Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

Following indications yesterday that more accounts were being granted access to the Diablo III beta test, the Diablo III Website announces the beta will indeed be opened this weekend to anyone with a Battle.net account for stress testing. The open portion of the beta will begin at 3:00 pm EDT today and will run through Monday at 1:00 pm EDT. The accompanying FAQ explains how this will operate, and notes that while Korean players cannot participate, they will be holding a separate invitation-only event in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. The invitation only closed beta will continue as planned until May 1st. To get a head start, you can download the client now from Battle.net.

View
254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

234. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 Bhruic

Oh, so this is about nit-picking.

No, this is about you claiming the game is "not singleplayer". If you have no interest in playing it in a singleplayer capacity, that's your call. But you don't get to generalize for all of us.

Diablo 3 is so designed around multiplayer it has lost me as a singleplayer customer. Is that better?

That's fine. What you choose to do is your business.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

233. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 05:39 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 21:36:
Sure, let's take UT3. Would it be fair to say the game was designed primarily for multiplayer? Absolutely. Would you be correct if you said it had no singleplayer component? Absolutely not.

Oh, so this is about nit-picking. Okay then, let me rephrase for your comfort.

Diablo 3 is so designed around multiplayer it has lost me as a singleplayer customer. Is that better?

232. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 23:20 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:21:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:04:
The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy. The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise. If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots? Or playing Guild Wars solo with hired companions?

In any event design decisions they made have turned off many singleplayer gamers, myself included, and nothing you say changes that.
If they wanted to make it multiplayer, they certainly could have done so. I can't play Tribes Ascend solo. It wasn't designed as a solo game. D3 certainly was, as evidenced by the fact that they allow you to play solo through the whole game if you want. They do nothing to make you interact with others. Others might as well not even exist. But they still force you to have an internet connection the whole time for no apparent reason. They can say it's a multiplayer-only game all they want, it doesn't make it so.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

231. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 21:36 Bhruic

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not

Sure, and you'd think that the ME3 developers would know if they made the ending based on your game choices, but you'd be wrong.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy.

Talk about missing the point. I didn't argue against it because it wasn't perfect, I argued against it (successfully) because it doesn't work as an analogy.

The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise.

Well, I can say otherwise because it's not true. You've yet to demonstrate any factors that support it as being "designed for multiplayer", other than the online requirement - which has already been shown to not require multiplayer, the AH, another factor that doesn't require multiplayer, and "always ready for someone to jump in", which is demonstrably false when playing a private game.

Perhaps what you mean is that it was designed primarily for multiplayer. That's almost certainly true. But being designed primarily for multiplayer doesn't preclude having a singleplayer component - think BF3 for example.

If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots?

Sure, let's take UT3. Would it be fair to say the game was designed primarily for multiplayer? Absolutely. Would you be correct if you said it had no singleplayer component? Absolutely not.

230. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 21:00 Mr. Tact

Against my better judgment I tried it. I didn't have any of the issues many others seem to have had. Played through on the Barbarian. *meh* Didn't really grab me at all. I may buy it eventually, but I'll certainly wait a bit.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

229. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 19:46 Slippy

And as I originally compared it, you can also solo all the time in WoW and in effect play it as a singleplayer game, but it still isn't that. D3 was designed as multiplayer only, the developers even said so when the internet thing came out. I believe the quote was something like "playing this by yourself is playing it wrong."

Sure, and why your analogy is wrong has already been pointed out to you repeatedly. On the off-chance you'll actually read it this time, I'll point it out again:

You can try and play WoW solo, but you can't actually do it. You're in an open, persistent world, with other people running around impacting the world. Sure, you can avoid interacting with them, but they are interacting with the same world you are, meaning that even with avoidance, you are still in a multiplayer environment.

The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

I agree with Bhruic on this... only for this one simple humorous fact... Sex = Multiplayer Masturbation but doesn't make it OK.

228. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:21 StingingVelvet

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy. The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise. If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots? Or playing Guild Wars solo with hired companions?

In any event design decisions they made have turned off many singleplayer gamers, myself included, and nothing you say changes that.

227. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:04 Bhruic

And as I originally compared it, you can also solo all the time in WoW and in effect play it as a singleplayer game, but it still isn't that. D3 was designed as multiplayer only, the developers even said so when the internet thing came out. I believe the quote was something like "playing this by yourself is playing it wrong."

Sure, and why your analogy is wrong has already been pointed out to you repeatedly. On the off-chance you'll actually read it this time, I'll point it out again:

You can try and play WoW solo, but you can't actually do it. You're in an open, persistent world, with other people running around impacting the world. Sure, you can avoid interacting with them, but they are interacting with the same world you are, meaning that even with avoidance, you are still in a multiplayer environment.

226. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:00 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:33:
I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is that the presence of these things do not automatically make it a purely multiplayer game. Functionally speaking, there is no difference between playing D2 in offline mode, and playing D2 in a solo battle.net mode. Simply playing a game with an online requirement doesn't remove the singleplayer component of it.

225. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 13:33 Bhruic

I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is that the presence of these things do not automatically make it a purely multiplayer game. Functionally speaking, there is no difference between playing D2 in offline mode, and playing D2 in a solo battle.net mode. Simply playing a game with an online requirement doesn't remove the singleplayer component of it.

224. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 13:30 Bhruic

Am I missing something? Last I saw, Blizzard was not going to make anything on AH transactions... Are you assuming this or was it stated somewhere?

I don't have a cite/quote for it, but my recollection is that they said they were going to charge a fraction of the sale of each item. Either that, or they were going to have a set "stocking fee". Either way, supposedly it was to offset the costs of running the AH.

223. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 12:12 Undocumented Alien

Am I missing something? Last I saw, Blizzard was not going to make anything on AH transactions... Are you assuming this or was it stated somewhere?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Auction_House

I'm not saying this wiki is "bible", but I believe they are correct (you can find this in many different sites with a Google search) -

"This entire subject is rather a moral and ethical, not to mention ‘’legal’’, quagmire. Yet, Blizzard has always opposed these transactions for the reasons listed above, and others. Their reasoning for finally allowing it, in their own game no less, is twofold: they are able to control the transaction, and they are also able to profit from it. A player will no longer feel the need to go to unreputable websites which may contain malicious software that steals their personal or account information. All of these transactions now take place within the game’s client."

222. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:57 nin

I would be shocked if they didn't make something off of transactions.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

221. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:49 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:20:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 08:52:
agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2. Forcing you online to play singleplayer doesn't take away the fact you are playing singleplayer. That'd be like saying that Assassins Creed had no singleplayer.

Heck, let's just say for the sake of argument that it is a MP game. People would have a right to complain about server queues on launch day and seek compensation for downtime and other problems with the service like they do in other primarily MP games. The consoles even do that stuff for their online services. So saying "people need to think of it as a MP game" isn't really much of a defense either way, Blizzard is still accountable for ensuring that people have a playable experience to the best of their ability.

It wasn't meant as a defense dude, the requirement makes me sick to my stomach. I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game. Which is BAD, to be clear.

What is worse is that it will sell amazingly well anyway and show other publishers they should do the same thing.

220. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:47 Slippy

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:51:
The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2.

Sure it does, if my ISP or the Blizz servers go down, or Blizz Servers have performance issues, I can't play or my playing experience sucks. That's a HUGE difference.

D1 and D2 BOTH had dedicated OFFLINE Single Player modes (as well LAN and B.NET). The ONLY reason why D3 is online only is because of this stupid AH that Blizz will make money on.

219. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:35 Bhruic

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:51:
The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2.

Sure it does, if my ISP or the Blizz servers go down, or Blizz Servers have performance issues, I can't play or my playing experience sucks. That's a HUGE difference.

D1 and D2 BOTH had dedicated OFFLINE Single Player modes (as well LAN and B.NET). The ONLY reason why D3 is online only is because of this stupid AH that Blizz will make money on.

You're arguing a completely different point. Yes, the online requirement is insanely annoying. But just having an online requirement doesn't automatically remove singleplayer play from a game, which was the point that was attempting to be made.

218. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 Undocumented Alien

217. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 09:20 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 08:52:
agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2. Forcing you online to play singleplayer doesn't take away the fact you are playing singleplayer. That'd be like saying that Assassins Creed had no singleplayer.

Heck, let's just say for the sake of argument that it is a MP game. People would have a right to complain about server queues on launch day and seek compensation for downtime and other problems with the service like they do in other primarily MP games. The consoles even do that stuff for their online services. So saying "people need to think of it as a MP game" isn't really much of a defense either way, Blizzard is still accountable for ensuring that people have a playable experience to the best of their ability.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

216. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 08:52 Bhruic

215. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 23:01 Slippy

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 14:18:
Not to defend this game because I dislike the genre (click click loot) and hate the online requirement, but...

1) Moderators know nothing.

2) What is in the box is completely irrelevant now-a-days, especially for a game like this.

1. I meant Community Manager (ala. Krowen) so I disagree with you. They are given enough information to keep the community informed (that's their job). Sure I can understand companies not wanting to feed ALL the info to that positon but in this case, I find no reason that they would speak anything other than what's actually happening.

2. This I agree with... I forgot the whole online patching/updating, etc. It's not unusual now a days to purcahse a game 'zero-day' or even 'zero-hour', install it and find that the brand new shiney game you just purchased updates online before you ever get in the game for the first time... it's a good thing I supppose. As non-game developer, you can never have enough updates!

*** I admit, I'm personally a big fan of D3 especially, after the open beta. I am also a huge fan of D1 and D2 but, after Monday I loaded up D2 to play and after about an hour found myself wanting to play D3 instead... maybe I'm part of Blizzard's target group

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2012, 23:12.

254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo