Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Earth Day 2012, though I'm sure I've previously expressed that every day should be Earth Day, like in the old Peanuts cartoon where they point out every day is children's day. We celebrated by doing a lot more work on our disaster of a backyard yesterday, and a large portion of the downed wood from the winter is gone. And I'll just pretend that burning charcoal on the grill just emits lavender-scented oxygen and see how denial works on that.

Earthy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Turbo Kids.
Facebookeria.
Links: 10 things not to say to someone when they're ill. Thanks Neatorama.
Capybaras That Look Like Rafael Nadal.
Stories: Wal-Mart silenced Mexican bribe inquiry.
Rare Egyptian ‘Book of the Dead’ scrolls found in Australian collection.
Science: Regenerative medicine repairs mice from top to toe. Thanks Neatorama.
Scientists create artificial genetic material XNA.
Plans afoot to tap Iceland's geothermal energy with 745-mile cable.
Media: Things YouTube Commenters Say (And Why You Shouldn't).
Jedi Junkies.
Dog Food Disaster as opposed to 2 Days of Cat vs. Automatic Feeder.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-up: Moving day for Discovery.
Timelapse Footage - Space Shuttle at the Mate-Demate Device.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 22:54 eRe4s3r

If you knew what I meant then there is no point to reply further, because I agree

That said, Russia is indeed a fine example but other countries are examples on how the current time can still bring about change and shifts for the better. Not every nation has to descent into a neo-fascist oligopoly or a corporate-controlled nation. But when you say Russia while true there is a far better example -> Hungary.

Anyway, this discussion is depressing as is any foray into the realties of human civilization. So let's leave it at that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 19:43 space captain

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 18:07:
I mean that because of what church did back then today this is not so in most of Europe. The church would not have done what it has done where it part of a strict caste system. But had it been part of a caste system it would have turned out much worse for us here in Europe.

The USA sadly, had not any of the experiences that shaped Europe in the same way which is why you still have to fight against repressive religious nutjobs trying to press their view on EVERYONE and make it not an option to disagree. Not by laws, but by simple peer pressure.

i didnt really make it a point to say the caste system is ridiculously stupid because it seems obvious enough already, but i dont really consider europe somehow above the kind of discrimination and control-freak behavior that is essentially the same thing.. russia is a fine example

you are also forgetting that it was the puritans that settled america to begin with

not sure what you mean by "Radicalism is not a monopoly," because it doesnt make any sense

religion isnt the origin of the problem... humanity is the real problem - its the human condition itself that can turn anything into a weapon of oppression

in your terms, the new "religion" is politics

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 19:05 Prez

"Earth Day" sounds like Xmas for druids or a pagan holiday commemorated by lots of pagan rituals.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 18:07 eRe4s3r

I mean that because of what church did back then today this is not so in most of Europe. The church would not have done what it has done where it part of a strict caste system. But had it been part of a caste system it would have turned out much worse for us here in Europe.

In many ways, The system you describe is as regressive as it is because it's a system the people accept to live in be it in India or any other place where religion has corrupted the core of the nation. Where-as the world war, French revolution, the fall of Prussia all the way back to Rome conquering these European regions all played a part in cutting the religion out of the nation eventually.

The USA sadly, had not any of the experiences that shaped Europe in the same way which is why you still have to fight against repressive religious nutjobs trying to press their view on EVERYONE and make it not an option to disagree. Not by laws, but by simple peer pressure.

Radicalism is not a monopoly, every religion that exists breeds it when it makes the claim that "their view" is the better. (And not equal to other views).

In a caste system this is ten times worse, because there is no limiting it. The castes won't allow politicians in power that work against the castes. And that way, the religious caste will grow in power until it eventually becomes the nations ruling head. The nation will stop improving and developing besides of what citizen run companies can do to do so (which is a lot, but not enough).

This is also why I think India has not a single chance competing against China.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2012, 17:56 Cutter

Man, I could go for some good deli right about now. I'd love to nosh on a knish.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 17:19 space captain

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 16:30:
Interestingly. The trading castes in Europe were strictly apart from Religion which is maybe why society developed like it did. Had religion be a caste on the same level as other castes it might have ended up shaping the society far more than if religion is an independent (from castes) organization.

doesnt sound like you are looking very deeply at it.. the catholic church controlled europe for centuries, especially during the "dark ages" when it was most heinous

regarding ancient cultures, and even well into the renaissance period, its generally the same wherever you look at it, the people who supposedly have the connection to the divine (the hotline to god or whatever) are the elite, and they call the shots.. because they are connected (and dialoging, mediating, whatever) to the power that supposedly created and controls the world through the laws of nature

the brahmins didnt create the idea of karma and all that, they twisted it to their own use... much like the egyptian priests, the christians, the jews, the muslims, even the buddhists and so on - the manipulation came about through the systematization and leveraged societal implementation of the "higher truths" originally revealed by people who really didnt give a shit about society at all, for the most part

thats the grey area.. mixing the individual with the collective - because essentially the real religious/mystical/metaphysical/magical shit is entirely a personal thing... even the idea of sacrifice and service and compassion and so forth is (at best) a consequence of being personally in harmony with the impersonal, the All or whatever (as above, so below.. on earth as it is in heaven... microcosm/macrocosm.. etc), or (more selfishly) as a way to gain more personal grace/love/peace/power/connection/etc.

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 16:30 eRe4s3r

Heh but that is not a scam the, that is just clever interpreting of a societies rules. IF a country is based on castes what you did you expect to happen? The caste that governs morality and religion is gonna be at the top. Because it can make rules by itself to make everyone depend upon themselves. They can lobby for monopoly on certain services, extending their grasp.

This is a good example on why caste societies are terribly broken-by-design.

Interestingly. The trading castes in Europe were strictly apart from Religion which is maybe why society developed like it did. Had religion be a caste on the same level as other castes it might have ended up shaping the society far more than if religion is an independent (from castes) organization.

The latter creates a far more non-exclusive religion which is really what religion is all about. But castes are about profits and protectorates, something religious institutions should never care about! Sure, they can MAKE profits, but that is not their GOAL ;p

And non-caste based religions also do not need to abide to family trees when choosing personal. That way anyone who feels like it has a chance to join, which is very important for an religion (creates localized illusion that you can be integral part of the "religion" and not just bystander).

Wait.. that was off-topic i think

4. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 16:19 space captain

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 16:10:
Good to see that some things never change then Religion was and still is a huge scam.

thats also why the brahmins (priests) are at the top of the hindu caste system.. and why they twisted it into a matter of birthright and "good karma" rather than personal ability, which is what it was originally used for... allocating people to the proper jobs and so forth

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 16:10 eRe4s3r

Good to see that some things never change then Religion was and still is a huge scam.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2012, 15:41 tj

My brain turned Jedi Junkies and Dog Food Disaster into Jodie Foster Disaster. I thought oh no, what funny thing happened to Jody? I reread it and thought oh. Drag.  

1. sold it, smoked it, settled it Apr 22, 2012, 15:02 space captain

the egyptian book of the dead is pretty interesting stuff... it was individualized for each person who requested a copy, and basically its a cheat-sheet to get around all the demons/gods/afterlife situations and crazy quests someone has to go thru to get to aaru, the field of reeds.. not to mention the weighing of the heart against the feather of maat, the first example of a "judgement day" on record... also, all the specific 10 commandments are found in it, as well as many, many more

but the main point is that it was only for people who could afford it, as the shit was expensive.. and the priests made a killing on that industry.. especially since you could supposedly get to paradise without actually being a "good" or ethically pure person if you owned one and memorized all the magic spells and tricks to get around the afterlife gods encountered in the journey thru the land of the dead

Go forth, and kill!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo