Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+

The Kickstarter Campaign for Wasteland 2 has concluded, with inXile entertainment's post-apocalyptic RPG sequel taking in well over triple its initial USD $900K goal. The finally take listed on the website is $2,933,197, though a note on Shacknews states that this does not count almost $110K in PayPal pledges, so the final total exceeds $3 million. Update: Apologies for misstating the "kick forward" principle at first, which is a pledge of 5% of the project'a eventual profits, not these pledges. Thanks Alex.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

42. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 21:32 Draugr

JediPunisher wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 16:58:
The difference between all the other Kickstarter campaigns is Brian Fargo is a businessman and he knows how to stretch a dollar.
Yeah, and Iím guessing that to maximize odds for success, Fargo will put all $3M (minus fees and taxes) towards game development to the exclusion of all else, such as advertising, bonus items, etc. When the game nears completion, they can simply approach a publisher, such as Bethesda, and let them pick up the tab for playtesting, advertising, boxing, and distribution in exchange for a cut of retail sales.

Right, because Brian Fargo appears to just be DYING to get in bed with a publisher. I'm going to have to disagree with you on that aspect.

The only retail/box sales this game has will probably be limited to the kickstarter rewards. It'll be all digital.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 21:13 JediPunisher

The difference between all the other Kickstarter campaigns is Brian Fargo is a businessman and he knows how to stretch a dollar.
Yeah, and Iím guessing that to maximize odds for success, Fargo will put all $3M (minus fees and taxes) towards game development to the exclusion of all else, such as advertising, bonus items, etc. When the game nears completion, they can simply approach a publisher, such as Bethesda, and let them pick up the tab for playtesting, advertising, boxing, and distribution in exchange for a cut of retail sales.

40. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 19:34 Silicon Avatar

I'm in. I'm pretty excited about it.  

39. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 18:42 Julio

I'm happy to see it hit the $3 million...looking forward to the mod tools at that tier.

Well worth my buying into Wasteland 2. I never got into the original Wasteland 1, but I'm a big fan of Fallout and turnbased RPGs.

EA and Ubi may not want my cash, but Fargo does...and he deserves some.

38. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 18:37 theyarecomingforyou

It's common sense that you have to be careful which projects you decide to put money into. The decent projects are those where the people in charge are so invested that they're willing to work without a salary, as obviously if it succeeds they can pay themselves from the profits when the game is released digitally / retail (likely making themselves a small fortune if the game's any good).

It's pathetic that a project would spend $3000 on a PR event and $1000 on iPads. If you're developing for iPad then you should buy that out of your own money to prove your commitment to the project, not use crowd-sourced funding as an excuse to fund your hardware - especially for such a small project. As for the rest, they should have probably kept that quiet because they are costs of the actual project - lawyers, music, posters, etc should have been factored in to their budget. And to put out such a snarky comment is only going to piss people off. With the larger projects, like Wasteland 2, you expect some of the money to go on office space and hardware - they wouldn't get very far without it.

I've only put money into two Kickstarters so far - Double Fine and Wasteland 2. Both projects are run by people I'm familiar with and who made commitments to not squander the money. If people want to throw away their money funding vanity projects like Star Command then that's their problem. That project comes across as a complete joke.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

37. Re: What's So Great about Wasteland? Apr 17, 2012, 17:49 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 17:13:
I've been PC gaming since the '80s (Telengard, Ultima III, IV), but I must have missed Wasteland. Why is everyone so stoked on a modern take of this ancient game?

Well, it's not like you can't play it and find out.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/436/Wasteland.html

Also whilst I was perusing around Abandonia I cme across Ascendancy - I still own my original copy - and if you haven't played it, you should because it is awesome too!

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/221/Ascendancy.html

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

36. Re: What's So Great about Wasteland? Apr 17, 2012, 17:33 Dmitri_M

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 17:13:
I've been PC gaming since the '80s (Telengard, Ultima III, IV), but I must have missed Wasteland. Why is everyone so stoked on a modern take of this ancient game?
Fallout was described as the spiritual successor to Wasteland, and Fargo was involved with Fallout's design. I think those that don't remember Wasteland are excited about the Fallout connection..

35. What's So Great about Wasteland? Apr 17, 2012, 17:13 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 17:07 Dev

He's run a business before, he's also proven in the past his willingness to kick in his own money if needed. And he's seen the crazy stuff a publisher does, so he knows what NOT to do.

33. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:58 Mad Max RW

32. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:56 nin

And you know whats even better... if you goto the Star Command website, there's a nice little snippy dialog bubble above the character head:

We have learned this today: everyone would have spent our kickstarter money wiser than we did

Wow. I read that several times and I'm trying not to imagine it with snark. They're the ones who opened the door to begin with...

And yeah, fuck PAX. Pretty sure that's not what people gave them money for.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:50 MacLeod

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:01:
Now, I don't know what these guys promised, but paying for their attorneys, iPads and a fucking trip to PAX East out of their kickstarter funds?? I'd be ROYALLY pissed if that's what they spent my donated money on.

And you know whats even better... if you goto the Star Command website, there's a nice little snippy dialog bubble above the character head:

We have learned this today: everyone would have spent our kickstarter money wiser than we did

Making comments like that will only get people who are annoyed even more so.

30. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:46 Cutter

You live on love, doncha Cres?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

29. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:27 Creston

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 15:46:
If some dev said "Yeah, I'll use this funds to pay for my rent, and my laundry, and my lunches, and my attorney fees, and taking my girlfriend to see a musical", I wouldn't give him a dime.

Yeah but you are doing that. What do you think these guys will be living on while they make the game? Love? Paying for a game means paying salary too. As long as its reasonable no one should have a problem with that.

Since people didn't understand, let me clarify: Obviously funds goes to the people working on the game. What I meant was that if a guy said that's ALL he was spending the funds on, and only a small portion of it was going to the game.

Obviously salaries are getting paid, but those are salaries to his designers and programmers etc. (In fact, Fargo said he'd draw no salary from his kickstarter funds for the entire duration of the project. I assume Weisman will draw a salary.)

I could have made it a bit clearer.

Creston

28. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:05 NKD

Yeah but you are doing that. What do you think these guys will be living on while they make the game? Love? Paying for a game means paying salary too. As long as its reasonable no one should have a problem with that.

Agreed. In fact, I suspect salaries are going to be the bulk of any reasonably sized Kickstarter's budget. (Smaller ones probably don't take a salary out.) Games development doesn't have a huge amount of material cost, obviously. Once you've licensed the software you need, if any, it's really just about paying the employees, the lawyers, and getting your games name out there a bit.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:04 Smellfinger

Looking forward to the inevitable Kickstarter bubble that will be brought about by the inevitable abuse of this system.

If there's one thing modern developers are good at, it's shitting where they eat.

26. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 16:00 Beelzebud

If some dev said "Yeah, I'll use this funds to pay for my rent, and my laundry, and my lunches, and my attorney fees, and taking my girlfriend to see a musical", I wouldn't give him a dime.

ANYWAY.............We can all give ourselves a pat on the back. And I can't wait to get my hands on this mofo!

Yeah I was puzzled by that comment, myself. Are they supposed to live in a van down by the river while they make the game? Paying people is why it takes money to make games. What people do with their earned money is their own damned business!

That being said, Brian Fargo isn't even paying himself out of this money, that's how awesome he is.

25. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 15:46 Cutter

ANYWAY.............We can all give ourselves a pat on the back. And I can't wait to get my hands on this mofo!

24. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 15:42 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 11:20:
Amazon takes a percentage, but I believe it's pretty minor, in the range of 2%-3% or something.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Amazon takes another 5% ...

...but no matter... I was kidding, for the most part. Even with all the stuff I pointed out, I know they got well over 900K to use.

23. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 15:29 jimnms

John wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 13:53:
I'm surprised they got that much too but I'm glad to see they did! I backed at the $50 level because I wanted a physical copy and I like that it comes with a cloth map too.
I backed at the $50 level too. I want the old school box, manual and cloth map, plus you get a digital copy too, so it's two copies of the game. I just hope it's not the same type of "cloth" Bethesda used for the pre-order bonus map of Skyrim.

Steam Profile

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo