Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We recently found some ground Moroccan lamb at a local grocer, which put a bug in my ear to try this as part of a hamburger mix, as I usually use 100% ground beef. The result was mixed, but very interesting. The interesting part is the grilled spiced lamb created exactly the flavor I was expecting. The mixed part is how it was not mixed, as starting with ground beef and ground lamb made it hard to blend the two adequately without over handling the meat, and it seems clear that using different varieties in a ground meat situation would benefit from being ground together. In the end it turned out pretty much as I expected: I'll likely just stick to beef for the burgers, but I really want to find a use for that lamb... perhaps just as lamburgers.

R.I.P.: Men at Work musician Greg Ham found dead.

Lamby Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Dash'n Knights.
Links: Coachella announces all-hologram festival featuring only dead people. Thanks nin.
Stories: Man protests airport security - naked.
Science: LEGO's Used to Aid in Synthetic Bone Generation. Thanks Netta.
Media: Epic Rap Battles Of History. NSFW.
The Art of Film & TV Title Design.
Remote Controlled Rat In Brazilian Clothing Store. Cammed dressing rooms?
Auction: Tough Times: GSA Auctions Top-Secret US Navy Stealth Ship. Thanks Cog.
The Funnies: Dilbert. Thanks dakslf.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Skyrim Apr 20, 2012, 11:16 mch

MisterBenn wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 19:23:
If there's time for a couple more suggestions, here are my current favourites:...

Oh there's certainly time...I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. But now all these suggestions are really making me wish I had done 1-day delivery.

PSN: CaseDesignate
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 22:25 MisterBenn

Ah that's interesting about Dynamic Merchants... I've already swapped over so I'll see how it pans out. The greeting range seems good so far, I had something similar in Morrowind.

I've mostly used Nexus Mod Manager and Wrye Bash until now but just started getting some mods from the Steam Workshop. I noticed you have to redownload the mods from Steam every time if you use an external utility to reorder the mods! That's a killer for me with a 2Mb connection. My newly discovered tip of the day is to just favourite them rather than subscribe...

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 21:42 Hyatus

These are much better links for EPIC RAP BATTLES...UHHIRORYYYY!!!

Season 1

and

Season 2

33. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 21:38 nin

MisterBenn wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 20:12:
nin I took you up on your recommendations of container names, NPC greeting range and also dynamic merchants as is sounds better than Economics of Skyrim...

First two worked great...I'm still not sure Dynamic was working correctly. The idea is, if you use a certain merchant, they should have more money the next time around. Because I picked up everything, I ended up using 3 merchants constantly (since each would run out of money), and while sometimes they had extra money, sometimes they didn't. I'm not sure if the point of the mod was to use a single merchant, and I was confusing the fuck out of it by using 3...

But Container Names is very handy, as I tend to want to examine everything...except the damn food ones.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 21:01 Dev

Ground lamb meat makes GREAT chili and tacos. IMHO better than beef.  

31. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 20:12 MisterBenn

nin I took you up on your recommendations of container names, NPC greeting range and also dynamic merchants as is sounds better than Economics of Skyrim...  

30. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 19:46 nin

Checked at home, I have (all available at the steam workshop):

Stones of Barenziah quest markers

Dynamic merchants

Faster vanilla horses (although I never bought a horse)

Racial bonus in description (very simple, but nice)

Improved container names

No bloom (fix eye adjusting)

Slightly reduced distance NPC greetings

Unlimited bookshelves (although it didn't work for me)

Birds and flocks (adds birds flying, very nice)

Spend dragon souls for perks

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 19:23 MisterBenn

If there's time for a couple more suggestions, here are my current favourites:

1) Skyrim Creatures Alive (wilderness spawns are reworked. High level creatures are rare but possible at any level so you are genuinely taking a risk to go out wandering at low levels.

2) Realistic Lighting with Customisation - an overall weather and lighting mod with options to set the nights and dungeons super dark if you like that. Natural skies at all times of day and no performance impact from the method they use.

3) If you like hunger/thirst mods, Imp's More Complex Needs is superb. You'll need to think about your eat/drink/sleep as you go adventuring, great if you like to take your time and really get into it!

As mentioned, SkyUI is the absolute must. Your life will be a lot easier if you use the Nexus Mod Manager to install your mods.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 18:38 Cutter

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 17:53:
And RIP Levon Helm as well!!

Awww! I loved Levon! RIP Mr. Helm.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

27. Re: Skyrim Apr 19, 2012, 18:33 mch

Thanks for the mod suggestions everyone!  
PSN: CaseDesignate

26. what to do with the ground lamb Apr 19, 2012, 18:32 skyguy

Lamb feta olive meatballs!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/feta-and-olive-meatballs/

taste fantastic, just put 'em in a pita with some lettuce and tomato, don't need hummus or anything.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 18:22 PHJF

Yeah, seems heretical but personally I found the controller to be a lot better for Skyrim at everything except archery. I was really sceptical but tried it and immediately found it very clearly better.

Yeahhhhhhhhh... no.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 17:53 Marvin T. Martian

And RIP Levon Helm as well!!  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 17:48 DG

For Skyrim, I just went with the maps with roads.

I have the compact hideout now, basically so there's one loot/materials/etc stash connected to all the houses, though I got that late on when I was just tidying up the missions.

Most of the mods seem to be minor graphical improvements with a risk of them changing the "artistic integrity" or whatever so I didn't bother. The HD texture pack is worth it but the other stuff didn't seem quite worth the hassle.

As for SkyUI, everyone using KB+M says it's a must, but using the MS controller it's not necessary. Yeah, seems heretical but personally I found the controller to be a lot better for Skyrim at everything except archery. I was really sceptical but tried it and immediately found it very clearly better.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 17:40 DG

For burgers try venison.

The lamb I'd be thinking about a curry or shepherd's pie.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 17:15 PenGun

Mmmmm ... baby sheep. I'll stick to my vegetarian lifestyle thanks. I'm 65 now, my weights are done for today, time to take my daughter's dog up the mountain.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 16:27 Cutter

Hoop wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 15:37:
Just lamb burgers but use New Zealand lamb, it's the valve software of meat quality. Grill them though, don't steam them.

Mmm, steamed hams!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 15:37 Hoop

Just lamb burgers but use New Zealand lamb, it's the valve software of meat quality. Grill them though, don't steam them.  

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 15:11 docwho1

Have you ever tried ground pork and beef for you hamburgers?  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 14:30 Creston

Blue wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 09:51:
nin wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 09:25:
Men at Work musician Greg Ham found dead.

Damn. Need to go find my copy of Business As Usual...

That might be Overkill.

That joke is only understood in the Land Down Under.

Sigh. yours wins.

Creston

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo