Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer

GameTrailers.com now offers a teaser trailer for Crysis 3, Crytek's upcoming first-person shooter sequel. This teaser is shorter than the commercial it follows, but it concludes saying to expect a gameplay trailer on April 24th. In the meantime we get glimpses of the game's depiction of a partially overgrown NYC, that new bow weapon, and, of course, plenty of hexagons.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 23, 2012, 01:56 Jerykk

Dades wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 00:25:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 23:59:
Because they purposely made it more of an action game to appeal to a more mainstream audience (one of the designers even compared it to Halo). Dead Space was full of tension, and was the last great survival-horror game I played. Dead Space 2, while very enjoyable as a third-person shooter, wasn't even the least bit scary to me.

Wait, what? Dead Space was just as much a shooter as DS2. Seriously, you spend the entire game dismembering aliens with lasers. If you see an alien, you kill it. There's no hiding or running away (unless you were fighting the one invincible alien in both games). Both games had great atmosphere but weren't particularly scary because, again, you could kill anything that posed a threat. Both games were shooters, first and foremost. DS2 was just more of the same. It really baffles me that someone could find DS1 scary but not DS2, when they share the same fundamental gameplay and even most of the same enemies.

It was all about the setting. People find the setting of an abandoned ship more claustrophobic and unsettling. Dead Space 2 was almost ham fisted with things like the school, it felt like you were just drifting between set pieces. Giving Isaac a voice lessened a lot of the tension and immersion with the first games silent protagonist. You were no longer participating in events unfolding, you were just watching them happen and listening to Isaac make quips or shout obscenities.

While I agree that Dead Space had a more claustrophobic and consistent setting and that the voiced protagonist hurt the immersion, none of those things really change the fact that both games feature equal amounts of alien killing. It takes more than a creepy setting or atmosphere to make a survival-horror game. Poor lighting and gross monsters don't inspire fear when you can just whip out your laser cutter and slice them into little chunks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 23, 2012, 00:25 Dades

Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 23:59:
Because they purposely made it more of an action game to appeal to a more mainstream audience (one of the designers even compared it to Halo). Dead Space was full of tension, and was the last great survival-horror game I played. Dead Space 2, while very enjoyable as a third-person shooter, wasn't even the least bit scary to me.

Wait, what? Dead Space was just as much a shooter as DS2. Seriously, you spend the entire game dismembering aliens with lasers. If you see an alien, you kill it. There's no hiding or running away (unless you were fighting the one invincible alien in both games). Both games had great atmosphere but weren't particularly scary because, again, you could kill anything that posed a threat. Both games were shooters, first and foremost. DS2 was just more of the same. It really baffles me that someone could find DS1 scary but not DS2, when they share the same fundamental gameplay and even most of the same enemies.

It was all about the setting. People find the setting of an abandoned ship more claustrophobic and unsettling. Dead Space 2 was almost ham fisted with things like the school, it felt like you were just drifting between set pieces. Giving Isaac a voice lessened a lot of the tension and immersion with the first games silent protagonist. You were no longer participating in events unfolding, you were just watching them happen and listening to Isaac make quips or shout obscenities.

41. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 22, 2012, 23:59 Jerykk

If you want real survival horror, you should play Amnesia or Penumbra. If you want a valid example of a survival horror series being turned into a shooter, look at Resident Evil.

40. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 22, 2012, 08:36 Rigs

SXO wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 08:41:
YES!!!!! I miss having big manuals and even boxes for my games. I still kept all of my old ones. It was a ritual for me to explore the contents of the box, then spend 1 or 2 days reading the manual before I even started playing the game. Anyone remember the Falcon 4.0 manual?

We must've been separated at birth (or it's more common than I thought) because that is exactly the same thing I do...well, did when there are/were big ol' manuals in the box. Whereas most just grab the disc and install it right away and try to figure it out, I would carefully and methodically take everything out of the box one-by-one and lay them out. Then I'd read each thing and then start on the manual. After having read the manual, which sometimes would take more than one sitting, I'd load the game up, with manual close by, and begin.

I still have nearly every box to every game I've gotten for the last 20 years, stored in a plastic moving container, in a cool, dark place like my closet or under the bed. Occasionally I'll pull some of them out and read the manuals again (Microprose's Task Force 1942 being a favorite for reading, along with the first 'modern' PC game I ever bought (SIX months before buying a computer to play it on!) - Aces of the Pacific). As for Falcon4, I had the original 3-ring binder version of it (which I read often as well, along with the maps and making notes (on stickies, not in the manual itself - that's a no-no)) up until last December when I sold it to someone on SimHQ who would be able to play and use it more than I had time for lately.

This is a gaming tradition that NEEDS to come back! Indie developers are becoming all the rage nowadays, so this is a perfect time to bring back the manuals! Hell, include it with the 'perks' you get for funding a game. I'd gladly pitch in for it, and I'm sure many others would as well...

(Incidentally, I keep bringing this up but it does have relevance here so I'll mention it again - I have many, many games in my collection for sale on my blog and at SimHQ's Buy/Sell/Trade board , nearly all with boxes and manuals intact and pretty cheap. So if you're looking for something in particular, check it out!)

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

39. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 21:30 SXO

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 13:06:
SXO wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
game would've been like without EA's taint on the developer. Obviously it's a subjective thing to consider, and if you believe games like Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2 & Dead Space 2 are better than the originals, obviously we are of two separate minds on the matter.
Why lump Dead Space 2 in there? I don't recall much universal hate for it. Dead Space 2 was about as good as the first. They hardly changed anything, certainly not for the bad. I know EA is involved and it's a sequel, but let's be reasonable.
Because they purposely made it more of an action game to appeal to a more mainstream audience (one of the designers even compared it to Halo). Dead Space was full of tension, and was the last great survival-horror game I played. Dead Space 2, while very enjoyable as a third-person shooter, wasn't even the least bit scary to me. I liked both games, and have even recommended both to friends (with a disclaimer for DS2), but I'd say Dead Space > Dead Space 2. I included it in the list because despite it being universally liked, myself included, it was yet another example of a game making compromises to get sales numbers that would make daddy (EA) happy.

38. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 13:06 Dmitri_M

SXO wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
game would've been like without EA's taint on the developer. Obviously it's a subjective thing to consider, and if you believe games like Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2 & Dead Space 2 are better than the originals, obviously we are of two separate minds on the matter.
Why lump Dead Space 2 in there? I don't recall much universal hate for it. Dead Space 2 was about as good as the first. They hardly changed anything, certainly not for the bad. I know EA is involved and it's a sequel, but let's be reasonable.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 14:08.

37. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 08:41 SXO

Rigs wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 03:35:
You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

*A loud gasp and hushed silence falls over the internet* 'Did he...did he say what I think he said?!' MAKE YOUR TIME!

Name the last "awesome" game they made, then ask yourself what that game would've been like without EA's taint on the developer.

Well...LHX was pretty damn good. Seal Team kicked ass too.

Big manuals with lots of history and pictures need to make a comeback! How about a kickstarter for game manuals?! Now that's something I'd pay for! DL-what? Give me a game manual the size of a high school textbook in every game and I'll buy all the damn HORSE ARMOR you want!

=-Rigs-=
YES!!!!! I miss having big manuals and even boxes for my games. I still kept all of my old ones. It was a ritual for me to explore the contents of the box, then spend 1 or 2 days reading the manual before I even started playing the game. Anyone remember the Falcon 4.0 manual?

36. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 07:40 Fantaz

Yo dawg...

Don't even start...

DangerDog wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 18:52:
If anything they should have had Crysis 3 take place on the alien homeworld, maybe team up with some blue cat people or something.

That would be nice, but I have a feeling it's a return to the concrete jungle. PC optimization will be shit... still rendering invisible water while your on land, a million polys for a flat surface and crap like that.

35. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 07:33 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:36:
It's not a great game, but I like what they TRIED to do with it. Have you played the DLC? You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

Do waves of enemies still spawn out of thin air? If so, the DLC still sucks. The wave-based enemy spawns were the worst part of DA2, especially on Nightmare difficulty. There's really no excuse for such half-assed design.

No, they don't. Also the choices actually matter. Also better area design.

34. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 05:29 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:36:
It's not a great game, but I like what they TRIED to do with it. Have you played the DLC? You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

Do waves of enemies still spawn out of thin air? If so, the DLC still sucks. The wave-based enemy spawns were the worst part of DA2, especially on Nightmare difficulty. There's really no excuse for such half-assed design.

I don't think you understand.

IF YOU PRESS A BUTTON, SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS.

33. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 04:36 Jerykk

32. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 03:35 Rigs

You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

*A loud gasp and hushed silence falls over the internet* 'Did he...did he say what I think he said?!' MAKE YOUR TIME!

Name the last "awesome" game they made, then ask yourself what that game would've been like without EA's taint on the developer.

Well...LHX was pretty damn good. Seal Team kicked ass too.

Big manuals with lots of history and pictures need to make a comeback! How about a kickstarter for game manuals?! Now that's something I'd pay for! DL-what? Give me a game manual the size of a high school textbook in every game and I'll buy all the damn HORSE ARMOR you want!

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

31. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 03:12 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:15:
I'll be interested to see what you think of ME3. I thought it was a great game that is a nice compromise between ME1 and ME2. Unfortunately all of that has been overshadowed by the godawful ending.

It will likely be the first game I play when I get home in June, so I'll force a post in about it somewhere. I like artsy-fartsy endings a lot of the time though, so I'm not planning to be as annoyed as everyone else. We shall see.

DA2 had few redeeming qualities but we've discussed that one to death.

30. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 20:48 ASeven

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:15:

It had redeeming qualities?!

It was easily amongst the worst games of 2011. As for Crysis 3, nah, pass, Crysis 2 convinced me not to take Crytek seriously anymore when it comes to game making. Engine making they still have it, game making, nah.

29. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 20:37 space captain

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:01:
It's funny how to you negative nancies "it's not bad" is rambling about how great something is.

uh oh! the mama grizzly is getting upset!

Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 18:52 DangerDog

If anything they should have had Crysis 3 take place on the alien homeworld, maybe team up with some blue cat people or something.

27. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 16:16 SXO

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
Are you kidding? He went on for weeks about how great Dragon Age 2 was...

It's funny how to you negative nancies "it's not bad" is rambling about how great something is.

Anyway, I quite like most of EA's games. The Dead Space series is excellent, Crysis 2 was damn good IMO as well and Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of the last 5 years.

I admit Medal of Honor sucked, but Mass Effect 2 was great and an improvement on the original IMO. Haven't played ME3 or Syndicate yet, but look forward to it.

DA2 is a tough one... it has many flaws and was obviously rushed, but the change in look and speed was much appreciated by me after the somewhat awkward and cliche Origins. So I'm kind of torn.

As if your perfectly coiffed hairdo and strong jawline weren't enough to destroy my self-worth, now you refer to me as a "Negative Nancy?" Must you eviscerate my manhood in front of the entire internet?

26. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 16:15 Verno

Anyway, I quite like most of EA's games. The Dead Space series is excellent, Crysis 2 was damn good IMO as well and Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of the last 5 years.

I admit Medal of Honor sucked, but Mass Effect 2 was great and an improvement on the original IMO. Haven't played ME3 or Syndicate yet, but look forward to it.

I'll be interested to see what you think of ME3. I thought it was a great game that is a nice compromise between ME1 and ME2. Unfortunately all of that has been overshadowed by the godawful ending.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

25. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 16:01 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
Are you kidding? He went on for weeks about how great Dragon Age 2 was...

DA2 is a tough one... it has many flaws and was obviously rushed, but the change in look and speed was much appreciated by me after the somewhat awkward and cliche Origins. So I'm kind of torn.

24. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 15:53 Quboid

I know this is strictly against the rules here, but I enjoy FIFA and going by the amount of time I spend playing it, it's one of my greatest games of all time. Yes, I shell out 35 a year on barely changed new versions but I still play each version for longer than virtually any other game in that 12 month cycle.  

- Quboid

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo