Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup

Humble Mumble announces the debut of the Humble Botanicula Debut, a bundle celebrating the launch of Botanicula, Amanita Design's brand new game, bundled with Machinarium, Samorost 2, Kooky, and Windosill. This is offered as a pick-your-price deal, and it's interesting to note the announcement of the game's release on GOG.com at its regular price indicates the publisher was not expecting the game's debut to compete with a bargain bundle, and a subsequent post attempts to make this all right by announcing they have secured "a number of goodies from the bundle" for customers who preordered Botanicula through them. Here's word on the new game:

In Botanicula, you must guide a motley band of tree creatures in a journey to save their home from brooding, spider-like invaders. With a huge cast of charming characters and an original soundtrack by the Czech alternative band DVA, Botanicula is the latest and greatest example of Amanita Designís unique storybook vision brought to vivid fruition in an point-and-click adventure/puzzle game.

Because Botanicula has important environmental themes, weíre hoping youíll allocate some of your purchase to support the World Land Trust, an international conservation charity focused on protecting threatened habitats.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 11:06 durandal

Good thing they aren't so "buisness" minded, otherwise they'd sell Witcher series GoG exclusive with always on DRM. Enhanced Edition for just $19.99!
Besides, it's $300 afterall. I don't know how many potential customers they've got from this move. It's a nice PR, especially for those who uses such DD as GoG and Humble Bundle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 10:34 eRe4s3r

But if you think about it, if I were investor in GOG I'd now sue them for ignoring my interests. Why you ask? Because they financially support a competitor.

Sure it's a nice move anyway, but business wise this is pretty silly.

12. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 08:48 durandal

Does anyone notice that GoG is on the "top contributor" list on this Humble Bundle? (It's been there since even before they announced this makeup.) They basically got screwed over by this bundle, yet they still went on and do this.

They got my respect and my $10.

11. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 08:00 fela

It's great to support indie developers..

However, helping white bourgeoisie liberals buy up land to protect it from poor evil brown people trying to survive off of it is not usually what I have in mind.

10. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 07:26 Julio

Blame the developer, they screwed GOG over (as well as a lot of customers). Wonder if their next game will even be carried by GOG.

GOG > Steam because No DRM > DRM anytime

9. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 21, 2012, 00:53 Dev

Quote from that link:

We havenít much time to take care about business and logistics in last few weeks
[...]
We simply didnít think about it and about the consequences

Hint, think about this kinda thing at least a few minutes before you release a game. Think about how you'd feel if you pre-ordered a $10 game and suddenly on release it was avail for 1 cent.

8. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 21:37 eRe4s3r

Eh, by being 5$ cheaper and containing more stuff?  

7. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 21:03 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:45:

we get steam keys in the bundle which makes the offer superior to GOG any time of the day

Why does steam beat GOG any time of the day? I'm wondering? Aside from trophies? Or is that why?

The new GOG downloader is supposed to show when updates are available for your games and that was the only issue I knew about with GOG games.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

6. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 18:54 Deathbishop

These are the kind of issues that GoG is going to run into now that they've moved to new releases, especially indie games. Even this event aside, they are always going to be outsold by Steam or Humble Bundle who can sell it less than they can.

If this game is available on humble bundle or Gog for 9.99, I see no point whatsoever to get it on GOG outside of just wanting to support GOG.

5. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 16:47 eRe4s3r

Well, the point was that 5$ is less than you pay on GOG - and you don't get steam keys from that ;p

Don't get me wrong, I love that the bundle exists, I just don't love it when Indy vs GOG situations arise where indy's unintentionally make GOG look like the biggest noobs.

Either you take pre-orders, or you do a bundle offer, but who ever gave them the thought that it'd be a good idea to do both at the same time?

4. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 15:32 MattB

I agree its not in good taste for the pre order folks. Yet I think you've missed the results from previous bundles. They attract huge numbers of people that normally would not buy the game. Botanicula is not exactly a main stream game so if anything this will be a big marketing push for them.

Plus you need to pay at least $5 to get steam keys.

3. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 12:54 eRe4s3r

Nothing to relax about, what they did was stupid. You do not, ever, devalue your game on release day with an essentially 1ct price offer of which you are not even guaranteed to see anything.

The only actual solution would be to give the 2 steam keys from the humble bundle to every pre-order customer + the movie. Because the average is still below 9.99 $

2. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 12:09 Rhialto

Relax... http://amanita-design.net/blog/2012/04/20/apology-to-botanicula-pre-orderers/  

1. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 11:45 eRe4s3r

2 easy steps to piss off everyone involved

1) Make game, let online store have pre-orders for 9.99$
2) weeks have passed, make humble bundle release and offer more goodies than pre-orders got

That is some grade A idiots right there. Not that I am complaining, I bought the bundle for 9.99$ but... as GOG is offering literally NOTHING extra if you buy it now and this is the only game I wanted out of the bundle this is a real loss-loss situation. I am not gonna pay more for a bundle than what GOG asks, and I wouldn't buy this on GOG because lets face it, we get steam keys in the bundle which makes the offer superior to GOG any time of the day.

This is a REALLY stupid situation for GOG , and part of me HATES the developers of this for messing things up so badly for GOG

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo