Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2012, 12:57 Ant

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:43:
necrosis wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:15:
You bought a TV that does not support HDCP? Well that's your own fault.

Seriously. Upgrade or shutup.

There was a bit of an iffy period for HDCP implementation before HDTVs really went mainstream, my neighbor has some weird rear projection HDTV for example. Most people don't just upgrade their TV like their computer, they hang onto them until they break.
Like me. I still use a CRT TV, VGA, DVI, VCR, CASIO Data Bank calculator watch, analog bone conduction hearing aid (third one of the same model!), etc. Beat that!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2012, 12:49 WaltC

scratz wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:50:
I have four HDTVs, and the oldest, a 32 inch Vizio is no longer able to receive certain premium HD programming since this "update." Apparently it predates HDCP's wide adoption. I can't remember how long I've owned it. Probably 6 years now?

It is always a mistake when a provider chooses to remove service that a customer has been using for many years. "Buy a new TV" is a silly answer. I pay nearly $150 a month for my DirecTV service. They should grandfather existing accounts.

Check for an HDCP-HDMI adapter--should be one available for you somewhere. My old HD 4850 cards from ATi came with a DVI-to-HDMI/HDCP adaptor, which I supposed worked although I never tried it. I do know, however, that a plain DVI-to-HDMI adaptor, without the ATi HDCP circuitry, would *not* work satisfactorily with the 4850, though.

The newer HD cards, the ones with on-board HDMI ports, already have the HDCP functionality built in, so no worries there.

I agree that this sort of thing sucks. Paying customers are always the ones that pay out the most while the crooks sail on, scot-free.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

14. Re: automotive black box Apr 21, 2012, 10:20 HorrorScope

zirik wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:50:
i first noticed it in the manual of my car. a bit surprised but there is a small disclaimer stating a court order is needed to extract the content of the data recording prior to and immediately after an accident that triggers airbags. at least it seems the recording is limited by the small amount of memory installed. not sure if the one congress is proposing will constantly record events without airbag deployment.

Yeah that was the news article to comment on. Whoever keeps pushing for these things really has a microscopic penis. Between Cell and Car you truly are being watched 24/7. In the end it seems terrorists maybe the good side (Look it's Neo!), so sad.

13. Re: automotive black box Apr 21, 2012, 07:43 Fantaz

zirik wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:50:
i first noticed it in the manual of my car. a bit surprised but there is a small disclaimer stating a court order is needed to extract the content of the data recording prior to and immediately after an accident that triggers airbags. at least it seems the recording is limited by the small amount of memory installed. not sure if the one congress is proposing will constantly record events without airbag deployment.

im not sure if the article mentions it, but are there microphones recording in the cars?

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 20:54 UttiniDaKilrJawa

hmmm....read 'Car' as 'Cat' in the 'Hate to Break It' headline.
Talk about a WTF moment for a sec.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 18:37 space captain

PropheT wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:16:
Anyway, I'm about as anti-piracy as anyone I know of on the internet but for this kind of stuff I don't see any reason why HBO's customers shouldn't just use piracy sites to get the shows they're paying for at this point.

thats funny, im anti-stupidity so ive been working around this kind of bullshit for decades

but at least youve made it that far.. it only took you what, a lifetime?

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 17:16 PropheT

If, you know, you read the article it says that some people who have sets that do support it are having problems as well.

Anyway, I'm about as anti-piracy as anyone I know of on the internet but for this kind of stuff I don't see any reason why HBO's customers shouldn't just use piracy sites to get the shows they're paying for at this point. It's already bad enough that they only make their stuff available through HBO-Go online, and then still make it inaccessible to half the people who are paying for the channel. There's a number of shows I'd happily pay for, if they'd just f'ing let me, but the only way to get them if I miss the air date is to pirate the damn things.

9. automotive black box Apr 20, 2012, 15:50 zirik

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 15:43 Verno

There was a bit of an iffy period for HDCP implementation before HDTVs really went mainstream, my neighbor has some weird rear projection HDTV for example. Most people don't just upgrade their TV like their computer, they hang onto them until they break.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 14:50 scratz

I have four HDTVs, and the oldest, a 32 inch Vizio is no longer able to receive certain premium HD programming since this "update." Apparently it predates HDCP's wide adoption. I can't remember how long I've owned it. Probably 6 years now?

It is always a mistake when a provider chooses to remove service that a customer has been using for many years. "Buy a new TV" is a silly answer. I pay nearly $150 a month for my DirecTV service. They should grandfather existing accounts.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 14:15 necrosis

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 12:18 PHJF

derp the issue isn't TVs without HDCP (HDCP has been around for ten years), the issue is a bug or something in their implementation that causes HDCP to NOT WORK.

If you are trying to tell me you own an HDTV with HDMI that DOESN'T have HDCP, send me picture of your TV demonstrating as much and I'll send you a cookie. Otherwise you're just being a douche.

And wasn't HDCP cracked anyways???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 12:02 Creston

m0deth wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:39:
Sorry, but this is just more HBO+DirecTV(NewsCorp) bullshit.

So show your displeasure the only way they'll notice: Cancel your HBO subscription with DirecTV, and when you do, tell them you'll also gladly just torrent the shows off the internet.

They'll transfer you to retention, who'll try everything and anything to get you to stay, and just keep saying no.

If you give in, you're just bending over for this kind of bullshit.

Creston

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 11:39 m0deth

I'm sorry Blue but,

"HBO over HDMI works fine here"

reads to me like,

"works fine as long as you slurp Hollywood's nethers"

But hey I bought an HDTV early, and damn me for wanting the connections I've paid for and used for 4-5 years to keep working.

Sorry, but this is just more HBO+DirecTV(NewsCorp) bullshit.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 09:37 Verno

As usual just bones legitimate consumers, pirates get their stuff in HD for free without any of these problems.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2012, 09:21 eRe4s3r

Only works fine "here" if your TV supports HDCP

As for DRM on TV programs, obviously does not stop the instant availability of TV shows on the Intertubes, particularly not when 99% of the good shows never get out of the USA the same time they air in the USA. And so piracy of TV shows knows only one direction, up into the sky

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo