Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Last night it became apparent that an advertisement was running here that shouldn't have been, as it was a video that popped up, which was already too much before you even get to the fact that it automatically played audio. The good news is that while this was a slip by the ad provider, they were on top of it once I brought it to their attention, and it was apparently removed a few minutes after they were informed. Apologies if you encountered this, there should be no pop ups here, nor do we allow ads that play uninitiated sounds.

Sound Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Basket Balls - Level Pack.
Nano Kingdoms.
Links: Roosevelt The Off-Roading Dog.
Stories: Florida Man Charged With Felony for Allegedly Stealing $1 Cup of Soda From McDonald's.
Dangerous booby traps found on popular Utah trail.
Soccer ball swept up by Japanese tsunami found in Alaska. Thanks Boing Boing.
Images: Check out some insane Return of the Jedi storyboards!. Thanks nin.
Media: 100 Greatest Nicolas Cage Movie Quotes. NSFW.
Donald Trump Puppet Sings Bohemian Rhapsody.
Girl swallowed by pavement in China.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: 'Gaia' scientist James Lovelock: I was 'alarmist' about climate change. Thanks Glen.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 19:19 Mr. Tact

Ah, I meant that "you'd" as the plural. Guess it would have been more clear to say, "anyone would" instead of "you would" -- no harm, no foul.
Damn imprecise language, where is Marain when you need it.

Have a good one.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 07:51.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 18:46 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:40:
Okay stay calm, I certainly am. I did not mean to imply you personally were excusing their actions. Rereading my post, I don't think I did that, but I'll apologize anyway if you think I did. I'm sorry.

Apologies if I didn't seem calm. Admittedly I'm a pretty intense person, so sometimes when writing my thoughts out they might come off a bit more hostile than intended.

I was asking what the supposed intent other than harming others. I was attempting to state even if they had no intent to harm others and are in fact total morons, it doesn't mean they aren't guilty of a criminal act.

In your previous comment you said, "you'd have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve jail time," so I took that to mean you thought I was advocating a position that there shouldn't be punitive measures taken.
I felt that the point of 'ignorance and stupidity of a law does not equal innocence' was fairly obvious, so when you said as much, combined with your previous comment, it came across to me that you thought I was trying to excuse their behavior because they are morons. My bad.

If they are that stupid and/or were having "fun" under the influence, at the very least I hope this incident increases the frequency of them actually turning their brains on.

We can hope as much!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 17:40 Mr. Tact

Okay stay calm, I certainly am. I did not mean to imply you personally were excusing their actions. Rereading my post, I don't think I did that, but I'll apologize anyway if you think I did. I'm sorry.

I was asking what the supposed intent other than harming others. I was attempting to state even if they had no intent to harm others and are in fact total morons, it doesn't mean they aren't guilty of a criminal act.

If they are that stupid and/or were having "fun" under the influence, at the very least I hope this incident increases the frequency of them actually turning their brains on.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 16:16 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:23:
Draugr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:15:
But I do believe them they say they weren't intending to hurt people, which was my only point...
If you believe this please tell me what you think their intent was. Stupidity, like ignorance, is not a valid excuse for criminal acts.

Seriously?
I don't know how much clearer I can make this, I'M NOT EXCUSING ANYONES BEHAVIOR. since you seem to think I am, please show me the line(s) of text that shows I've been holding that position/that leads you to believe this, Or let it go.
No one deserves a pass, and no one has called for one, you're trying to make me hold a position I'm not advocating. Me pointing out these guys probably did this for some stupid/foolish fun, and not malice does not imply, 'so lets just forget this ever happened.'

I believe their intent was to set up a bunch of traps for fun, but they didn't think of the concequences of their actions; that they weren't the only people who'd be passing through the area.

Again, let me clarify, since you might keep asking me. I'm not advocating they get a pass, or that them being dumb excuses their actions...That doesn't mean the only reason they could have done what they did was due to malicious intent, and not just stupidity.
Having known these two for some time, and them being some of the dumbest, yet nicest people I know, I'd certainly find them being a dumbass a more reasonable explanation than, 'They wanted to hurt unknown random people for no reason.' Hanlons razor's certainly makes more sense here.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 15:23 Mr. Tact

Draugr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:15:
But I do believe them they say they weren't intending to hurt people, which was my only point...
If you believe this please tell me what you think their intent was. Stupidity, like ignorance, is not a valid excuse for criminal acts.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 15:34.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 15:15 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:11:
Draugr wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:10:
I'd be absolutely shocked if they had any malicious intent towards people, but they are dumb enough to do something like this without thinking of the consequences/repercussions to others.
What other kind of intent could they have possibly had?

If they were under 14 I might be more willing to acknowledge the probability they didn't consider or conceive the consequences and/or repercussions. However, at 19 and 21, they should know better. If they are guilty of setting the traps, you'd have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve jail time. I'd rather jail these guys than pot smokers.

I think that this is an example of hanlon's razor.

Apparently you've never met immature people. These are people that don't really 'act their age' and usually have the behaviors of people expected from younger people.

I'd also like to point out that at no point, did I imply or say that they deserve a pass. There should be concequencesbei89ng a dumbass, young or old, doesn't excuse anything. But I do believe them they say they weren't intending to hurt people, which was my only point...

It's almost a sure thing they were getting high(cannabis) while up there, This could certainly effect someone's judgement, (On top of these guys being morons, which would already put them at risk of doing something stupid.)

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 13:11 Mr. Tact

Draugr wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:10:
I'd be absolutely shocked if they had any malicious intent towards people, but they are dumb enough to do something like this without thinking of the consequences/repercussions to others.
What other kind of intent could they have possibly had?

If they were under 14 I might be more willing to acknowledge the probability they didn't consider or conceive the consequences and/or repercussions. However, at 19 and 21, they should know better. If they are guilty of setting the traps, you'd have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve jail time. I'd rather jail these guys than pot smokers.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 05:15 Dev

Gabe confirmed DOTA 2 will be F2P:
Text for your Link

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 00:52 Herzog

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 20:31:
there should be no pop ups here, nor do we allow ads that play uninitiated sounds.

Cuz Blue is awesome like that.

I saw those ads and thought they were scroll over activated so I just refreshed the page --- the worst part was the adserver was slowing the pageload perceptibly.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 20:31 jdreyer

there should be no pop ups here, nor do we allow ads that play uninitiated sounds.

Cuz Blue is awesome like that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 18:08  Blue 

Dev wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 14:42:
Blue,
I posted about that series of ads from cdn.adexcite.com 3 days ago in OOB. Would it be better to email you about it when I spot this kinda thing again?

I guess so, yeah. Hopefully it won't come up, but if it does, please do shoot me a mail.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 16:10 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:27:
The 20-pound spiked boulder was rigged to swing at head-level with just a trip of a thin wire a military-like booby trap set on a popular Utah canyon trail.

Someone's taking their larping a bit too seriously.

Any unsuspecting hiker exploring the makeshift dead-wood shelter could have fallen prey.

Two men arrested over the weekend on suspicion of misdemeanor reckless endangerment told authorities the traps were intended for wildlife, but investigators don't believe the story.

Wow, so these guys intent on mudering someone are arrested on a misdemeanour, and a guy who rips off McDs for a dimes worth of soda is charged with a felony and faces up to 5 years in prison. Nice legal system you got there, America.

I actually know these guys, one of them is in a band with my younger brother. (I've lived in Utah for over 10 yrs, now :()

Needless to say, they are morons. Bear Gryll's is like a hero to one of these guys...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 15:27 Cutter

The 20-pound spiked boulder was rigged to swing at head-level with just a trip of a thin wire a military-like booby trap set on a popular Utah canyon trail.

Someone's taking their larping a bit too seriously.

Any unsuspecting hiker exploring the makeshift dead-wood shelter could have fallen prey.

Two men arrested over the weekend on suspicion of misdemeanor reckless endangerment told authorities the traps were intended for wildlife, but investigators don't believe the story.

Wow, so these guys intent on mudering someone are arrested on a misdemeanour, and a guy who rips off McDs for a dimes worth of soda is charged with a felony and faces up to 5 years in prison. Nice legal system you got there, America.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 15:25 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:26:

Great guy! Wonder how long people would have walked by the hole, if he hadn't seen she fell in, and stopped?

Probably till she came to and called out for help. Still, that was whack, yo!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 14:42 Dev

Blue,
I posted about that series of ads from cdn.adexcite.com 3 days ago in OOB. Would it be better to email you about it when I spot this kinda thing again?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 13:35 DNForever

Ads that play sounds are a deal breaker, I was pretty disappointed for a while but glad they're gone.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 11:50 Creston

We appreciate you staying on top of the irritating ads, Blue.

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 11:26 nin

Great guy! Wonder how long people would have walked by the hole, if he hadn't seen she fell in, and stopped?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo