Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

Following indications yesterday that more accounts were being granted access to the Diablo III beta test, the Diablo III Website announces the beta will indeed be opened this weekend to anyone with a Battle.net account for stress testing. The open portion of the beta will begin at 3:00 pm EDT today and will run through Monday at 1:00 pm EDT. The accompanying FAQ explains how this will operate, and notes that while Korean players cannot participate, they will be holding a separate invitation-only event in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. The invitation only closed beta will continue as planned until May 1st. To get a head start, you can download the client now from Battle.net.

View
254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

134. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 13:06 Yifes

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 09:59:
Win7 64 here too.
Oh, and a cooldown on potions, another annoyance...

Potion cooldowns are a great change. It makes the combat more tactical than just potion spamming your way through a boss. Anything that moves the series away from the mindless button mashing of the first two games is a good thing.

Looking forward to trying the co-op, really the only thing that made the Diablo series worth playing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

133. Re: other half = red lasers + blue lasers Apr 21, 2012, 12:27  Blue 

space captain wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 22:26:
did you know that generalizing and absolutism are the hallmarks of dumbassery?

Seems like you have an infinite loop of self-deprecating tautology going there.

Anyway, posting nothing but messages expressing contempt for the intellectual capacity of your peers is the hallmark of someone who doesn't want to post here anymore. After all these years I think your message has come across, so this is the last time I'll request that you stop attempting to "elevate" the conversation in this manner.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

132. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 12:24 Wildone

It would keep getting stuck at 24% with the agent 'fix' and crash my net connection so after 3 trys, fuck you.  

131. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 11:42 Jdrez

Guess I got lucky. I got in immediately last night, only disconnected once. Made 2 toons and played for at least 2 hours with no hiccups.

Pretty fun, but a bit grindy.

130. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 11:25 El Pit

The stress test shows that hosting single player online is too much stress. BlizzaVision, offline mode now! At least for the retail version: full offline mode for single player, or this could be the very bitter end for Blizzard because of a million player's nerd rage. The failed stress test should make you think, BlizzaVisionaries.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

129. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 11:13 Ant

Quinn wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 11:07:
I'm trying to play this game on my own, no multi-player.. just SP campaign.. and I'm being kicked out because the server got disconnected and now I've been in a 1 second queue for 10 minutes already.

If the retail game shows even remotely these sort of signs, hell will break loose.
That is online DRM for ya. Other games do this too. For an example, C&C4 did this too and it failed badly.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

128. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 11:09 Bopper

Gridphoenix wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:59:
I am glad that people have obviously the same (bad) feeling that I had when I entered the Diablo III beta. When I posted earlier this week in a Diablo III news post that I liked Path of Exile much more, I was accused of being associated with the PoE developer (which I am not). I joined the Diablo III beta and played through the first (beta) act. Then I started looking around and found PoE. I bought me a 10$ beta ticket and guess what: All the things that I was missing from Diablo III where there:

- The graphics were IMHO much better (crisp versus blurry)
- The skill tree was amazing
- The rune system was cool

Now before people start shooting me again for bringing the PoE comparison: I cannot say anything about balance or endgame or longtime fun, because I am only lvl 10 Templar in PoE).

I just understand the frustration of people in this thread and can share it.

Thx for listening.

Michael

I bought 3 beta tickets for PoE and don't regret it, I enjoyed playing the game and am glad to support indie studios. In my opinion though it doesn't even compare to Diablo 3.

The combat was quite stale when I tested it. Some of the skills were so badly designed you couldn't even use them effectively, (Leaping Smash moon physics for example). The graphics were pretty cool for an indie game. Crisp, decent lighting but the art direction had no soul and lacked the polish of D3.

It was also very slow and I became infintely bored within 2 days with it. The skill system was pretty coold and the talents interesting but I disliked the flow of the game and spamming potions became a bore.

- Boppa

127. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 11:07 Quinn

I'm trying to play this game on my own, no multi-player.. just SP campaign.. and I'm being kicked out because the server got disconnected and now I've been in a 1 second queue for 10 minutes already.

If the retail game shows even remotely these sort of signs, hell will break loose.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

126. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 10:24 HorrorScope

shinchan0s wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 06:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:27:
Then there is the red glow around anything you can interact with. Baddies don't need it and it hurts the looks. The simplified gameplay doesn't have to tell you all it's secrets to make it even simpler by glowing red. Come the fuck on.

To be fair, D1 had the red outline thingy too. Then again, D1 had a lot more going for it than D3.

Right more signs of no progress. These games are already a simple as can be. We can't give a little adventure to them? None? Please some! No?

(Not that you are arguing, I'm yelling at Blizz)

125. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 10:23 HorrorScope

Gridphoenix wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:59:
I am glad that people have obviously the same (bad) feeling that I had when I entered the Diablo III beta. When I posted earlier this week in a Diablo III news post that I liked Path of Exile much more

They at least bring a few different ideas with them and it's infinitely cheaper. D3 only lives by reputation of Blizzard. If that was done by Zippy Games Co, it would have zero posts here and be a $20 or less game, I think that is pretty undeniable.

124. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 09:59 nin

Win7 64 here too.

Oh, and a cooldown on potions, another annoyance...

edit:Also don't like that I log out in town, yet I come back later and it restarts me at a checkpoint...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

123. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 09:42 El Pit

Julio wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 07:32:
Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 23:17:
Yep, I've tried about a million different things and it still won't even install. Seems to be a common problem with 64 bit Vista/7 people. And it launches in 3 weeks? Yeah, ok.

Works fine on 64 bit Win 7 for me. Maybe its something else in the config.

Same here. Win7 64 bir - no poblem with the installation. And I was even allowed to log in again. Thx, BlizzaVision.

122. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 08:00 MacLeod

shinchan0s wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 06:38:
The skills interface is very opaque - no stats, no damage numbers, skill A vs skill B looks the same to me.

The skills interface does show numbers, you have to go into options and turn on advance tooltips. Like WoW, the game defaults to simple ones that don't show much information.

121. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 07:32 Julio

Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 23:17:
Yep, I've tried about a million different things and it still won't even install. Seems to be a common problem with 64 bit Vista/7 people. And it launches in 3 weeks? Yeah, ok.

Works fine on 64 bit Win 7 for me. Maybe its something else in the config.

120. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 07:29 Julio

Luke wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:36:
feels to much like a console cartonish blurry game so have a nice run all you fanboys , and don't think you can make alot of money on the ah

Why do I need to make money on the auction house feature? I'm not some prisoner in China playing MMOs to generate cash for the state.

119. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 06:38 shinchan0s

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:27:
Then there is the red glow around anything you can interact with. Baddies don't need it and it hurts the looks. The simplified gameplay doesn't have to tell you all it's secrets to make it even simpler by glowing red. Come the fuck on.

To be fair, D1 had the red outline thingy too. Then again, D1 had a lot more going for it than D3.

Anyway, first impressions. Yeah, D3 beta is underwhelming. The interface is very WoW-ish. No stat allocation. The skills interface is very opaque - no stats, no damage numbers, skill A vs skill B looks the same to me. The artwork, sound and voice acting are pretty terrible, but then again terrible VA is a Diablo staple. Combat is less tactical than D1. It's also slower and less satisfying than D2. I'm already throwing down magic hammers and doing AoE dmg as a Barb @ lvl 3. Wonderful.

The game reminds me of Age of Empires 3. It has 3D graphics and overused physics. It plays it safe, but inexplicably keeps some very outdated gameplay quirks (ex: pop cap). Finally, in all likelihood, it will sell very well, but will not be regarded as a classic like its venerated predecessors.

118. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 05:33 Golwar

When I finally managed to get onto the server it was midnight and I stayed online till 4AM. So I guess I liked the game.

It surely feels different but not bad at all. I don't miss the option to spend points on abilities, why should I? People tried to min-max their settings and that was the only interesting part about it.

But what I'd really appreciate would be the option to quickly switch between 2 different weapon or skill sets. No idea why I should be forced to open the skill menu and pick a suiting alternative skill in the middle of the battle. I want to have a set ready for general mobs and one for the bossfights.

117. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 04:52 El Pit

Was in game, server went down. Now I can't get in again because the servers are getting hammered. Yes, Blizz, this will be great for someone like me who wants to play SINGLE player in the retail version. So, for f***'s sake, implement an OFFLINE mode for single player. Thank you, bye bye.  

116. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 04:36 Luke

feels to much like a console cartonish blurry game so have a nice run all you fanboys , and don't think you can make alot of money on the ah  

115. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 02:59 Gridphoenix

I am glad that people have obviously the same (bad) feeling that I had when I entered the Diablo III beta. When I posted earlier this week in a Diablo III news post that I liked Path of Exile much more, I was accused of being associated with the PoE developer (which I am not). I joined the Diablo III beta and played through the first (beta) act. Then I started looking around and found PoE. I bought me a 10$ beta ticket and guess what: All the things that I was missing from Diablo III where there:

- The graphics were IMHO much better (crisp versus blurry)
- The skill tree was amazing
- The rune system was cool

Now before people start shooting me again for bringing the PoE comparison: I cannot say anything about balance or endgame or longtime fun, because I am only lvl 10 Templar in PoE).

I just understand the frustration of people in this thread and can share it.

Thx for listening.

Michael

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 04:48.

254 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo