Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2

Develop has some excerpts from the Seven Day Cooldown podcast where Valve's Gabe Newell addresses the uncertain state of Half-Life 3, though he coyly calls the sequel he's hypothetically discussing Ricochet 2. The context makes it pretty apparent he's not actually discussing a sequel to this Valve created Half-Life modification, but rather the next full Half-Life game, though this is never explicitly stated. He uses this codename to explain the corner Valve has painted itself into at this point in terms of announcing and creating a third Half-Life (or second Ricochet, if you prefer). Here are the pertinent quotes:

“In terms of Ricochet 2, we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance,” Newell said.

“We end up changing our minds as we're going through and developing stuff, so as we're thinking through the giant story arc which is Ricochet 2, you might get to a point where you're saying something is surprising us in a positive way and something is surprising us in a negative way, and, you know, we'd like to be super-transparent about the future of Ricochet 2.”

“The problem is, we think that the twists and turns that we're going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what's happening next,” he said.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

12. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 11:27 nin

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck, it's Hellbinder!

Down, Not Across, Dude.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. removed Apr 23, 2012, 11:10 Hellbinder

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 23, 2012, 11:55.

The Whales name is Bob.

10. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 11:07 deqer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632kyLysP6c  

9. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 11:04 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:56:
nin wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:01:
Think HL is pretty much done for me anyway. The last two "episodes" weren't that great. They'd have to really do something amazing for HL3, at this point.

Yeah, they were kinda "meh" to me as well. Tons of people hold up Episode 2 as this "best bittersweet ending ever!", and I was just like "oh, Eli's dead. Oh well."

I never cared for Eli, the game never really made me care all that much for him, so why was it such a big deal? Had ALEX died, that would have been far more memorable.

And that final battle in Ep 2 was just retarded. "Hey guys, know how you've always been able to kill Striders with a rocket launcher? Yeah, now we're gonna make you shoot big floaty bombs onto them to blow them up, and you can only carry one, and you have to keep running back to get more, and the striders are all over the landscape, and it's time-limited, oh, and to make it even better, we're putting 900 of those mini-striders with each big strider, and they blow up your bomb, so you have to kill all of them first, and they each still take 415 clips each to die! FUN RIGHT? "

Fuck episode 2.

Don't forget the stupid assed bug tunnels! And yeah, the last boss fight was a total mess. And to cap it all off with what they did to Eli?

Fuck that...

8. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 10:56 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:01:
Think HL is pretty much done for me anyway. The last two "episodes" weren't that great. They'd have to really do something amazing for HL3, at this point.

Yeah, they were kinda "meh" to me as well. Tons of people hold up Episode 2 as this "best bittersweet ending ever!", and I was just like "oh, Eli's dead. Oh well."

I never cared for Eli, the game never really made me care all that much for him, so why was it such a big deal? Had ALEX died, that would have been far more memorable.

And that final battle in Ep 2 was just retarded. "Hey guys, know how you've always been able to kill Striders with a rocket launcher? Yeah, now we're gonna make you shoot big floaty bombs onto them to blow them up, and you can only carry one, and you have to keep running back to get more, and the striders are all over the landscape, and it's time-limited, oh, and to make it even better, we're putting 900 of those mini-striders with each big strider, and they blow up your bomb, so you have to kill all of them first, and they each still take 415 clips each to die! FUN RIGHT? "

Fuck episode 2.

That said, eh, I'd still get HL3, most likely, especially if it offers 12-15 hours of gameplay like HL2.

I'm glad this at least puts an end to Valve's foray into "episodic gaming," which should hopefully forever put an end to that shit. (telltale games not included, as they do episodes right.)

Creston

7. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 10:35 theyarecomingforyou

I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for HL3. Few games have come close to their atmosphere and compelling narratives and each time Valve advanced the entire genre: in the first with scripted sequences and narrative; in the second with facial expressions, physics and vehicles.

I'm disappointed that it has taken this long but I honestly do expect it to be a genre defining game. I think it's clear now that the episodes have been abandoned and that HL3 is where they're working. And potentially we could see a crossover with the Portal universe.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 10:19 CommunistHamster

Anyone who follows any kind of hype machine (unlock a new trailer at 100000 likes, fan forums for games not yet released) at this point is just ruining the final game for themselves. Be patient and wait for it to come out.  

5. Take all the time you need. Apr 23, 2012, 10:03 Verno

Well I love the HL series and I'm willing to give them as long as it takes. I have yet to play a Valve game that wasn't excellent value for the money and they're always very entertaining.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

4. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 10:01 nin

3. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 09:53 Beamer

I've gone through the damned-if-they-do,damned-if-they-don't issue with hype and how even the mostly savvy users of this forum tend to, as a whole, crucify anyone regardless of when they announce a game, but it's interesting that he talks about changing things.

Remember Mr. Friendly and the snarks? I do. Mr. Friendly was cut from the game, and if I recall snarks were supposed to run free through HL and eat dead bodies, so rather than disappear after a few seconds they'd decompose as animals feasted on them. Maybe it wasn't snarks, maybe it was something else. There was also supposed to be another little cute, friendly animal you could throw as bait (which may have been in Blue Shift?) All cool stuff we discussed for hours in #half-life in the year before launch. All cut.

HL2 had that really cool tentacle you saw everywhere (because Valve only released like 4 screen shots) that never made it.

TF2 was a military game.

Valve, in particular, feels easy to point at cut features. Probably because I've (and fans as a whole) scrutinized them more than any other company, save maybe Blizzard.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 09:38 007Bistromath

On behalf of the six people who would actually want a sequel to Ricochet: screw you, gaben.  

1. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 09:37 InBlack

Smells like Valve is pulling a "Duke Nukem Forever" to me.....

I have a nifty blue line!

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo