Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer

The Diablo III Website has a new feature on the Monk class in Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel, pointing the way to this reveal with details and a new trailer. They also announce the beta test for the game is drawing to a close in two weeks:

In preparation for the launch of Diablo III on Tuesday, May 15, the beta servers will be brought offline on Tuesday, May 1. At that time, all beta accounts and character information will be reset. Leading up to Diablo's May 15 launch date, players will only be able to create comments and forum posts on the official Diablo III community site if they have pre-purchased Diablo III or have a StarCraft II or an active World of Warcraft game license attached to their Battle.net account. In the meantime, we encourage everyone to stay tuned to this website for exciting news and updates regarding the upcoming release.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 09:17 nin

m00t wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 06:28:
For anyone wanting to try the Beta, you can install the client now and play this weekend (Friday Noon PDT to 10am Monday) if you have a Battle.net account

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963739/

Yep, kicked mine off this morning...had the 3.5 gig download in 30 minutes...nice!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 06:28 m00t

For anyone wanting to try the Beta, you can install the client now and play this weekend (Friday Noon PDT to 10am Monday) if you have a Battle.net account

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963739/

33. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 12:12 Creston

eunichron wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 01:10:
Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 01:01:
Does anyone have any experience with D3's online requirement causing lag? I'm curious about that part of it, whether the stupid thing lags in SP because of their servers being overloaded.

Yes. It was a problem during some periods of the beta, but usually only immediately following patches, or when they began stress testing. Generally once the kinks of a major patch or stress test got worked out I never had any major issues with lag. My ping usually fluctuated between 80-150 during peak hours, and the latency wasn't noticeable.

I think most of the assets are local, but when there was bad latency there would be rubber banding of your character and the monsters, so I imagine along with the DRM of it there is probably some server checks going on to prevent things like speed and maphacks. Though, last I heard they didn't actually have any anti-cheat measures in place during the beta as there are already maphacks and other cheats available. There are also emulated servers available, and I imagine they'll be around for retail as well.

[EDIT]
Now that I actually look at videos of the emulated servers it appears that no monsters spawn and you can't access your stash. You can use your skills though, so I imagine that things like monster spawns and item stash/inventory is stores server-side.

Thanks man.

Creston

32. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 08:06 Verno

Julio wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 06:27:
The beta is fun, though the game isn't really all that deep. Better and deeper character options would have been nice, its really dumbed down.

I'll still play the full game when it comes out though.

It was really short, I think I spent a few hours with each run and that was pushing it. I don't know how anyone could spend 3+, they'd have to be taking frequent potty breaks or staring at the screen while they drool. It wasn't really enough time to get a feel for how deep the gameplay mechanics will really go as the higher difficulties aren't represented.

I don't know, I guess we'll see. I've got a pretty big backlog of games and thats without going into other MP stuff, the beta was fun but didn't really get me excited enough to preorder or something.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

31. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 06:27 Julio

The beta is fun, though the game isn't really all that deep. Better and deeper character options would have been nice, its really dumbed down.

I'll still play the full game when it comes out though.

30. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 06:09 xXBatmanXx

pfft. Never got an invite......  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 05:57 Dades

Krovven wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:18:
PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:03:
If you are slow as fuck and have never played a video game before in your life, it would take you three hours to play through the beta.

Not everyone is an speed freak playing their games. Even Batman has told you, he can't play anything with you because you just want to race through content.

There is a fixed amount of quest and flavour text and audio. At least the first time through, stopping to read everything and making sure you explore every corner, clicking/destroying/looting everything and returning to town to sell (starting the game fresh, gold will be needed for lvling up the Smithy), checking vendors for gear, etc. is going to take you close to 2.5 hrs from beginning to killing the Skeleton King.

Blizzard defense force to the rescue. Beta was about an hour long, maybe an hour and a half if you take your time.

28. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 03:46 Luke

Slippy wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 23:05:
Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:22:
Yeah, but we won't be buying the game because of the online DRM but we still wanted to try it out.

This has got to be one of the funniest statements I have ever read on this...

After all the complaining and bitching... "um... but... we still wanted to try it out."

You joined the anti-d3 band wagon... suffer.

Or maybe he tried it out before he comment about the game Bomb

27. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 03:43 Luke

The real question is why the hell do people care about gold stars...

The faceshit virus : See me Feel me Hear me Clown

26. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 03:28 DangerDog

Krovven wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 00:03:
DangerDog wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 22:51:
aside from not having a pause function.

When was the last time you played D3 beta? In a solo game, they made pressing Esc pause the game several patches ago.

Been awhile, good info though. I've only played through the beta about twice with different characters.

25. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 02:26 deqer

Jivaro wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 01:12:
I lagged
lol.

that's what you get for playing DRM. bwahahaha. newb.

24. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 01:12 Jivaro

Does anyone have any experience with D3's online requirement causing lag? I'm curious about that part of it, whether the stupid thing lags in SP because of their servers being overloaded.

Does it load stuff from the server, or is the game entirely local, and they just added the always-on crap because of their precious real-money auction house?

Creston

I have been playing the beta for the last week or so. I only played in SP. I leveled all of the classes to 10 and beat the Skeleton King with each one as well. During all of that time, I lagged probably 4 times on my standard Comcast residential cable internet connection. None of the lags were longer then a second or two. The game seemed to wait for me in each case, so I think the server simply verifies what the client is doing. I could be wrong...but all I know is that when I did lag my health didn't suddenly drop, which indicates nothing was hitting me while I was "lagged".

23. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 eunichron

Yes. It was a problem during some periods of the beta, but usually only immediately following patches, or when they began stress testing. Generally once the kinks of a major patch or stress test got worked out I never had any major issues with lag. My ping usually fluctuated between 80-150 during peak hours, and the latency wasn't noticeable.

I think most of the assets are local, but when there was bad latency there would be rubber banding of your character and the monsters, so I imagine along with the DRM of it there is probably some server checks going on to prevent things like speed and maphacks. Though, last I heard they didn't actually have any anti-cheat measures in place during the beta as there are already maphacks and other cheats available. There are also emulated servers available, and I imagine they'll be around for retail as well.

[EDIT]
Now that I actually look at videos of the emulated servers it appears that no monsters spawn and you can't access your stash. You can use your skills though, so I imagine that things like monster spawns and item stash/inventory is stores server-side.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2012, 01:21.

22. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 01:01 Creston

Does it load stuff from the server, or is the game entirely local, and they just added the always-on crap because of their precious real-money auction house?

Creston

21. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 00:08 Alamar

Yeah, but we won't be buying the game because of the online DRM but we still wanted to try it out.

I expect the release to be less than smooth but the DRM doesn't bother me, aside from not having a pause function. I probably wouldn't even be getting it if I didn't have a bunch of game credits on Amazon that were set to expire.

Hitting escape pauses D3 when solo... Forgetting to do it, and alt tabbing... Well, that was my first death heh...

-Alamar

20. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 00:03 Krovven

aside from not having a pause function.

When was the last time you played D3 beta? In a solo game, they made pressing Esc pause the game several patches ago.

19. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 23:48 Bucky

I think it took me around 3 hours to hit the Skeleton King with a fresh character, but I'd search every single area, look through all the lore, mess around in town, and make sure everything that moved was dead.

I had to stop playing the beta so that I wouldn't get frustrated with the lack of progress and not be excited for the full game when I finally got it.

18. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 23:05 Slippy

This has got to be one of the funniest statements I have ever read on this...

After all the complaining and bitching... "um... but... we still wanted to try it out."

You joined the anti-d3 band wagon... suffer.

17. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 22:51 DangerDog

I expect the release to be less than smooth but the DRM doesn't bother me, aside from not having a pause function. I probably wouldn't even be getting it if I didn't have a bunch of game credits on Amazon that were set to expire.

16. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 22:40 Draugr

Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 22:13:
PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:59:
They said over and again NOTHING from the beta would carry over.
I was talking an achievement, not anything from character or inventory lol.

Things like the starcraft 2 collectors edition offer exclusive avatars and character portraits that you cannot get in the regular starcraft 2 game. So it wouldn't surprise me if blizzard did something like a special in game portrait if you got all the beta achievements.

Thats what I'm talking about, not anything "carried over"

Yeah, nothing will carry over, achievements are still part of nothing.
Having an achievement carry over from the beta and giving you an achievement for paying more money for your copy aren't the same thing.

The real question is why the hell do people care about gold stars...

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo