Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

Following indications yesterday that more accounts were being granted access to the Diablo III beta test, the Diablo III Website announces the beta will indeed be opened this weekend to anyone with a Battle.net account for stress testing. The open portion of the beta will begin at 3:00 pm EDT today and will run through Monday at 1:00 pm EDT. The accompanying FAQ explains how this will operate, and notes that while Korean players cannot participate, they will be holding a separate invitation-only event in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. The invitation only closed beta will continue as planned until May 1st. To get a head start, you can download the client now from Battle.net.

View
254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

214. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 21:30 Krovven

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:52:
I've read those articles many times, but their sampling is often quite limited. The overall effect, IMO, is much less known.

And Gabe has access to all of that data. He isn't saying every game does that, but it's obviously often enough for him to talk about it. Other developers have talked about it. Other Publishers have talked about it. It's not like it's some super secret and there isn't enough information for those that need it.

Other companies follow a different philosophy with some of their products. Namely Acti-Blizz.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

213. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 14:52 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 13:28:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 12:05:
Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 15:20:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

That argument has been debunked several times. Few of the social features nor the gameplay world require a persistent connection. The world itself isn't even persistent like WoW. It's strictly protection features that underpin the game - things like the AI and item generation are all handled server side. It's understandable design choice given their RMAH stuff but likewise it's quite understandable for people criticize their choices. Particularly people who frequently travel or are in organizations like the military.

They didn't want to underwrite offline functionality so they can take their licks for any release day woes that happen, fair is fair.
And as it's been pointed out before, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have an offline version where your characters are never permitted to go online. That would solve the cheating issues by that avenue and give offline gamers what they want. They chose not to do that, so that will cost them some sales from those folks that can't play online.

I agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

Which, along with the rather simplified and mediocre gameplay, is why I'm not buying it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

212. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 13:28 StingingVelvet

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 12:05:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

That argument has been debunked several times. Few of the social features nor the gameplay world require a persistent connection. The world itself isn't even persistent like WoW. It's strictly protection features that underpin the game - things like the AI and item generation are all handled server side. It's understandable design choice given their RMAH stuff but likewise it's quite understandable for people criticize their choices. Particularly people who frequently travel or are in organizations like the military.

They didn't want to underwrite offline functionality so they can take their licks for any release day woes that happen, fair is fair.
And as it's been pointed out before, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have an offline version where your characters are never permitted to go online. That would solve the cheating issues by that avenue and give offline gamers what they want. They chose not to do that, so that will cost them some sales from those folks that can't play online.

I agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

211. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 12:05 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

210. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 11:51 Verno

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

209. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 StingingVelvet

208. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 10:52 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:29:
If by Moderator, you mean the Community Manager...that position tends to know more about an overall game than most of the devs. And info about the Beta not being a Demo has been in more than a few places on the official website and forums.

He said moderator so I said moderator. Correct him.

Penny Arcade article regarding Valve pricing.

Valve’s Gabe Newell once spoke about a series of pricing experiments on Steam, and stated that a price reduction of 75 percent should mean gross revenue remains constant, based on their prior experience. “Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40,” he said. “Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.”

I've read those articles many times, but their sampling is often quite limited. The overall effect, IMO, is much less known.

207. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 20:26 Yifes

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:39:
Yifes wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:19:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

So do you Shill for Activision as well or just EA? Middlefinger

I see your comprehension skills are as bad as your manners. If you're such a good detective, why don't you find out what I think about SWTOR before you go ahead and embarrass yourself. Go somewhere else little troll.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 20:33.

206. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 20:19 Undocumented Alien

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

Ahhh... well... there are other games that I plan to play as well. Like the awesome OFFLINE SP game Skyrim, which I have many more hours to go. Fills the D3 OFFLINE experience for the time being. I can also play Torchlight OFFLINE to fill a Diablo style itch (I still haven't finished that yet).

I'm sure that the GW2 beta periods will come and go, and when they are around we will play the game, report bugs, and have fun. But, as far as online coop, GW2 is the next game we will be jamming in.

I won't go as far as saying I'll never buy D3, but, definitively not anytime soon. A bunch of people I game with feel the same way after the stress test weekend.

205. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:42 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:29:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 14:18:
1) Moderators know nothing.

If by Moderator, you mean the Community Manager...that position tends to know more about an overall game than most of the devs. And info about the Beta not being a Demo has been in more than a few places on the official website and forums.

Really does the community manager do all the coding as well as design work as well? Tell me more you well of ridiculous misinformation!

204. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:39 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:19:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

So do you Shill for Activision as well or just EA? Middlefinger

203. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:29 Krovven

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 14:28:
God I hate how Steam sales have ruined the value of games. OMG it's a year old it isn't worth shit! How silly...

Penny Arcade article regarding Valve pricing.

Valve’s Gabe Newell once spoke about a series of pricing experiments on Steam, and stated that a price reduction of 75 percent should mean gross revenue remains constant, based on their prior experience. “Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40,” he said. “Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.”

202. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:19 Yifes

201. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 18:22 Bhruic

Bhruic wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 01:30:
Sorry, I assumed you meant "Steam sale" level. Yeah, you can get a few percentage points off, but $39.99 for a game over a year old is a lot in my books. You won't see it at the $5/$10/$15 price points that you can get on Steam.

God I hate how Steam sales have ruined the value of games. OMG it's a year old it isn't worth shit! How silly...

And by "only a year old", you mean "just a few months shy of two years old", right?

As for "worth", who are you to say what a game is worth? I determine the worth of a game based on how much I'd be willing to pay to play it. Since I have no interest in multiplayer Starcraft 2, I'm not willing to pay $40 to play it. If they were to drop the price significantly, I probably would.

Frankly, to see a consumer complaining that the value of game prices is too low is laughable. If you want to spend more money, by all means do so, but the rest of us would, I believe, prefer to spend less.

200. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 17:06 Undocumented Alien

I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player.

Playing a single player mode in an online only format is just an illusion of playing a single player mode.

I remember D2 starting off a little rough, but once you got the game activated you could go OFFLINE and not worry about the internets.

This game will definitely have queues the first week or so. Every new MMO (which D3 is technically architected as) has queues for a while. I won't be waiting for any queue to play a SP mode of a game.

199. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 15:20 RollinThundr

Slippy wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:26:
sigh... From the official D3 website forum by a Moderator:

"This is an open stress testnot a demo and certainly not a finished product. You may experience a number of issues and errors, but this is exactly what helps us to prepare for the smoothest launch possible on May 15"

nuff said... LOL

I'd hate to be the company responsible for the boxed game manufacturing... not a lot of time to tie up loose ends, go gold, hit production, package and ship in time for shelf release on May 15th. Damn they must have stream-lined the hell out of their manufacturing vendors.

Not to defend this game because I dislike the genre (click click loot) and hate the online requirement, but...

2) What is in the box is completely irrelevant now-a-days, especially for a game like this.

This is kind of doubled edged though, in a way, with their history with Battle.net and WoW they should already have hardware prepaired. On the other hand its difficult to simulate hundreds of thousand concurrent connections on a new product.

Though really they're using Battle.net the same service they've been using for a decade + now for prior diablo's and starcraft, it shouldn't be that hard to keep some servers up over 1 weekend 3 weeks before the game hits store shelves.

198. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 14:39 Verno

That's just a value perception issue and it's not because "Steam sales ruined" anything. Amazon (PC and console) and things like free to play games have a lot more power in this regard. One could argue more frequent sales promotions are due to the massive volume of quality titles on the market and downloadable content effectively increasing the price to own for many buyers. Publishers discount more often on digital PC platforms (not just Steam) because they see large sales spikes, it's a different market than on the consoles so they have to approach it in a different manner - particularly when they allocate no marketing to it.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

197. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 01:30:
Sorry, I assumed you meant "Steam sale" level. Yeah, you can get a few percentage points off, but $39.99 for a game over a year old is a lot in my books. You won't see it at the $5/$10/$15 price points that you can get on Steam.

196. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 14:18 StingingVelvet

Slippy wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:26:
sigh... From the official D3 website forum by a Moderator:

"This is an open stress testnot a demo and certainly not a finished product. You may experience a number of issues and errors, but this is exactly what helps us to prepare for the smoothest launch possible on May 15"

nuff said... LOL

I'd hate to be the company responsible for the boxed game manufacturing... not a lot of time to tie up loose ends, go gold, hit production, package and ship in time for shelf release on May 15th. Damn they must have stream-lined the hell out of their manufacturing vendors.

Not to defend this game because I dislike the genre (click click loot) and hate the online requirement, but...

2) What is in the box is completely irrelevant now-a-days, especially for a game like this.

195. I made a poll about Diablo 3 since its open beta is about to end soon... Apr 23, 2012, 11:45 Ant

http://aqfl.net/node/9814 ... Thank you in advance.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo