Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up

The Kickstarter Page for Shadowrun Returns follows up on the previous update about making a special level in the game exclusively for backers if they reach the $1.5 million level. As we noted at the time, not all the responses to the idea of exclusive content, and the new update says they've heard this, and changed the plan accordingly:

Your generosity of spirit and your support for people who aren’t (yet, we hope) involved in this Kickstarter really says something important about the Shadowrun Community and we’re proud to be a part of it. But we still want to say “thank you” to everyone supporting the project and putting their faith in us.

So here’s what we’re going to do: If we’re lucky enough to get to $1.5m, we’ll create that story and make it available only to backers but for an exclusive period of time. Then, we’ll open it up so that everyone can see how the dots between Jake and Harlequin are connected.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 21, 2012, 13:12 MattyC

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 23:03:
Ok so I played the SNES version, there was a Genesis version, and a Sega CD version also right? Of the SNES/Genesis version, which would you say is the best.

Both are good, but I greatly preferred the Genesis version. The Sega CD game was never released in English.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 20, 2012, 17:12 Flatline

Ok so I played the SNES version, there was a Genesis version, and a Sega CD version also right? Of the SNES/Genesis version, which would you say is the best.

The Genesis version at the time was considered superior, mainly because it adhered to the PnP ruleset pretty dang well, right down to allocating combat dice pools, which was pretty sweet. If you understood the system you could game the hell out of the video game.

The down side is that it requires an insane amount of grinding to make it to the top tier of the game. The instruction manual left a lot to be desired too. I mean, it took years before I realized that I could actually upgrade my character via the karma menu.

If you don't feel like grinding, there's a code for the genesis game. At the title screen type in ABBACAB (that's the genesis code mapped to whatever keys you mapped to) and hit start. Go into your pocket secretary, and scroll down past the last entry, and there will be a blank entry. In there is a cheat menu for like 250k money, 20 karma, all contacts, etc etc... You only get one cheat, but you can save and reset and do it over again if you want to keep cheating.

I'll admit I usually give myself either the money or a karma boost (you're woefully weak compared to a starting SR character) at the beginning and go from there, as it feels more like a proper starting level PC and it reduces the grinding significantly.

I would also like to take this moment to state publicly that I was wrong about the community's outlook on the bonus mission. In a previous thread I expressed doubt that the community was "overwhelmingly against" the DLC being backer exclusive. I was wrong about that.

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 20, 2012, 12:05 Creston

Amazingly, both were awesome. You can't really go wrong with either one.

As for the mission, I like the idea of a mission with Harlequin in it, but I'm glad they stepped away from the EA-ish Exclusive business.

I love just clicking on Shadowrun's kickstarter page every hour and see the amount has gone up by another 2 grand. Keep donating, peeps.

Creston

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 20, 2012, 10:32 Wowbagger_TIP

I preferred the Genesis version. It felt more open and the Matrix implementation was more interesting.

On the Kickstarter subject, I hope they hit $1.5M, and the extra mission should be cool and all, but I mostly want them to put the extra effort into making the editor really robust and useable.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 23:34 Icewind

I liked both, but felt the Genesis version was superior, if only due to its more faithful adaption of the PnP ruleset at the time. It also was far more challenging and had a quasi-openworld style of gameplay that was a decade ahead of its time. It even had factions that you could join and optional main quests that could be ignored while you buried yourself in elder scrolls-style endless side questing.

6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 23:03 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 22:52 MattyC

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 22:16:
nin wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 21:42:
Yeah, I think folks are kind of focusing on one small detail. As long as it's an awesome game (and now a second city!), I'll be totally happy.

While I was initially the most excited about Double Fine, I think the interest in this one and Wasteland has slightly surpassed it. But I can't wait to see all 3.

Really glad this one made it's funding, as it looks like it has a lot of promise.

I chipped in 60 on this one, Shadowrun is prolly my favorite genesis game of all time so it was a pretty easy decision.

I would just like to add that I too loved the Genesis Shadowrun. Such a great game for the era. Also a really neat universe (though I never really played the regular game).

4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 22:24 nin

I chipped in 60 on this one, Shadowrun is prolly my favorite genesis game of all time so it was a pretty easy decision.

Sounds like I need to snag the rom and check it out...never played it when I had a genesis.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 22:16 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 21:42:
Yeah, I think folks are kind of focusing on one small detail. As long as it's an awesome game (and now a second city!), I'll be totally happy.

While I was initially the most excited about Double Fine, I think the interest in this one and Wasteland has slightly surpassed it. But I can't wait to see all 3.

Really glad this one made it's funding, as it looks like it has a lot of promise.

2. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 21:42 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 21:14 Cutter

Thanks, but unnecessary. Just focus on getting us a good editor with the game.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo