanikTnt wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 19:49:
Diablo 3 (2012) = Diablo 1 (1996) with 2006 graphics

If that sounds good to you, congratulations! If that seems uninnovative, then keep looking.

Nail, meet Head. spot on.
Because Diablo I had an arena system, amirite?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 20:31 RollinThundr

LanikTnt wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 19:49:

If that sounds good to you, congratulations! If that seems uninnovative, then keep looking.

Nail, meet Head. spot on.

37. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 19:49 LanikTnt

36. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 18:40 RollinThundr

PHJF wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:58:
It's a Diablo game, the series has always been about that next shiny purple rare since the story line has generally been non existant for the most part and laughably bad.

Since when does Diablo have "purple rares"???

oh jesus, legendary, or whatever, you knew what I meant. Whatever

35. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 18:06 Quinn

What I hate about this character is not that it's basically the WoW warlock class -- which you don't really want in a Diablo kinda game, imo -- but the whole thing it represents.

What gave them the idea that a ricebelly with parkinson is anywhere near as cool as a charismatic although bloodchilling necromancer? This WD look is just horrible and not in the least heroic. Bah.

Seriously though, I think they dropped the looks ball on every class. The Demon Hunter looks like Justin Bieber gone gothic, the Monk looks like Osama Bin Laden and... neh the mage and barbarian are alright, I guess.

I notice that in all new games they try to be creative with the characters, completely ditching the favorite stereotypes people have grown to love for a reason. Where's the literal knight/paladin in shining armor, for example?

Every character in D3 is "Meh.", except for the WD. That one is just "Ugh! Get out of my face!".

Gameplay wise I guess most gamers will have a character that suits their taste, luckily.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

34. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 16:58 PHJF

It's a Diablo game, the series has always been about that next shiny purple rare since the story line has generally been non existant for the most part and laughably bad.

Since when does Diablo have "purple rares"???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

33. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 13:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Jivaro wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:29:
Dhalsim-a-like perhaps?

Well, I can see where you would get the Dhalsim feel, from his nose/earrings and bald head, skin tone, etc.

However Dhalsim's physique, if you go back and look at that game, is RIPPED. The Witch Doctor on the other hand is in starvation mode, hence the distended belly and twitching. Not really as heroic as I personally would have liked, but he's quickly enveloped in armor and it's not as distracting.

I'll still be rocking a Witch Doctor, on release day, assuming the servers don't melt into slag.

32. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 13:02 RollinThundr

peteham wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:35:
FWIW, someone sent me this http://i.imgur.com/ruwuL.jpg

As for MF, I hadn't heard of this but I think it's a sensible change. Especially now with individual loot. What, player A should just be able to deck himself out in full MF gear, contribute far less to the overall efficiency of the group, and then sit back and profit as the personalized loot appears? It's also nice for removing the whole deal with one player in MF gear performing killing blows. Though personally, as far as MF goes, I wish they'd dropped it all together.

That img is so misleading. Runes really don't make that much of a difference. D2 had 30 skills, D3 has 28.

I agree with you about MF, the game should just drop items regardless of a player having to make sure he has some ungodly amout of MF% on each item to find the best loot.

31. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:58 peteham

avianflu wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:48:
Diablo 3 was built for massive multiplayer, so be ready for that.

I healthily doubt the single player will be worth the price of the game. Wont know until release.
Yep. Some people almost seem to be expecting a story-driven CRPG. That's certainly never been the case with the previous games, where most of the story is actually delivered through the manuals. And it won't be the case here. Some speech-bubbles here and there and no doubt a handful of amazing cut-scenes courtesy of Blizzard's cinematics department, but that's about it.

In any case, I found both D1 and D2 to be passable as single-player games (in particular D1, but I was young and impressionable then...), but not much more than that. MP is where this series really shines.

30. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:48 avianflu

Diablo 3 was built for massive multiplayer, so be ready for that.

I healthily doubt the single player will be worth the price of the game. Wont know until release.

29. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:35 peteham

FWIW, someone sent me this http://i.imgur.com/ruwuL.jpg

As for MF, I hadn't heard of this but I think it's a sensible change. Especially now with individual loot. What, player A should just be able to deck himself out in full MF gear, contribute far less to the overall efficiency of the group, and then sit back and profit as the personalized loot appears? It's also nice for removing the whole deal with one player in MF gear performing killing blows. Though personally, as far as MF goes, I wish they'd dropped it all together.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 09:45.

28. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:00 RollinThundr

Zadig wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 08:04:
eunichron wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 14:35:
Not sure if stress testers had access to the beta forums or not, but there was a post not too long ago that said Nightmare and Hell difficulty will ramp up obscenely, and that crowd control will be essential to defeating them.

The developers didn't think Diablo 2 would become a farming simulator with players able to solo-8 hell mode continually spamming their abilities, but that's what the game turned into and probably what made it so popular. If they really do change it I doubt they'll make as many people happy, though it would be the ultimate irony if Blizzard ruined a promising game by trying to make it more like WoW.

But that is exactly what they have done, dumbed the game down to WoW levels trying to attract more casuals while flipping off their base who enjoyed finding new builds that would be viable and fun.

There are 3 other difficulties aside from Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno, with Magic Find and difficulty level being the largest contributors to what epic level of loot you find.

For a game that is essentially all about looking for loot I have a feeling those playing on said higher difficulty levels will enjoy lots of frustration, especially with the change that the more people you're playing with in a given game, it takes everyone's MF and rounds it out rather than it being based off of indivuals particular percentage. Another bone headed design decision on a backload of terrible design decisions that plague this game.

When you add in the 2004 graphic's engine, the real money AH, and the always on DRM, it's amazing to me it took them 12 years to make this considering work originally started on Diablo 3 in 2000.

27. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 08:04 Zadig

eunichron wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 14:35:
Not sure if stress testers had access to the beta forums or not, but there was a post not too long ago that said Nightmare and Hell difficulty will ramp up obscenely, and that crowd control will be essential to defeating them.

The developers didn't think Diablo 2 would become a farming simulator with players able to solo-8 hell mode continually spamming their abilities, but that's what the game turned into and probably what made it so popular. If they really do change it I doubt they'll make as many people happy, though it would be the ultimate irony if Blizzard ruined a promising game by trying to make it more like WoW.

26. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 18:24 DrEvil

Jivaro wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:29:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:56:
Only dislike I have with the Witch Doctor is his lack of a more heroic physique. The Male WD has the distended belly of a starving man, along with the trembling shakes of an addict. In comparison, the 80 year old Barbarian has biceps that weigh more than the other characters combined... Blizzard really could have gone with a wide receiver type physique, or even a marathon runner physique if they wanted to stay ultra skinny and a more confident stance, but oh well.

Dhalsim-a-like perhaps?

I immediately thought of street fighter whenever I saw the Witch Doctor. I kept expecting his arms or legs to stretch out for physical attacks 8)

25. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 16:29 Jivaro

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:56:
Only dislike I have with the Witch Doctor is his lack of a more heroic physique. The Male WD has the distended belly of a starving man, along with the trembling shakes of an addict. In comparison, the 80 year old Barbarian has biceps that weigh more than the other characters combined... Blizzard really could have gone with a wide receiver type physique, or even a marathon runner physique if they wanted to stay ultra skinny and a more confident stance, but oh well.

Dhalsim-a-like perhaps?

24. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 16:14 briktal

PHJF wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:40:

Easier said than done. Crowd control comes at the expense of damage dealt, and damage not being dealt is time being wasted. Diablo is not an MMO and they'll be infuriating a lot of people if they turn boss runs into raid-like affairs that are impossible to solo and that take hours to complete.

Diablo has been/should always be about killing gobs of monsters in quick fashion.

Well, part of it is also not dying.

23. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 16:08 PropheT

Easier said than done. Crowd control comes at the expense of damage dealt, and damage not being dealt is time being wasted.

Hit and run has always been a tactic in Diablo, though. You're doing more damage if you can use crowd control to stand and deliver than you are if you're forced to run and shoot.

22. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

The Witch Doctor owns. I will probably give in, and play Barbarian first (for a planned coop group), but WD will be a close second, probably solo. Giant Toad > Diablo 3.

21. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 15:41 Dades

Easier said than done. Crowd control comes at the expense of damage dealt, and damage not being dealt is time being wasted. Diablo is not an MMO and they'll be infuriating a lot of people if they turn boss runs into raid-like affairs that are impossible to solo and that take hours to complete.

Diablo has been/should always be about killing gobs of monsters in quick fashion.

Exactly this.

20. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 15:40 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo