Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prey 2 Lives; Delayed

The Bethesda Blog has an update on Prey 2, Human Head's upcoming first-person shooter sequel that was rumored last month as having been cancelled. Word is the game is not cancelled, just delayed beyond the end of this year:

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Sep 13, 2012, 12:33 BobBob

The original Prey was horrible. Dying was the best way to progress through the game.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 20, 2012, 03:53 Jerykk

I ain't american so the whole indian shamen deal kinda left me cold and I really had to force myself through the first Prey.

So you only enjoy games where the protagonist shares the same ethnicity as you..?

24. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 20:19 Lorcin

I ain't american so the whole indian shamen deal kinda left me cold and I really had to force myself through the first Prey. I'm hoping they can make Prey 2 somewhere between Portal and Half-Life and just drop the whole mystic bullshit and make a shooter which messes with your head.

I want Descent 4.

23. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 19:49 Acleacius

Kristian Joensen wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 19:00:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 15:34:
Two great pieces of news from Human Head in one week Rune and Prey 2?
<faints>

If what Shacknews is reporting is true, this isn't good news from Human Head.
Thanks for the link Kristian!
Ouch. Crying

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 19:19 theyarecomingforyou

Kristian Joensen wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 19:00:
To be fair I'd rather Human Head worked on a sequel to Rune, as they are rumoured to be. And if they did stop work on Prey 2 to try to negotiate a better contract then it's their own fault - if they didn't like the original contract then they shouldn't have signed it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 19:00 Kristian Joensen

Acleacius wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 15:34:
<faints>

20. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 17:37 Darks

baltar wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 14:34:
I played and beat Syndicate. Sure, the original is better, but this game had a bit of a charm to it. It was like when I first played Daikatana. Sure everyone said it was a bad game, but it had that sort of charm that only a shitty game can provide that kept me playing. It's similar to that charm where you see an accident on the side of the road and can't help but watch.

Did they ever fix the over blown lighting? I stopped playing it. The lighting was killing my eyes.

As for Prey 2, trust me, the second one is nothing like the first. You’re more of a bounty hunter now with a past. You’re the human guy that was abducted off the plane and somehow you are now working for an alien faction tracking down criminals. Saw this game at E3 and it was pretty damn kewl. Not just the video they showed off. Plus I know the Head guys really well. I know they won’t let this game fail.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

19. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 17:31 Beelzebud

loomy wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 15:46:
it is fine that bethesda is expanding. but they should not attach their name to every shitty game that comes along. attach these crappy games to id software or whatever else.

If they don't want crappy games associated with their brand, then perhaps they should stop rushing developers to release unfinished games for them to publish.

Id Software has nothing to do with this game, so I'm not sure why you think they should just "attach" it to them. Bethesda is the publisher, not Id.

18. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 16:08 Yakubs

As long as they release Prey 2 with a handy after-death mechanic in which I'm teleported to another realm where I take potshots at weird aliens for a few seconds, after which I'm conveniently deposited exactly at the point where I died but now with full health. That really kept the tension up!  

17. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:49 space captain

i remember hearing about 3DRealms demoing Prey back in like 97, in some closed room shit.. they had some kind of demo where the guy blows away some pillars and the roof comes down, showing off some destructible terrain tech... that was really exciting shit 15 years ago..  
Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:46 loomy

it is fine that bethesda is expanding. but they should not attach their name to every shitty game that comes along. attach these crappy games to id software or whatever else.  

15. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:34 Acleacius

<faints>

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:31 zirik

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:52:
Fair enough, I didn't really get into the original much. I beat it but the characters and universe never really grabbed me.

i wasnt impressed by the original either. mostly because that damn good trailer they showed at e3 pretty much told what the game was all about and left nothing to the imagination. i hope prey 2 keeps the good parts as a surprise for the consumer and not give it away on any trailer.

13. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:28 eRe4s3r

I think Bethesda wants to make sure this isn't turning into another Rogue Warrior or Brink...

You see, besides Skyrim Bethesda published and produced a whole lot of .. crap. And I have the feeling they want to be ABSOLUTELY sure this is not going to be mentioned in the same vein as Rogue Warrior.....

Which could mean this could become a Game of the Year contender, because the preview vids already looked insanely good. If they can deliver even half of that free-flow feeling and RPG'like elements in a decent shooter in a fresh world then this is gonna be a win.

12. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:22 theyarecomingforyou

I enjoyed the original game and enjoyed the gravity and portal mechanics but they couldn't have made a sequel using the same mechanics. Personally I like the new direction and the non-linear gameplay is certainly welcome. I'm glad that it's not cancelled but I'd want to see more gameplay before making any judgement on it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:18 Agent.X7

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 15:01:
Thank God this isn't dead, I was in love with it from the original concept release. Hopefully they put some Bethesda staff on it to finish it right if Human Head is dropping the ball.

Yeah, I played the original. It was pretty cool, but not genre changing like they claimed it would be. I was looking forward to this one as I like the alien city concept, so I'm glad it's not cancelled.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:01 StingingVelvet

Thank God this isn't dead, I was in love with it from the original concept release. Hopefully they put some Bethesda staff on it to finish it right if Human Head is dropping the ball.  

9. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 14:34 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 14:23:
"Quality standards?" This coming from the publisher that released Rogue Warrior?

Yeah, but they didn't own Rogue Warrior, so they were willing to just throw it out into distribution channels. They own Prey, so they have a more vested interest in maintaining it.

But yeah, this bodes pretty poorly. Then again, RDR was almost canceled a dozen times for being of poor quality.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 14:34 baltar

I played and beat Syndicate. Sure, the original is better, but this game had a bit of a charm to it. It was like when I first played Daikatana. Sure everyone said it was a bad game, but it had that sort of charm that only a shitty game can provide that kept me playing. It's similar to that charm where you see an accident on the side of the road and can't help but watch.  

7. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 14:23 Jerykk

"Quality standards?" This coming from the publisher that released Rogue Warrior?  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo