Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL

Since Microsoft plans to include Xbox LIVE functionality in Windows 8, Neogamr approached them asking if this meant a possible end to the Games for Windows LIVE service, since there is some obvious overlap between the two. The reply was no, offering the perspective that Age of Empires Online and "Microsoft Flight" are targeted at "the core PC gamer." Here's word:

Answer is no, Microsoft continues to support the Games for Windows platform, but we are making new investments in Metro style games. For the core PC gamer we launched “Age of Empires Online” last year and “Microsoft Flight” on February 29.

When it comes to the living room, Xbox 360 was the number one selling connected TV device in 2011 and we have 40 million Xbox LIVE members. We are committed to delivering extraordinary entertainment experiences across devices in a uniquely connected way. Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 is a milestone in that journey. With the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you’ll get a taste of some of the features we’re bringing with Xbox on Windows, but we’ll have more to share later this year as we get closer to launch.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 19, 2012, 18:08 JohnnyRotten

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 07:04:
Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:21:
Ok wait, your reason for liking Metro is because it shows the ALL PROGRAMS list in the classic XP style?
Does this look like the XP style All Programs list? No, it doesn't. Metro is nothing like the "classic XP style".

Holy crap what a mess

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 19, 2012, 07:04 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:21:
Ok wait, your reason for liking Metro is because it shows the ALL PROGRAMS list in the classic XP style?
Does this look like the XP style All Programs list? No, it doesn't. Metro is nothing like the "classic XP style".

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

63. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 18, 2012, 00:47 Dev

entr0py wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 00:25:
They allowed cross platform play 5 years ago, so it's doable. I think the problem is there's just too huge of an advantage for PC gamers who have better controls, not to mention a higher frame rate and resolution. It caused too much rage.

Though if they limited it to only games where PC gamers don't have a real advantage in controls (3rd person brawlers, fighting games, racing games) that could work.
I doubt its MS standing in the way of cross platform play. All the games I ever heard of that had cross platform either boosted the xbox version (like auto aim) or nerfed the PC version (adding aiming inaccuracy) in order to try and put people on a level playing field (for exactly the control reason you mention).
I think developers decided to mostly give it up.

62. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 18, 2012, 00:25 entr0py

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:00:
gfwl is garbage, if they allowed crossplatform play on it between xbox and pc then at least there be something usefull but no, as it stands its just something i look for games not to require, if they do then its no buy.

They allowed cross platform play 5 years ago, so it's doable. I think the problem is there's just too huge of an advantage for PC gamers who have better controls, not to mention a higher frame rate and resolution. It caused too much rage.

Though if they limited it to only games where PC gamers don't have a real advantage in controls (3rd person brawlers, fighting games, racing games) that could work.

61. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 23:18 ASeven

FU wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:49:
The PC gaming market is all but dead due to piracy, except for the few nitche sectors.

have fun with AoE and MS flight. brrrrrrr <-- airplane noise LMAO your doing

Not sure if troll or just plain stupid.

60. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:59 nin

FU wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 20:27:
business strategy says otherwise

I think Gabe being a billionaire says otherwise... and I'm pretty sure he knows more about it than you do.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

59. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:56 Mashiki Amiketo

FU wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 20:27:
Yeah. Pretty sure you're wrong about that. The last time I saw Gabe he was swimming in cash like Scrooge Mc Duck.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

58. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:33 Orogogus

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:42:
I'm not sure if Blue is saving it for tomorrow or decided against posting it, but according to this:

"On the matter of GFWL, just shy of 20,000 people have now signed a new petition asking for the bloated horror’s removal from the PC version. Nacom told VG247 that GFWL’s inclusion was “still to be decided”, so perhaps there is yet hope they’ll opt for something else."

So keep bitching, people!

I saw that. It's kind of a shitty petition, unfortunately. "Slap in the face" is the kind of language that would make me crumple it up if it were a real letter, and they misspelled deterrent. But mostly I think suggesting that the game will be pirated if it's on GFWL but not if it's on Steam gives the impression that either the petition writers are drooling imbeciles, or else they think Namco Bandai are. Everything that's not an MMO going through an online gateway gets pirated. Suggesting otherwise just damages any attempt at useful discussion.

It also fails to suggest how Steamworks is going to be cheaper than GFWL, which I think is an even bigger question for Namco than selling X number of copies. It's impossible to say for sure how much more or less a game would have sold if only they had done Y, but costs are very real. I hear that the only thing GFWL has to offer is that it makes it easier (i.e., cheaper) to port games from the 360, and given the minimal keyboard/mouse support described in the article, Namco is clearly going for the cheapest option.

I also kind of think that if Namco concedes they'll have a reputation for caving in, and then they'll have to deal with petitions for every pet cause that PC players like to lug around: better KBAM support (inc. rebindings) and menus designed for PCs, FOV, completely-DRM free GOG version, support for deaf gamers, saving anywhere, simultaneous worldwide release, dedicated servers, DLC equality, a more narratively cohesive ending, LAN support, and so on, and so on. I think there was one guy here who wouldn't play games without 3D glasses support.

57. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:27 FU

56. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:24 nin

he knows this already

No, I really don't think he does.

55. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:19 FU

he knows this already

Most of valve games are cross platformers. he now has an online empire on niche games. lol odds and ends

54. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:57 nin

The PC gaming market is all but dead due to piracy, except for the few nitche sectors.

You gonna call Gabe and give him the bad news, or should I?

53. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:49 FU

Gross Profit Margin 76%
Operating Profit Margin 37%
Net Profit Margin 32%
PE 11

Its all about ROI

have fun with AoE and MS flight. brrrrrrr <-- airplane noise LMAO your doing

52. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:42 nin

Orogogus wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:30:
frag.machine wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 18:59:
Iurand wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 11:13:
MajorD wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 10:48:
GFWL has left a lot to be desired since its birth without many improvements along the way. You would think the largest OS developer on the planet would get it right and get a clue from all the negativity from gamers (i.e. Dark Souls petition), but NO, they just keep throwing enough money and attention at it just to keep it afloat without any modifications, changes, or improvements.

Because improving PC gamimg isn't Microsoft goal. Their goal is sell more Xboxes, and every game sold as PC and not Xbox is loss for them. They have to make our experience as miserable as possible, so we would go to promised land and paise them how Xbox Live is so much better than GFWL.

^^^ This. A thousand times. Microsoft is maybe one of the main culprits for the currently sorry state of PC gaming. DIAF, GFWL. You won't be missed.

You would think if Microsoft was actively malicious instead of incompetent and/or apathetic, they would be able to do a lot more to screw gaming on the PC. They control the operating system and DirectX. Presumably the developers want to make money, too, and it's hard to imagine that Namco Bandai went along with a plan to make PCs look bad when it would be a lot easier to just not make their port.

I'm not sure if Blue is saving it for tomorrow or decided against posting it, but according to this:

"On the matter of GFWL, just shy of 20,000 people have now signed a new petition asking for the bloated horror’s removal from the PC version. Nacom told VG247 that GFWL’s inclusion was “still to be decided”, so perhaps there is yet hope they’ll opt for something else."

So keep bitching, people!

51. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:30 Orogogus

frag.machine wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 18:59:
GFWL has left a lot to be desired since its birth without many improvements along the way. You would think the largest OS developer on the planet would get it right and get a clue from all the negativity from gamers (i.e. Dark Souls petition), but NO, they just keep throwing enough money and attention at it just to keep it afloat without any modifications, changes, or improvements.

Because improving PC gamimg isn't Microsoft goal. Their goal is sell more Xboxes, and every game sold as PC and not Xbox is loss for them. They have to make our experience as miserable as possible, so we would go to promised land and paise them how Xbox Live is so much better than GFWL.

^^^ This. A thousand times. Microsoft is maybe one of the main culprits for the currently sorry state of PC gaming. DIAF, GFWL. You won't be missed.

You would think if Microsoft was actively malicious instead of incompetent and/or apathetic, they would be able to do a lot more to screw gaming on the PC. They control the operating system and DirectX. Presumably the developers want to make money, too, and it's hard to imagine that Namco Bandai went along with a plan to make PCs look bad when it would be a lot easier to just not make their port.

50. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:21 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 18:51:
I have to say that I consider Metro to be an improvement, particularly for high resolution monitors. My desktop resolution is 2560x1600 with Metro it will display all of my apps on one screen, whereas in Vista/7 it requires endless scrolling and constant clicking to expand folders.

49. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:09 nin

Yeah. You won't be able to disable Metro, though there are third-party apps already out that add Windows 7 style functionality.

Looks like classic shell already supports 8, according to this.

48. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:00 KilrathiAce

gfwl is garbage, if they allowed crossplatform play on it between xbox and pc then at least there be something usefull but no, as it stands its just something i look for games not to require, if they do then its no buy.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

47. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 18:59 frag.machine

46. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 16:33:
Didn't I hear something about how MS disabled those registry hacks in the latest version since they don't want anyone disabling Metro?
Yeah. You won't be able to disable Metro, though there are third-party apps already out that add Windows 7 style functionality. Having used Windows 8 for several months I have to say that I consider Metro to be an improvement, particularly for high resolution monitors. My desktop resolution is 2560x1600 with Metro it will display all of my apps on one screen, whereas in Vista/7 it requires endless scrolling and constant clicking to expand folders.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo