Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legend of Grimrock Patched

The Legend of Grimrock Website announces the release of a new patch to update Almost Human's dungeon crawler to version 1.1.4. The patch is save-game compatible with previous versions, and here's how it is being distributed: "We have pushed the patch to Steam, GOG and our own store and it should be available once the distributors have done their magic, hopefully within 24 hours. Steam users will get the patch automatically, and if you bought the game from GOG or from us you can download the patched version of the game using the same way you obtained the original copy. But hold on a bit, it will take some time before the build gets updated on the servers." Here's the change list:

• vsync is enabled by default
  • borderless windows are no longer topmost
  • pressing ESC closes character sheet
  • fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
  • improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
  • fixed a couple of typos and broken english
  • removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)
  • quick save/load
  • volume sliders
  • to avoid confusion autosave & quicksave slots canít be renamed anymore
  • adjusted gui layout and camera fov so that user interface elements do not overlap with important screen areas on non-widescreen displays
  • invert horizontal mouse option
  • camera bobbing option (only available by editing the config file manually)
  • configurable tooltip delay (only available by editing the config file manually)
  • frame rate limiter (set to 120fps but can be changed by editing the config file)
  • custom character portraits
  • bug fix: very long map marker notes without spaces in them causes the automap to crash
  • bug fix: editing a map marker that is on the same exact spot as a marker on the other map page edits them both at the same time
  • bug fix: map labels are sometimes drawn partially underneath map symbols
  • bug fix: topmost menu item doesnít work reliably in high resolutions such as 2560◊1440
  • bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
  • bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
  • bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
  • bug fix: saving the game crashes if all save game slots are full and the autosave slot is deleted or unused
  • bug fix: Fighterís Challenge doesnít open if thereís an item in front of the door (only applies to new games, existing save games still have this bug)
  • bug fix: saving the game just after the end fight creates a corrupted save that can lead to crashes and the end sequence not getting triggered correctly
  • bug fix: auto pickup doesnít pick up the correct amount of ammo in some rare circumstances
  • bug fix: standing on stairs and turning with the mouse, followed by a turn using q/e keys is buggy
  • bug fix: when a monster is damaged, experience point text sometimes (very rarely) flash in a square where a monster has been killed
  • bug fix: trying to load a save game that has just been deleted manually from the file system (e.g. in Windows explorer) crashes the game

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 22, 2012, 22:00 Jerykk

If you're sensitive to tearing, stuttering and/or input lag, I recommend a 120 Hz monitor. That way, you can disable V-Sync to avoid stuttering and input lag and you won't have to worry about tearing either. There aren't any 120 Hz IPS monitors, unfortunately, so the color reproduction and contrast won't be quite as good, but it's pretty good compromise between performance and image quality. CRTs offer the best of both worlds, at the cost of power consumption, bulk and general availability.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 22, 2012, 11:35 PHJF

TN-TFT monitors fucking suck.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 22, 2012, 08:58 rist3903

And what do you say about response time? The monitor suggested previously in this thread has a 5ms response time.

I have found myself gravitating away from twitch games of late, but I am not ruling out getting back into them.

Is 5ms sufficient?

36. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 21, 2012, 12:29 WaltC

rist3903 wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:03:
Thanks for the monitor feedback!

I will take it under advisement.

Best advice: by the largest, highest-resolution monitor you can afford--and it won't hurt to extend the warranty on it out a couple more years, if possible (usually doesn't cost too much at time of purchase.)

If you are looking at tiny screens from 6" away the pixel density might be important to you, but generally a larger screen which allows you to comfortably observe it from 2'-3' away at minimum, is far more preferable, visible, and easy on the eyes. I do agree that 1920x1080 should be the minimum native res--with 1920x1200 being the sweet middle of the road--and ~2500x1600 being the absolute maximum. The first two resolutions are definitely the better buys--the top resolution only if you have money to burn and also plan to drop a wad for gpus powerful enough to drive all those pixels...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

35. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 21, 2012, 11:28 PHJF

And after having downloaded 600MB, twice, yesterday... it downloads another 600MB today.

WTF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 21, 2012, 02:03 rist3903

Thanks for the monitor feedback!

I will take it under advisement.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 07:03.

33. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 21:39 Sepharo

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 10:51:
With regards to the patch, what does "borderless windows are no longer topmost" mean?

It means when you play the game in borderless window mode that it no longer forces it to always be on top of any other windows you have open.

edit: Oops forgot to start reading page 2 of the comments.

I don't see the frame limiter setting in the config file and I can't find any information about it online. I guess I could just start guessing the variable name

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 21:51.

32. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 20:54 Dev

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 18:08:
I would advise getting the smallest monitor possible for a given resolution. That may sound counter-intuitive, but it ensures you get the highest pixel density, or ppi (pixels per inch), possible.
And I would counter that, because getting smallest possible at a high resolution means that the text in windows is very small and can be hard to read

I like my 37" 1080p

Anyway, its a matter of personal preference. I've seen 20"ish 1080p monitors for $100ish on sale.

Wolfox wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:44:
Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:36:
If they do an editor and release more dungeons, that should help with that Since its successful I'm sure they will, they already have the functionality in place to have different dungeons.

They already confirmed they're working on a level editor:

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/05/review-impressions-and-map-editor-news/
I had heard that they were, but you never know what ends up happening. However, I think the financial success of the game should ensure it getting released.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 21:02.

31. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 18:08 NewMaxx

rist3903 wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:19:
Anyone have suggestions as to what is currently the best monitor/deal at the moment?

I would advise getting the smallest monitor possible for a given resolution. That may sound counter-intuitive, but it ensures you get the highest pixel density, or ppi (pixels per inch), possible. You also want an LED backlight screen because they are lighter weight, use less energy and produce less heat, and generally provide a superior picture.

I'd suggest 1080p (1920x1080) as a baseline native resolution, which drops you at 21.5" (although 23" might be better for some people's eyes). If color accuracy is a concern, get an HP; if ergonomics, a Dell; if clarity, LG; if budget, ASUS. As an example, the one I've had my eye on for a while is the HP 2211x.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 18:14.

30. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 17:44 Wolfox

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:36:
If they do an editor and release more dungeons, that should help with that Since its successful I'm sure they will, they already have the functionality in place to have different dungeons.

They already confirmed they're working on a level editor:

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/05/review-impressions-and-map-editor-news/

29. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 17:39 Wolfox

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:30:
invert horizontal mouse option

Ok, I gotta ask. And this is coming from someone who always reverses mouselook (aka vert)...

Some people think like camera operators using old film cameras. Think about it.

28. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 17:36 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:29:
I kind of wish they'd randomize the weapons and/or locations they appear. I know the old school RPGs didn't do that, but it would make things different if you play it again since once you know what items are where, you can plan your party to take advantage what you come across.

27. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 17:34 Wolfox

deqer wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:09:
Looks like a company gettin' shit done. Unlike EA, or Blizzard which can take 6-12 months, or 5 years to implement suggestions/improvements/fixes.

I guess this game was either programmed very well, or the programmers are being honest about their time.

I think it was generally programmed well (despite obvious oversights like forgetting to limit framerates on "light" gamestates like menus and the like), and I think the programmers are quite honest indeed about their time (just check their dev blog), but I'd say the most important factor would be the complexity of the code itself, which, in this case, should be relatively low. It's a very simple game/engine, which helps a lot in debugging and bug fixing.

26. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 16:41 Orogogus

It probably helps that it's single-player only. Easier to test and all.  

25. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 16:19 rist3903

When your game is not very large you can make changes in a much shorter amount of time.

adjusted gui layout and camera fov so that user interface elements do not overlap with important screen areas on non-widescreen displays
Psyched about this one. My character portraits were obscuring anything I wanted to pick up on the right side of the screen.

Now sounds like it might be a good time to update monitors I guess, since it is officially making games not work well. Anyone have suggestions as to what is currently the best monitor/deal at the moment?

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 16:47.

24. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 16:09 deqer

Looks like a company gettin' shit done. Unlike EA, or Blizzard which can take 6-12 months, or 5 years to implement suggestions/improvements/fixes.

I guess this game was either programmed very well, or the programmers are being honest about their time.

23. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 14:53 briktal

Beamer wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:44:
Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:35:
pressing ESC closes character sheet

Nice, that one was bugging me.

Yeah, drove me nuts. This game should need the mouse as little as possible.

Good fix.

You could close it by pressing the appropriate shortcut key again. Which mostly resulted in hitting 1 two or three times to close the window.

22. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 13:57 MajorD

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:42:
This game looks great. I think I'll pick it up this weekend. Hooray for old-school dungeon crawlers! \o/

Beware & forewarned, it is 'very' addicting.

Enjoy

21. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 13:54 jimnms

Bhruic wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:16:
Mine just started updating a minute or two ago.

Mine began downloading a 666MB "patch" a bout 5 after noon. Then about 20 minutes later it downloaded another 664MB.

Steam Profile

20. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 13:44 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:35:
pressing ESC closes character sheet

Nice, that one was bugging me.

Yeah, drove me nuts. This game should need the mouse as little as possible.

Good fix.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo