Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st

The Call of Duty Website now offers a countdown clock, ticking off the 700,000+ seconds until May 1st, saying this is when we should expect a Call of Duty world premier during the NBA playoffs here in the U.S. It seems there will be more teasing about the future of the military shooter series between now and then, as the site also has a bunch of thumbnails listed as "classified," with some of them indicating they will be unlocked between now and May 1st. One of the images is already unlocked, but if it contains a clue about all this, it's pretty well obscured.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 24, 2012, 19:35 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 04:39:
Agreed. And ALWAYS USE HEADPHONES. I get a ton of kills just by listening to them clop along with their noisy feet.

I always get a laugh from friends and coworkers when I mention that I don't even own speakers. Need the headset for games and I've never really felt the need to annoy my neighbors with music or TV.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 24, 2012, 09:04 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 21:32:
There's only one game in that library, guess which one.

I wouldn't care if it got taken away, played it, done with it.

They don't take away your whole library anyway, just remove the "offending" game from it.

They can lock out your account from purchasing future games and remove the title in question but they do not ban or remove access to other existing titles that were purchased "legitimately". This is confirmed in their recently updated terms of service.

Most of that stuff goes largely unpunished as it is really easy to work around and a pain in the ass for Valve to track down. If they ever do proper region coding on actual accounts then people will be in trouble however.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

38. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 24, 2012, 07:34 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 21:32:
Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:58:
DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 18:17:
Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 16:58:

Ah, the grey market - the next thing the game industry will use to make your experience worse. Hooray!

Wrong, not grey market. Buying from some non-legit cd-key vendor on ebay is "grey market".

these aren't cd-key generated copies being sold or copies that "fell" off the back of a truck.

Uh, you don't know what grey market is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market#Computer_Games
Hey, check it out, it describes EXACTLY what you're doing.

Valve happily kills accounts that do this. Ever wonder why you're jumping through so many hoops that you actually need to VPN?
Because you're cheating the system and likely to lose your entire library for it.

They don't take away your whole library anyway, just remove the "offending" game from it.

Pretty sure they've removed accounts for it. While some people accidentally end up with grey market games, some people go to extreme steps to do it, like VPNing into the Ukraine.
Pretty certain Valve has banned those accounts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 24, 2012, 07:33 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 21:33:
Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 09:59:
In any case I'm still playing the crap out of this game. I play with a buddy that's terrible, and he keeps asking me to make him a guide on how to play, like I did for Gears of War Horde Mode (which was more or less tower defense, kind of how I think Dungeon Defenders must be.) The thing is, any game where you play against humans is fluid and by the time I finish the guide the strategies would be outdated and widely countered and whatever I say about weapons may be changed in a patch (akimbo guns where everywhere the first month or two, but hardly used now.)

I think that general experience in a wide array of online FPS is more beneficial than game specific strategies. I'm assuming you have a lot of FPS experience, does your friend? Reaction speed and hand-eye coordination are the obvious skills you pick up but one that gets overlooked is the ability to keep track of the unseen... By that I mean enemy locations, enemy health, map layout and navigation timing. The ability to intuitively keep track of more and more variables like that make you the better player. You know to ignore the terrible aiming guy right in front of you and go for his expert teammate behind him, after that's been taken care of you can return to the easy target. Your team is running down a hall and they pass a seldom used route that is empty at the time, before exiting that area you're the only one who does a milisecond 180 to check if anyone snuck up on you. Catch a glimpse of an enemy in a window in the distance and know that based on the map flow they'll be exiting right here... right now! That sounds like game specific knowledge but just the notion to even consider that comes with general FPS experience, most players are only reacting to what they can see.

I could ramble for days.

Yup, but it's been so long since I've stayed with a single game this long, or felt the community has. It reminds me of the early days of Dust being the only thing people played, before that got annoying as hell. Or maybe even of the Beta days when Desert would go from your least favorite map almost worth leaving the server to your favorite map because you realized going down the left side with a shotgun meant mowing every single person down

-------------

36. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 24, 2012, 04:39 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 21:33:
In any case I'm still playing the crap out of this game. I play with a buddy that's terrible, and he keeps asking me to make him a guide on how to play, like I did for Gears of War Horde Mode (which was more or less tower defense, kind of how I think Dungeon Defenders must be.) The thing is, any game where you play against humans is fluid and by the time I finish the guide the strategies would be outdated and widely countered and whatever I say about weapons may be changed in a patch (akimbo guns where everywhere the first month or two, but hardly used now.)

I think that general experience in a wide array of online FPS is more beneficial than game specific strategies. I'm assuming you have a lot of FPS experience, does your friend? Reaction speed and hand-eye coordination are the obvious skills you pick up but one that gets overlooked is the ability to keep track of the unseen... By that I mean enemy locations, enemy health, map layout and navigation timing. The ability to intuitively keep track of more and more variables like that make you the better player. You know to ignore the terrible aiming guy right in front of you and go for his expert teammate behind him, after that's been taken care of you can return to the easy target. Your team is running down a hall and they pass a seldom used route that is empty at the time, before exiting that area you're the only one who does a milisecond 180 to check if anyone snuck up on you. Catch a glimpse of an enemy in a window in the distance and know that based on the map flow they'll be exiting right here... right now! That sounds like game specific knowledge but just the notion to even consider that comes with general FPS experience, most players are only reacting to what they can see.

I could ramble for days.

Agreed. And ALWAYS USE HEADPHONES. I get a ton of kills just by listening to them clop along with their noisy feet.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

35. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 21:33 Sepharo

I could ramble for days.

34. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 21:32 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:58:

Ah, the grey market - the next thing the game industry will use to make your experience worse. Hooray!

Wrong, not grey market. Buying from some non-legit cd-key vendor on ebay is "grey market".

these aren't cd-key generated copies being sold or copies that "fell" off the back of a truck.

Valve happily kills accounts that do this. Ever wonder why you're jumping through so many hoops that you actually need to VPN?
Because you're cheating the system and likely to lose your entire library for it.

33. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 21:30 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 18:56:
yes, that's a form of region locking. like I said some games do and some don't.

considering that IW treats the PC version like abandonware I guess they don't care, or are really, really slow at removing "out of territory" games.

You're gaming the global pricing system, which exists for a reason. Games should not be the same price in the US as Russia, for example, just like a house is not the same price in Mexico and Florida.

I'm not giving you a moral speech about it, but honestly if I were to have the mindset where fucking over devs and pubs is okay I would just pirate shit.

32. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 20:05 RaZ0r!

Black Ops is the only Call of Duty game I really didn't like. That said, I don't see any more games from this franchise in my future. I do foresee CS:GO taking over as my shooter of choice.  

31. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 19:58 Beamer

-------------

30. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 18:56 DangerDog

yes, that's a form of region locking. like I said some games do and some don't.

considering that IW treats the PC version like abandonware I guess they don't care, or are really, really slow at removing "out of territory" games.

29. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 18:25 nin

"Valve uses Steam for territory control to make sure products authorised for use in certain territories are not being distributed and used outside of those territories," the company said. "In this case, a Thai website was selling retail box product keys for Thailand to people outside of Thailand. Since those keys are only for use in Thailand, people who purchased product keys from the Thai website are not able to use those product keys in other territories."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 18:17 DangerDog

27. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 17:47 deqer

"CLASSIFIED"

lulz...

26. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 17:32 Jackplug

what they gonna reveal, that their main character is gay!!  

25. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 17:19 Dev

Watch out, valve has removed games from a steam account from doing that.  

24. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 16:58 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 16:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:40:
I still enjoy the campaigns in these games purely on spectacle and such... like a Michael Bay movie. That said Black Ops was the last one I will buy on day one, there's just not enough there for $60 if you're a singleplayer guy like me, and the formula is no longer exciting.

Sadly these drop in price SO slowly.

Bought my copy of MW3 from cddiski.ru for around $18, had to register using a VPN to make it look like I was in the Ukraine. English version no account banning or removal from my account, 100% legit.

Did the same thing with RAGE and Deus Ex using google translate since I don't know a lick of Russian.

Some games are region locked like Skyrim, so you have to be mindful of that.

-------------

23. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 16:51 DangerDog

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:40:
I still enjoy the campaigns in these games purely on spectacle and such... like a Michael Bay movie. That said Black Ops was the last one I will buy on day one, there's just not enough there for $60 if you're a singleplayer guy like me, and the formula is no longer exciting.

Sadly these drop in price SO slowly.

Bought my copy of MW3 from cddiski.ru for around $18, had to register using a VPN to make it look like I was in the Ukraine. English version no account banning or removal from my account, 100% legit.

Did the same thing with RAGE and Deus Ex using google translate since I don't know a lick of Russian.

Some games are region locked like Skyrim, so you have to be mindful of that.

22. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 16:45 nin

maddog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:57:
YES, training mode was a great addition. Hope they do it again in BLOPS2

Rhett wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:39:
I admit I dislike CoD (though I occasionally play it) and what it's done to the average gamer, but Black Ops was at least pretty cool. Especially the bots. Bots are far too rare nowadays. I hope Blops 2 brings them back. Not that I would pay full price for it, but it was so wonderful being able to play against something other than raging 10-year-olds with mics.

I enjoyed the bots also.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 16:06 Sempai

Yawn..

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo