Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

Following indications yesterday that more accounts were being granted access to the Diablo III beta test, the Diablo III Website announces the beta will indeed be opened this weekend to anyone with a Battle.net account for stress testing. The open portion of the beta will begin at 3:00 pm EDT today and will run through Monday at 1:00 pm EDT. The accompanying FAQ explains how this will operate, and notes that while Korean players cannot participate, they will be holding a separate invitation-only event in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. The invitation only closed beta will continue as planned until May 1st. To get a head start, you can download the client now from Battle.net.

View
254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

174. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 00:19 Dades

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 00:09:
Having gone back and played most of the way through with both Demon Hunter and Barbarian, I find that my opinion pretty much remains the same. The game is just rather boring to me. They've taken away the ability to build a character in the way that you want, and just made all characters of a class the same. I want more choices, not less. I want more customization options, not less. While the combat feels about right, the game around it seems to have regressed.

Also kind of funny that Demon Hunter is so limited in weapons while the wizard can run around with swords and axes and stuff.

If gems are available, that will help somewhat, but it's still pretty flimsy. I'm sticking with my assessment. It's a mediocre game. I'll wait for the other games in the genre to come out and see what they have to offer. Can't justify 50-60 bucks for this. This would be a Steam sale game for me if it was actually sold that way. $20-$30 tops.

Sigh Ten years for this? Seriously?

The problem with the rune system is that they came up with them a long time ago but didn't patch them in until beta 13. The game launches next month which hasn't really given them a lot of time to make the system deep and interesting. Right now most of the rune activations are either very situational or have an obvious upgrade path. The user interface for both it and the skill system is very clumsy and a big indicator of the problem that they tried to go back to the drawing board too close to release. It will change drastically and in fact already has a few times which makes defending their implementation a moot point.

Skill trees in Diablo 2 had some problems but eventually got patched into a very interesting mix of free form customization while still retaining synergies for people who wanted a linear path.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

173. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 00:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Having gone back and played most of the way through with both Demon Hunter and Barbarian, I find that my opinion pretty much remains the same. The game is just rather boring to me. They've taken away the ability to build a character in the way that you want, and just made all characters of a class the same. I want more choices, not less. I want more customization options, not less. While the combat feels about right, the game around it seems to have regressed.

Also kind of funny that Demon Hunter is so limited in weapons while the wizard can run around with swords and axes and stuff.

If gems are available, that will help somewhat, but it's still pretty flimsy. I'm sticking with my assessment. It's a mediocre game. I'll wait for the other games in the genre to come out and see what they have to offer. Can't justify 50-60 bucks for this. This would be a Steam sale game for me if it was actually sold that way. $20-$30 tops.

Sigh Ten years for this? Seriously?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

172. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 23:55 Slippy

Trying to wade through the constructive comments vs the personal attacks here...

As I stated before... I'm a big fan after the Open Beta. BUT, I did tend to agree with the skill system complaints at first. I say at first because I am starting to notice what the developers were doing... Without boring everyone with my thoughts on it, I can sum it up with the change to the Town Portal.

I saw no reason to have this as a character power instead of a scroll.. until I realized there was a 'casting time'. This means no more opening portals BEFORE the big battle or in an instant before you die. It actually changes the game mechanic... and I actually have started LIKING it.

If some of you guys out there haven't played multi-player, do. It's even better IMHO. Also, realize there's still more that we haven't seen... example: GEMS. I assume they will still be using them (although maybe differently) because there was an option to filter the auction house on GEMS.

I think there is more yet to see and experience even than what we've seen in the Beta.

On the server stress test... I develop operations applications on the side (not a complicated as game programming but still in a similar field)... Nothing in programming EVER goes as planned. Don't assume that the stress test was just to determine how many servers/memory/bandwidth they will need. There is also well over a million different hardware configs out there that they have to make sure work with their code... Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to realize there is way more behind application development than you may realize.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 00:02.

171. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 22:57 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 21:10:
shinchan0s wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 20:34:
OMG. You are, like, the biggest fanboy.

I've purchased every game Blizzard has released on the PC since Warcraft 2. I don't have some kind of agenda against Blizzard. I want Diablo 3 to be great. That's why I've been questioning every lousy design decision they've made. It's also not like I grew jaded from the gameplay either. I just played the crap out of D1 and D2 a few months ago. I'm ready for the next Diablo!

It's a horrible feeling because Blizzard games used to feel like an event. Now, I won't be buying D3 or MoP this year. That sucks. I'm not paying $60 this limp dick - even after waiting for so long.

So a fanboy is anyone that doesn't agree with you? Pull your head out of your ass.

Skill trees are an illusion of choice, always have been. The simple minded are easily fooled.

You seriously just said skill trees don't allow choice? LOL my god you're pure retard. You've been shilling for this game and Blizzard in general, for months calling anyone who isn't OMGINLOVEWITHBLIZZARD, a troll. Seriously Krowen, get the fuck over yourself.

Skill trees allow choice, for example in diablo 2 one could make a total ice sorc or a total fire sorc, that isn't the case here, the game just unlocks shit as you go on, there's not so much an illusion of choice with diablo 3, there's just no choice period. Ooo do I pick the suck rune or the fail rune?

Maybe you want to put some strength into your sorc to wear heavy armor, or focus on just pure magic for extra mana, that's a choice, here? Wizards running around with full plate just for being the required level. Simplified to the point of ad nauseam.

Steamlined for the lowest common denominator.

170. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 22:00 Dades

Krovven wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 21:10:
So a fanboy is anyone that doesn't agree with you? Pull your head out of your ass.

Skill trees are an illusion of choice, always have been. The simple minded are easily fooled.

Speaking of simple minded hypocrites, you just finished calling people who didn't like the game a bunch of trolls. If skill trees are an illusion of choice then so are runes. The whole game is illusion of choice genius, it's how much choice the player is given in customizing their character builds. Some people like skill trees more than the first version of runes.

169. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 21:10 Krovven

shinchan0s wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 20:34:

I've purchased every game Blizzard has released on the PC since Warcraft 2. I don't have some kind of agenda against Blizzard. I want Diablo 3 to be great. That's why I've been questioning every lousy design decision they've made. It's also not like I grew jaded from the gameplay either. I just played the crap out of D1 and D2 a few months ago. I'm ready for the next Diablo!

It's a horrible feeling because Blizzard games used to feel like an event. Now, I won't be buying D3 or MoP this year. That sucks. I'm not paying $60 this limp dick - even after waiting for so long.

168. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 20:34 shinchan0s

Krovven wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 12:37:
What happened to all the retards that said this could be beaten in less than an hour first time through?

I only see people saying it took about 3 hrs.

It's a stress test. People complain that Beta's are just demo's now. Blizzard has repeatedly stated that their Beta is an actual Beta, not a demo. If you are one of these people, you're a hypocrite. They've been tweeting constantly the last 48 hrs about how they are continually working to improve the performance during the stress test.
I knew better than to even try playing this weekend.

So many trolls posting too. Horrible voice acting? Bad sound? We clearly aren't playing the same game.

167. Re: Runes Apr 22, 2012, 19:50 Wowbagger_TIP

What seems weird to me is that as a wizard, I was using axes, swords, bows, shields, etc. Seemed like I could use pretty much any weapon I picked up. That was just odd. I don't like the skill/rune system. It's boring. Every character of the same class ends up exactly the same. The animations are pretty lousy considering how long this has been in development. Along with the muddy graphics, it looks really bad for a 2012 game. Five years ago they probably could have gotten away with this.

The merchants and blacksmith seem pretty useless. They sell/make almost nothing better than weapons I get from drops. What's the point?

I'm thinking about playing through again with another class to see if I can find anything else redeeming about it. Right now I think the only thing I like about it is that it still has more personality than other games in the genre, and the reaction animations of monsters getting hit/pushed/slammed are cool to have. Other games should add more of that kind of thing.

Overall though, this is a very mediocre game. It's utterly insane that this took so long to create. No way am I buying it, especially since Bliz games tend not to go on sale.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

166. Re: Runes Apr 22, 2012, 19:31 Ant

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 19:22:
Or did I miss something?

Look at your skills. You unlock certain skills at certain levels, and you unlock runes at certain levels. And each skill has it's own set of runes...
Hmm, I will check later if I have time. I do remember setting skills like Barbarian's ground hammer and stuff. Its GUI is confusing!

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2012, 20:11.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

165. Re: Runes Apr 22, 2012, 19:22 nin

Or did I miss something?

Look at your skills. You unlock certain skills at certain levels, and you unlock runes at certain levels. And each skill has it's own set of runes...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

164. Runes Apr 22, 2012, 19:18 Ant

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 19:05:
I didn't find any runes after 3.75 hours of playing! Where were they?

They unlock at levels.
You mean each class level increase? I only remember skills being offered, but no runes to collect and add like in Diablo 2. Or did I miss something?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

163. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 19:05 nin

I didn't find any runes after 3.75 hours of playing! Where were they?

They unlock at levels.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

162. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 18:55 Ant

LaxerFL wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 18:42:
So I'm liking it so far. A lot of what made Diablo 2 so great is still there. But I HATE, HATE, HATE, the skill system. I want skill points. I want to customize my toon. I don't want to be given all the same skills as everyone else playing that class. The rune's are cool but not enough.

Overall I like it but I'm very disappointed with the skill system.
Yes, skill tree sucked. Is this what delayed the game? Also, I didn't find any runes after 3.75 hours of playing! Where were they?

161. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 18:42 LaxerFL

So I'm liking it so far. A lot of what made Diablo 2 so great is still there. But I HATE, HATE, HATE, the skill system. I want skill points. I want to customize my toon. I don't want to be given all the same skills as everyone else playing that class. The rune's are cool but not enough.

Overall I like it but I'm very disappointed with the skill system.

160. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 18:26 Smellfinger

What's depressing is that this stinker will probably end up shattering all previous PC sales records. Blizzard will never be held to account for their lackluster game design because they own the PC platform.  

159. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 17:18 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 16:24:
I didn't have that compelling "omg what happens next!?" feeling after this demo/beta stopped. Not at all.

Yeah that's a common thing I've been hearing from people this weekend but maybe all of the technical problems are overshadowing the game a bit, who knows. It's also been a long time since D2 and maybe peoples tastes have changed too.

What happened to all the retards that said this could be beaten in less than an hour first time through? I only see people saying it took about 3 hrs.

Your reality distortion field is pretty strong then because there are several posts in this thread and the previous ones stating lesser play times. But who cares? If it took other people an extra hour would that make you feel better or something? Are you going to go to bed tonight feeling vindicated because if it takes me 30 minutes longer to play a videogame? That sounds pretty sad Dunce

It's a stress test. People complain that Beta's are just demo's now. Blizzard has repeatedly stated that their Beta is an actual Beta, not a demo. So many trolls posting too. Horrible voice acting? Bad sound? We clearly aren't playing the same game.

This is the only way a lot of people will get to play before retail so you can stop being such a baby and let them have their opinions. People might not like the same videogames you do, oh no.

I played it a bit more with different classes, every class except the demon hunter feels exactly the same, the rune system is so streamlined and pathetic feeling and apparently item drops are tuned to the point where finding a rare is pretty much impossible. I think I found a total of 1 in about 5 or so hours of playing. The game feels like a mix between diablo 2 and that shitty 90's action RPG Darkstone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone

So this is what took them 12 years? Seriously? Granted it's obvious the game was rebooted more than once during that time but still. 60 dollars for this 10 year old gameplay? My god Blizzard sucks ass.

158. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 17:12 Lorcin

Played beta, got bored, now renaming it Diablows.

Next.

157. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 16:24 Verno

I didn't have that compelling "omg what happens next!?" feeling after this demo/beta stopped. Not at all.

Yeah that's a common thing I've been hearing from people this weekend but maybe all of the technical problems are overshadowing the game a bit, who knows. It's also been a long time since D2 and maybe peoples tastes have changed too.

What happened to all the retards that said this could be beaten in less than an hour first time through? I only see people saying it took about 3 hrs.

Your reality distortion field is pretty strong then because there are several posts in this thread and the previous ones stating lesser play times. But who cares? If it took other people an extra hour would that make you feel better or something? Are you going to go to bed tonight feeling vindicated because if it takes me 30 minutes longer to play a videogame? That sounds pretty sad Dunce

It's a stress test. People complain that Beta's are just demo's now. Blizzard has repeatedly stated that their Beta is an actual Beta, not a demo. So many trolls posting too. Horrible voice acting? Bad sound? We clearly aren't playing the same game.

This is the only way a lot of people will get to play before retail so you can stop being such a baby and let them have their opinions. People might not like the same videogames you do, oh no.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

156. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 16:15 Quinn

Been playing a few hours this weekend now. The game leaves me cold. It feels like a Daikatana screw-up -- they tinkered and delayed for too long. The game both LOOKS and FEELS dated. Hell, from what I remember Titan Quest looks better than this!

Also, because of this AH.. there'll never be a point where your character will find that extremely bad-ass imba weapon you wanna find 3/4th into the game.. because that droprate has dropped as low as the random epic or maybe even legendary drop you'd get in World of Warcraft.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

155. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 15:58 Dades

Krovven wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 12:37:
It's a stress test. People complain that Beta's are just demo's now. Blizzard has repeatedly stated that their Beta is an actual Beta, not a demo. If you are one of these people, you're a hypocrite. They've been tweeting constantly the last 48 hrs about how they are continually working to improve the performance during the stress test.
I knew better than to even try playing this weekend.

So many trolls posting too. Horrible voice acting? Bad sound? We clearly aren't playing the same game.

Why don't you stop running your big mouth and let other people talk about their beta experiences without you jumping all over everything they say like some pathetic youtube commenter.

They changed a fair bit from the last time I played, it took me roughly an hour and 45 minutes to go through it. It was ok but nothing special, I thought it was too derivative in some parts and I didn't like the new skill/rune system. The environmental traps felt worthless and were often poorly placed. I liked playing the Barbarian but didn't really get into any other classes. Often it felt like the mobs were detached from the textures in some way, odd little animation hiccups and stuff like that. Maybe after all this time expectations will always be too high but I didn't really find myself wanting more after I was done.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2012, 16:05.

254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo