Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer

This trailer profiles the Witch Doctor class in Diablo III, Blizzard's imminent action/RPG sequel (thanks Ant). The clip shows concept art and gameplay footage while an imposing voice over explains the Witch Doctor's powers to cause illness (hey, at least he makes house calls!).

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 15:21 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 13:13:
Like a lot of other people I couldn't even get the game to install. You'd think Blizzard might want to focus on actrually getting their crap to run first.

Krowen thinks you should get a new computer I'm sure. Jester

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 14:35 eunichron

He's not a Summoner in the classic sense that the Diablo 2 Necro was (who was by far my favorite class in any Diablo game), but it's pretty close. I enjoyed the several playthroughs of WD I've done, but I think Demon Hunter will still be my favorite.

PHJF wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 12:24:
Because unless D3 is vastly different from D2, crowd control is worthless. Diablo is all about damage. Why bother controlling a crowd when it's easier and faster to kill it?

Not sure if stress testers had access to the beta forums or not, but there was a post not too long ago that said Nightmare and Hell difficulty will ramp up obscenely, and that crowd control will be essential to defeating them.

17. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:13 Cutter

Like a lot of other people I couldn't even get the game to install. You'd think Blizzard might want to focus on actrually getting their crap to run first.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:04 CJ_Parker

I like the dude. Everyone's played a wizard or a fighter (Barb) or a monk in some game or another but the witch doc is at least somewhat semi-unique. I also liked the dude's accent, his dry sense of humor and the whole spiritual angle. Cool guy. Imma gunna play dis fuckah!

15. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:01 Bhruic

In the beta, the only thing you can actually summon is some zombie dogs that are absolutely worthless.

Hardly worthless. Other than the fight with the Skeleton King, the dogs did quite well. They aren't really meant to kill things themselves (although they can), they are meant to be meat shields. Mine handled that decently, for the most part, allowing me to kill stuff without getting hit a lot.

14. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 12:24 PHJF

Problem is he is not a summoner. Almost all his offensive skills are direct dmg skills that just have summoner-like animations. In the beta, the only thing you can actually summon is some zombie dogs that are absolutely worthless. Witch Doctor is basically a wizard restricted to short-medium range DPS.

WD seems to have the best options in terms of crowd control.

Because unless D3 is vastly different from D2, crowd control is worthless. Diablo is all about damage. Why bother controlling a crowd when it's easier and faster to kill it?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 12:14 gilly775

Too bad there's no moddability. The mods from D2 that served up some crazy skeleton/golem/spirit summoning were awesome. I think at one point I could summon 30 skeletons, a couple of golems, and some ghasts.  

12. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 12:02 Jivaro

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:49:
However, I have to say that I'm not particularly sold on this class but that's simply because in any game such as this, I tend to favor the melee-class where I can be in the thick of things to bust some skulls.

And that is really what it comes down, preference of playstyle. I can play any one of the classes in D3 and be just as effective....that doesn't mean I am having an equal amount of fun though. If someone plays the Witch Doctor and comes away feeling like they are the weakest class it is because they either don't know how to play it or don't want to play it. Which is totally fine. That is the whole reason there is multiple different classes.....different strokes for different folks.

I personally found the Wizard to be the least satisfying class to play, which is odd because that is the one I went into the beta expecting to love. I think it has to do with the first few spells you learn, I found them to be kind of awkward compared to my "expectations". I ended up being fairly attached to the Demon Hunter and the Monk. The Barbarian is cool, but pure melee is not my bag generally. The Witch Doctor was my highest DPS character overall, by a large margin, which I didn't expect. Not my thing, but very effective.

I am still not fond of the new skill/runes system, and I am a little disappointed that we only got to try the easiest difficulty level...but the game is definitely a Blizzard game in terms of polish.

11. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:49 Wallshadows

It's by no means a bad class and will likely be one of the stronger candidates for deeper progression in to Inferno as other have said due to the utility it can bring.

However, I have to say that I'm not particularly sold on this class but that's simply because in any game such as this, I tend to favor the melee-class where I can be in the thick of things to bust some skulls.

While this is not the Necromancer of old, it'll fill that niche quite well and if I were to make a range class, this will likely be it.

10. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:42 Beamer

Bucky wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:37:
The Witch Doctor is going to be my second class behind the Barbarian. WD seems to be the least popular of the classes, but to each his own. I personally love the chaotic feel of the combat, not to mention the WD seems to have the best options in terms of crowd control.

How can you not love a class that can rain frogs upon your enemies?

I'm sold.
I was a huge summoner in D2 as well, so this sounds up my alley.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:37 Bucky

The Witch Doctor is going to be my second class behind the Barbarian. WD seems to be the least popular of the classes, but to each his own. I personally love the chaotic feel of the combat, not to mention the WD seems to have the best options in terms of crowd control.

How can you not love a class that can rain frogs upon your enemies?

8. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 Bhruic

I've only tried the Wizard and Witch Doctor so far, and have to say the WD seems like a better class. Of course, I was a big fan of summons in D2, so that's probably shading my perceptions, but I definitely had more fun with it.  

7. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:31 Pigeon

I'm working on a witch doctor now, they certainly have the most unique skills. So far I'm not noticing the stopping power the barbarian, wizard and demon hunter have. Could just be my gear, or maybe I've not unlocked the good skill yet.  

6. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:22 heroin

Yeah, I had a great time summoning demon dogs, fire breathing bats, jars of spiders, and launching frogsplosions and watching the mess unfold.  

5. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:44 AngelicPenguin

By far this is the dumbest class in the new game. Get rid of this shit and give us the Druid or Pally back!

Odd - I played through the beta with every character and the Witch Doctor was my favorite. Different strokes I guess...

4. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:34 Mikus_Aurelius

I was really skeptical about D3, but I really liked the stress test. Obviously the difficulty isn't there in the first 10 levels, but a bunch of the mechanics people have decried turned out to really work for me.  

3. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:11 Verno

Hudson wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 09:55:
By far this is the dumbest class in the new game. Get rid of this shit and give us the Druid or Pally back!

Why? The Witch Hunter is awesome, hes got crazy amounts of versatility and the game needs a summon heavy class. He and the DH will probably be the strongest classes in Hell/Inferno difficulty.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

2. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:09 wonkawonka

I haven't played the beta so I don't know any class.
It looks like some kind of all-around magician, mostly summoner and controller. Why is it dumb? Is it missing critical aspects?

1. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 09:55 Angrius Maximis

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo