Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Thanks nin.

The PA Report - How Valve “devalued” video games, and why that’s great news for developers and players.
Those seem to be wise words, and gamers are increasingly sensitive to the price of the games they play, but when you look at the data you see that Valve has done something magical: The company has found a way to charge less, and earn more. This isn’t a purely selfish move, as developers also praise the pricing structure of these sales. The issue of game pricing is much more complex, and mysterious, than most are willing to admit.

Wired.com - We Don't Need Game Publishers, Hardware Makers or Retailers.
But something critical has changed. While publishers, retailers and hardware makers might still be adding value, they are no longer required. Using the miracle of the internet, game creators can make videogames — good ones! — and sell them to game players without any involvement from traditional publishers, retailers or hardware makers. And when creators don’t have to put their work through the gauntlet of middlemen, with everybody down the line taking their cut of the profits, they can sell those games much more cheaply.

The PA Report - The ugly side of Kickstarter- the risks in backing game dev campaigns are greater than you think.
Of those projects that do manage to ship, some will be good games and some will be awful, with most winding up somewhere in the middle. This is the reality of game development in the real world, and projects funded by Kickstarter are no different. The unfortunate truth is that many backers of game projects are buying the ability to wait 18 months to play a mediocre game.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: The risk of failure IS greater than you think. Apr 19, 2012, 00:34 xXBatmanXx

PropheT wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 00:26:
IMAPC wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 23:34:
Wow that gem of yours deserves to be in the annals of stupidity for this forum.

Genius, the meaning of risk to which the author of that article is referring is the chance or probability of failure for a Kickstarter project. And, he's absolutely right. The risk that the backers' money will not result in a game much less the one that was promised or one that is worth playing is a lot greater than most backers realize for the many reasons given in the article.

I'm pretty sure what Sepharo was saying was "duh", basically. Everyone of any intelligence whatsoever knows exactly what he's saying in the Captain Obvious article.

You might want to hold off the insults next time when you're basically arguing with him saying "No shit, Sherlock" to exactly what you wrote after the jab.

Well, if you notice, IMAPC is one of our newer trolls. Hasn't really given anything good to any conversation yet.

Everyone knows KS is a risk. I put money in on a project that is basically done, they just wanted to add some stuff. I spend more on beer in a couple hours - worst case scenario - I don't get a few beers. whoopity doo!

That being said, there are projects that are pretty glaring on there that they will never come to be. Just have to be smart.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: The risk of failure IS greater than you think. Apr 19, 2012, 00:26 PropheT

IMAPC wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 23:34:

Genius, the meaning of risk to which the author of that article is referring is the chance or probability of failure for a Kickstarter project. And, he's absolutely right. The risk that the backers' money will not result in a game much less the one that was promised or one that is worth playing is a lot greater than most backers realize for the many reasons given in the article.

I'm pretty sure what Sepharo was saying was "duh", basically. Everyone of any intelligence whatsoever knows exactly what he's saying in the Captain Obvious article.

You might want to hold off the insults next time when you're basically arguing with him saying "No shit, Sherlock" to exactly what you wrote after the jab.

7. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 23:41 eRe4s3r

I wonder how many people know that 95% of all started game projects fail to even produce a release?

Theres thousands of Indy projects that fail because they run out of money, have no skill or planning etc. So if anything Kickstarter at least allows them to *maybe* finish the game to get skill and planning etc...

So in that regard, I think Kickstarter does something good. The problem is Kickstarter is still US centric and it needs to get International ASAP. I even think Kickstarter should start to actually handle posters and t-shirts because this is the kind of stuff that can KILL 20k $ projects instantly. T-Shirts are cheap, shipping 600 of them is not.

6. The risk of failure IS greater than you think. Apr 18, 2012, 23:34 IMAPC

Sepharo wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 21:17:
No, they're not. I think I risked $15... in fact I know it.

If you personally are willing to throw away your money on the low probability that a game will result, then that article is not meant for you. It's meant for the many backers who don't understand that they may never receive a game despite their financial contribution.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2012, 23:45.

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 23:02 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 22:22:
Yeah that was a pretty good article with a terrible headline...

"the risks in backing game dev campaigns are greater than you think"

Considering how much in bed the PA guys are with the big publishers it's no wonder they're not fond of kickstarter.

Haha troll hard bro.

4. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 22:30 ASeven

On the other hand the Wired article was quite interesting to read.  

3. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 22:22 RollinThundr

Considering how much in bed the PA guys are with the big publishers it's no wonder they're not fond of kickstarter.

2. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 21:17 Sepharo

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2012, 21:07 mag

The possible risks of Kickstarter:

My $15 might turn into no game or a bad game

The possible rewards of Kickstarter:

My $15 might turn into a good niche game that would never have existed without it.

OH NOES MY FIFTEEN DOLLARS!

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo