Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

For some reason I thought all the recent Titanic hype was leading to the 100th anniversary of the ocean liner's sinking today, but I wasn't paying enough attention, as this was actually on the 15th. This shows how much less obsessed with this I am than about anyone else in the world, because I didn't really need to hear any more about this in the first place. Maybe the centennial will finally put the story to watery rest. Today is still a commemoration of course, as 4/20 is like stoner Christmas, but if there's anything that gets more than its share of exposure all year round, it's the use of 420 in gamertags etc, so maybe we can just sink that reference while we're at it?

Hyped Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Talesworth Adventure: The Lost Artifacts.
Links: Via lemonade stand, 6yo boy raises $10K for dad's chemo.
Andrew's review of Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme. Thanks nin.
The Real-life Inspirations for 17 Simpsons Characters.
Stories: 16 Amish plead not guilty in Ohio hair attacks.
Everything You Want to Know About Flossing But Were Afraid to Ask.
World’s oldest living man celebrates 115th birthday.
Media: Newscaster Slips Collection. NSFW.
Dramatic look from soccer player.
Spider-Cat.
Follow-up: Gulf seafood "horribly deformed".

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 16:21 Sepharo

Zarkonis wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 13:04:
Love to see how many employers pull random drug tests out of their pocket for these potheads on 4/21. I know mine was planning on it, and I'll guarantee that we lose at least 2 people for it.

Your job must be pretty mindless if your employer is cool with firing trained/experienced employees for stupid reasons.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 13:04 Zarkonis

Love to see how many employers pull random drug tests out of their pocket for these potheads on 4/21. I know mine was planning on it, and I'll guarantee that we lose at least 2 people for it.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 10:49 Ant

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:21:
You're all missing what's really important about today...

... it's friday!
It is not Friday if you work on CATurday.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 02:21 zirik

Dades wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 01:05:
You can't just throw money at everything to solve it, some things are just that complex. You talk about cancer as if it was a simple ailment cured through enough mindshare and money. Cancer isn't just one thing, it's a broad range of malignant cell growth issues that span several different diseases. It has numerous causes and attacks many different organs in the body, it is a very complex thing to simply cure when we don't even fully understand everything about it yet. Do some research about it because you are incredibly uninformed.

you must have missed my original post. my mother died of metastatic cancer. we tried everything from chemo to radiation including the latest version of the gamma knife (called cyber knife in the east coast). went from one privately funded clinical study to another. doctors told us to try one drug after another with no effect. in the end we found a doctor in the west coast who has the highest survival rate even for stage 4 cancer. but my mother died before we could start the procedure. the very successful technique is not approved by the FDA or insurance companies. it is a very expensive procedure. which is why most of his patients are medical doctors and CEOs of large companies. so whats the controversial treatment? it involves cancerous tissue taken from the patient and growing it in the lab to test with various cancer drugs. the one that works best is given to the patient. all that came from one doctor who did not have billions of dollars and 75 years to develop. yet he came up with a very effective way of treating cancer. its so simple and obvious but no insurance company will cover the cost of the procedure. the recent study suggesting that there are 10 different types of breast cancer is a good reason for the aforementioned technique to become standard because a majority of oncologists simply shoot in the dark with their drug of choice and hope for the best. tell me again why money cant treat the disease because i am incredibly uninformed.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 04:44.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 01:59 zirik

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 23:15:
You struck me all right, struck me as one of the dumbest mother fuckers to post on this forum in a long time. All the pork barreling, the endless war on marijuana, the war on illegal immigrants, the *actual* war(s) on the far side of the world, and you come up here saying that of all the things the government spends money on they should stop funding cancer research.

really? i said stop funding cancer research? i said get rid of redundancy. of all the different agencies involved in cancer research the NCI has not done a good job in the past 75 years.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 02:22.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 01:42 haki

It took a molecular biology class in college before i realized how complex of a disease cancer really is.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 01:05 Dades

zirik wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 20:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:09:
...corruption in the FDA and how much big pharma overcharges you for old treatments because there's no money in innovation or cures.

thats the other part of the problem with cancer treatment. after 75 years with an average of 4.5 billion dollars annual budget the national cancer institute has nothing to show except quality assurance studies of chemicals submitted by drug companies. no cure, no progress... nothing. its work is duplicated by the CDC, NIH and get this the DOD. if govt has to immediately shut down a worthless institution it should be the national cancer institute.

You can't just throw money at everything to solve it, some things are just that complex. You talk about cancer as if it was a simple ailment cured through enough mindshare and money. Cancer isn't just one thing, it's a broad range of malignant cell growth issues that span several different diseases. It has numerous causes and attacks many different organs in the body, it is a very complex thing to simply cure when we don't even fully understand everything about it yet. Do some research about it because you are incredibly uninformed.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 01:02 mch

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 21:11:
Wow I didn't realize cancer was so easy to find a cure for.

By all means, zirik, go cure cancer. You sound like an extremely learned individual in matters of human anatomy, health, and molecular and cellular biology. I'm sure you'll cure cancer in no time at all!

Haha no opinion on this but I'm sorry god this post cracked me the fuck up.

PSN: CaseDesignate

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 23:15 PHJF

You struck me all right, struck me as one of the dumbest mother fuckers to post on this forum in a long time. All the pork barreling, the endless war on marijuana, the war on illegal immigrants, the *actual* war(s) on the far side of the world, and you come up here saying that of all the things the government spends money on they should stop funding cancer research.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 21:30 zirik

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 21:11:

By all means, zirik, go cure cancer. You sound like an extremely learned individual in matters of human anatomy, health, and molecular and cellular biology. I'm sure you'll cure cancer in no time at all!

did i struck a nerve with a govt worker? you seem to be threatened by my suggestion of shutting down a govt institution that is redundant and a waste of tax payer money.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 21:38.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 21:11 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 20:48 zirik

...corruption in the FDA and how much big pharma overcharges you for old treatments because there's no money in innovation or cures.

thats the other part of the problem with cancer treatment. after 75 years with an average of 4.5 billion dollars annual budget the national cancer institute has nothing to show except quality assurance studies of chemicals submitted by drug companies. no cure, no progress... nothing. its work is duplicated by the CDC, NIH and get this the DOD. if govt has to immediately shut down a worthless institution it should be the national cancer institute.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 18:52 MisterBenn

like asking that fly on my wall to hit itself with a magazine and fall neatly into the trashcan.

I've heard of asking turkeys to vote for Christmas... is this one a real phrase? I like it!

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 18:29 space captain

Or the underlying issue with cancer treatments, the fact that they're pumping the same poisons into your body now that they were 30+ years ago (chemicals and radiation), hoping that the cancerous cells are among the casualties in your body as it's methodically destroyed from the inside... But asking the mainstream media to report on corruption in the FDA and how much big pharma overcharges you for old treatments because there's no money in innovation or cures is like asking that fly on my wall to hit itself with a magazine and fall neatly into the trashcan.

yeh but oxygen therapy is just too damn cheap.. nobody makes any money from that

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 17:09 jacobvandy

Or the underlying issue with cancer treatments, the fact that they're pumping the same poisons into your body now that they were 30+ years ago (chemicals and radiation), hoping that the cancerous cells are among the casualties in your body as it's methodically destroyed from the inside... But asking the mainstream media to report on corruption in the FDA and how much big pharma overcharges you for old treatments because there's no money in innovation or cures is like asking that fly on my wall to hit itself with a magazine and fall neatly into the trashcan.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 16:31 Hyatus

It's also George Takei's birthday.  

13. 6yr old lemonade Apr 20, 2012, 16:07 zirik

i totally agree with the article. the media should not be running feel good stories about a boy asking for charity to pay for dads chemo. they should be highlighting how the health care industry is making it more difficult to pay for treatment. almost 5 years since the death of my mom from cancer and we are still paying for her radiation and chemotherapy treatments. i cant imagine anyone who doesnt have the support of family/relatives paying for cancer treatment on their own. so true with what they said, if the cancer doesnt kill you the medical bill just might.  

12. Re: Gulf seafood Apr 20, 2012, 16:01 DangerDog

space captain wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:19:
thats weird, i thought those oil dispersant chemicals were supposed to be totally harmless and safe for everything

i cant believe they lied to us

The scientists say it's all good and safe to eat, whew! Thank you big oil corporate funded scientists for clearing that up.

Most of the Titanic info is just a rehash of the incident but this documentary caught my attention, it's about the making of the 1943 version of "Titanic" in Nazi Germany.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/revealed/episodes/nazi-titanic-revealed

little bit of contention regarding some of the historical accuracies in the comments section, but worth checking out if you can find it.

search nazi titanic history channel

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 15:55 Hoop

10/4 no 4/20  

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 15:55 zirik

420 also hitlers birthday.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer