Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 3 Announced

Following recent clues, EA officially announces Crysis 3, saying the next installment in Crytek's first-person shooter series is due in spring of next year for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. "Crysis 3 is a thrilling mix of sandbox gameplay, advanced combat and hi-tech human and alien weaponry that shooter fans will love," said Cevat Yerli, Chief Executive Officer of Crytek. "Leveraging the latest CryENGINE technology, we’re able to deliver seven unique themes that offer stunning and visually loaded gameplay experiences. We cannot wait until people get their hands on the game." Though still a year off, they already outline three early multiplayer unlocks you can earn by preordering the Crysis 3 Hunter Edition (though the link they provide doesn't lead anywhere yet) as well as additional perks like a nanosuit module and an XP boost. Like Crysis 2, the sequel is set in a future version of New York City, here are some screenshots, and here's word:

Players take on the role of ‘Prophet’ as he returns to New York, only to discover that the city has been encased in a Nanodome created by the corrupt Cell Corporation. The New York City Liberty Dome is a veritable urban rainforest teeming with overgrown trees, dense swamplands and raging rivers. Within the Liberty Dome, seven distinct and treacherous environments become known as the Seven Wonders. This dangerous new world demands advanced weapons and tactics. Prophet will utilize a lethal composite bow, an enhanced Nanosuit and devastating alien tech to become the deadliest hunter on the planet.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

54. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:15 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 12:37:
So apparently a bow is a new weapon in this one. A bow. Against robots/heavily-armored aliens.

My main issue with Crysis was how overpowered the suit made you and from what I've heard, it was even more OP in Crysis 2 (basically gave you infinite invisibility once fully upgraded). They really need to make it more balanced in C3.

To be fair, a tornado can put a pencil through a brick wall. Launched fast enough, an arrow probably could punch a hole through light metal armor. Come up with some nano-handwave bullshit and you're good to go with a man-portable equivalent of a railgun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:15 Verno

As far as how it compares to Far Cry, I wouldn't say Far Cry was better. It's hard for me to say one was better than the other because I felt Far Cry's superior sandbox gameplay outshines Crysis, whereas I found Crysis' story and narrative far more interesting. Far Cry 2 definitely had a great sandbox design (and the most interesting healing system in an FPS), but it fell flat in every other way IMHO.

Yeah definitely, they were very different games in many ways. I liked Far Cry more than Crysis but that's just because I'm a sucker for sandbox stuff. That said Far Cry had plenty of flaws - nonsensical story direction, uneven combat and etc.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

52. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:12 SXO

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:07:
Shineyguy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:42:
Also, I agree with the sentiments here that 2 was abysmal and 1 was great.
Hang on a second, when did the original game become "great"? It had some interesting ideas but it really didn't compare to games like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry. People keep talking about how open Crysis was but most of the time you followed very similar routes and the narrative was still very linear. Far Cry 2 - which came out a year later - achieved a much more convincing open world, with gameplay that was also less linear.

Crysis 2 had a much better narrative and although the levels were smaller I felt they were better designed to allow different approaches. Just look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the levels were obviously much smaller than Crysis but there was much more scope for how you could approach them. Crysis 2 wasn't a great game but in my opinion it was better than the original.
I very respectfully disagree. I personally consider Crysis a "great" game, easily in my top 10 best FPS experiences. While it may not be quite the caliber of either HL or HL2, it definitely had me hooked and provided a few awe-inspiring moments. In the interest of full disclosure I'll admit I'm one of the small minority that even enjoyed the last bit of the game with the aliens.

As far as how it compares to Far Cry, I wouldn't say Far Cry was better. It's hard for me to say one was better than the other because I felt Far Cry's superior sandbox gameplay outshines Crysis, whereas I found Crysis' story and narrative far more interesting. Far Cry 2 definitely had a great sandbox design (and the most interesting healing system in an FPS), but it fell flat in every other way IMHO.

Now I'll admit I never sat down and played Crysis 2 myself, but in watching others play it I found it was not as "on-rails" as many claim it to be. Even so, it's definitely not a true sandbox game, more like small sandbox bubbles linked together in linear fashion. But admittedly this is the same exact thing Crysis does, just in grander scale so it doesn't quite feel as linear. But I would argue Warhead was closer in style to Crysis 2 than people seem to realize. My biggest beefs with Crysis 2 are its change of environment and plot (this was not the originally planned sequel), environments that felt less dynamic than Crysis, scripted events that felt far more artificial than the scripted events of Crysis, excessive hand-holding, and most importantly a storyline that I felt was cheesy and weak. I would've added inferior graphics to that list, but the DX11 patch put it at least on par with a stock Crysis. Although with mods, Crysis still beats anything out there.

51. Re: Ignored Apr 16, 2012, 15:12 Beamer

For some reason I feel like I recently played a game with explosive arrows as a weapon.
Or watched a movie with them.

No clue what or why, but I have this vague notion of it and have had it since before seeing The Hunger Games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:09 Krovven

Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:01:
Wait we're so brain damaged we're remembering Far Cry 2 fondly now?

FC2 mission structure, buddies and overall story sucked, but that's not what he was comparing with Crysis.

FC2 did succeed at having an actual open world with excellent combat. It's just too bad the content in that open world was boring as hell.

49. Re: Ignored Apr 16, 2012, 15:08 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:02:
Shocker, Verno trying to tell me I'm wrong. What else is new? Focusing on my use of "everyone" as his basis for contradiction. Are you fucking that retarded and lonely? "Everyone" is common exaggeration. Would you prefer that I said "Many" or "Quite a few", what would you use then to contradict what I say? Hack.

Hahaha, what a surprise, a petulant tantrum and some personal insults from little Krovven. I shouldn't be surprised, that is pretty much all you do to people around here. How dare I have the nerve to...disagree with you about what the general feedback on Crytek games is! Yes when you make vague assertions people might actually disagree with them. It's not a personal affront to disagree with Krovven The Mighty Loudmouth. Stop being such a whiny baby, you do enough wannabe ebullying around here as it is.

The bow looks absurd and out of place in the setting, its pretty much indefensible but if you want to RP Legolas then its your $60, whatever

When we have more to go on then I'm sure myself (and the many others who commented about it) will talk about that too.

Oh and I'm ignoring your ignore champ Gossip

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2012, 15:36.

48. Re: Ignored Apr 16, 2012, 15:02 Krovven

Shocker, Verno trying to tell me I'm wrong. What else is new? Focusing on my use of "everyone" as his basis for contradiction. Are you fucking that retarded and lonely? "Everyone" is common exaggeration. Would you prefer that I said "Many" or "Quite a few", what would you use then to contradict what I say? Hack.

The best feedback Verno can come up with is "A composite bow? Hahaha get the fuck out of here". I suppose the same silenced weapons with nothing new added is what you'd prefer. Quite frankly I think the imagery with the bow looks pretty slick, which is exactly what it's supposed to achieve. But hey, be the child you are and rag on a couple screens with a bow.

Wish I hadn't bothered to click to view the blocked users comments.

47. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:01 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:07:
Hang on a second, when did the original game become "great"? It had some interesting ideas but it really didn't compare to games like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry. People keep talking about how open Crysis was but most of the time you followed very similar routes and the narrative was still very linear. Far Cry 2 - which came out a year later - achieved a much more convincing open world, with gameplay that was also less linear.

Wait we're so brain damaged we're remembering Far Cry 2 fondly now?

The game where enemy AI would spawn in *in front of you* and if you cleared a crossroad and walked 20 feet away and came back they respawned? The game where the AI had magical weapon maintenance fields that gave them perfect accuracy at around half a mile yet as soon as they dropped their weapon it became an inaccurate, jam-prone POS? The game where it took forever to get anywhere because you had a firefight every 12 seconds? The game where the AI was so sloppy when you were allied with a faction for a mission their dudes would *still* shoot you immediately on sight?

There were some cool concepts to FC2, but the game was a piece of shit. To this day it's the only game I've ever traded in it was so terrible.

Edit: If foliage and plant life can't block enemies line of sight, then I don't want to play in a fucking forest or jungle or whatever. At least I could hide behind a fucking bush in Crysis, unlike FC or FC2. I remember hiding behind a boulder in FC2 and a patrol pulled up, got out, and homed in on me. Apparently even level geometry didn't always block line of sight for your enemies, but it sure as hell blocked *your* line of sight.

46. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:57 ASeven

Iurand wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:48:
ASeven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:09:
Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 12:49:
They're balancing it out by giving you a high tech...bow. I have no idea how they thought this would be met with anything but derision.

It could be this bow Verno.

Don't forget that arrows are also important.

I will buy Crysis 3 sight unseen if it includes chicken arrows!

45. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:42 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:04:
It's funny, after Far Cry, everyone pissed on that game for it's ending, being too hard, etc. Then everyone pissed on Crysis claiming it sucked (I hated the sperm aliens, otherwise game was good) and Far Cry was so much better. Now people are saying Crysis 2 sucked and Crysis was so much better...

Nah I don't recall "everyone" saying that, far from it. Most of the feedback I recall about Far Cry was that it was an excellent game up to the trigens or whatever they were called. Crysis was mostly the same story, great game up until the aliens and it went kinda downhill from there. This is pretty much reflected in most critical and non-trolling user reviews as well.

Crysis 2 didn't suck but it wasn't exactly great either. The best word I can use to describe it is competent. I really liked the AI in it, I think that's the highest praise I have for it. They did make it look pretty spiffy on the consoles as well.

I think a lot of the negative bashing Crytek gets is largely based in their comments about piracy and whatnot. Whether that's deserved or not is really just anyones opinion.

44. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:08 theyarecomingforyou

Krovven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:04:
It's funny, after Far Cry, everyone pissed on that game for it's ending, being too hard, etc. Then everyone pissed on Crysis claiming it sucked (I hated the sperm aliens, otherwise game was good) and Far Cry was so much better. Now people are saying Crysis 2 sucked and Crysis was so much better...

I really like Crysis 2. While it wasn't a large open world, it didn't need to be and quite frankly neither was Crysis or Far Cry. Those games just succeeded at making it feel like an open world. In Crysis 2, enemies were more interesting and the environment was far more fun to play in than yet another jungle. Every area in C2 had multiple pathways and combat could be engaged in any number of ways.
+1

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

43. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:07 theyarecomingforyou

Crysis 2 had a much better narrative and although the levels were smaller I felt they were better designed to allow different approaches. Just look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the levels were obviously much smaller than Crysis but there was much more scope for how you could approach them. Crysis 2 wasn't a great game but in my opinion it was better than the original.

42. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:05 Fion

Taking bets on whether it will still look worse than Crysis! Anyone want to tag that one? Five years old and still blowing away the graphics of every single consolized shooter!

Oh and maybe, just maybe they could actually make the game open this time instead of 'square block - corridor - square block - corridor'.

41. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 14:04 Krovven

I really like Crysis 2. While it wasn't a large open world, it didn't need to be and quite frankly neither was Crysis or Far Cry. Those games just succeeded at making it feel like an open world. In Crysis 2, enemies were more interesting and the environment was far more fun to play in than yet another jungle. Every area in C2 had multiple pathways and combat could be engaged in any number of ways.

As for Crysis 3, New York with forest taking back the land sounds and looks very appealing. Depending on when it comes out is the main factor on whether I'll buy it at launch or not. But I highly doubt I will pay full price this time around.

40. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:48 Iurand

ASeven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:09:
They're balancing it out by giving you a high tech...bow. I have no idea how they thought this would be met with anything but derision.

Don't forget that arrows are also important.

39. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:42 Shineyguy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:32:
Surely the only reason they'd include a bow would be to create a new meme to replace "arrow in the knee"? It's ridiculous from a gameplay perspective.

I'd be upset about them including a bow in this game, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

Also, I agree with the sentiments here that 2 was abysmal and 1 was great. One of the things that kept me coming back to Crytek games was the huge open world about them (for the most part). Now that we don't have that I didn't play Crysis 2 at all except for the MP Demo way back when.

38. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:35 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:32:
Surely the only reason they'd include a bow would be to create a new meme to replace "arrow in the knee"? It's ridiculous from a gameplay perspective.

Game of Thrones had an arrow to the knee last night.
I laughed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:32 theyarecomingforyou

36. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:25 Alamar

Jackplug wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 12:00:
...amazing gfx but no gameplay.

Isn't that the definition of FPS? : )

-Alamar

35. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:09 ASeven

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo