Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play

A new Electronic Arts Account Suspension Policy indicates that being forum-banned from EA's Origin service will no longer result in being prevented from playing single-player games (thanks Blend Games). Here's word:

If you find yourself with a disabled account, please note that you can still play EA games in single-player mode. For PC games you will need to enable Origin's offline mode to play games with a disabled account. Go to the settings tab in Origin (the gear icon) and select Go Offline.

If your account has been disabled, please follow the instructions in this article if you wish to appeal the action.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Your story is bullshit. Apr 18, 2012, 13:00 IMAPC

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:50:
The last time I bought a Battlefield game from EA, they locked me out of it for 2 years saying that my CD Key was invalid, (Dice finally patched out the DRM after 2 years
Your story is bullshit. The patch to BF2142 which removed the DRM only removed the SecuROM DRM which required the DVD-ROM to play the game. The CD key requirement remained intact and is unrelated. If your CD Key truely became invalid, it would still be invalid after the patch that removed SecuROM as the two have nothing to do with one another.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 18, 2012, 08:51 Verno

I wasn't asking you to trust them with your money. I wasn't even suggesting you buy the games. I was suggesting that your comment that you weren't "missing out" on them was incorrect. You used the phrase in such a way as to dismiss them as being not worth playing:
"If that means I never play BF3 or ME3, then so be it. From what I've read, I'm not missing anything worth worrying about. "
I was simply correcting you on that point - the games are worth worrying about. Or, more specifically, worth playing. If you still have objections to Origin, or you are still wary of them after the troubles you went through, fine, those are valid reasons to not want to buy them. But those reasons are fine on their own, dismissing the games as not "worth" it is just wrong. The games themselves are (mostly) great.

There is nothing wrong with his attitude, he can say they aren't worth the hassle and so be it. That's really his gain or loss, there is nothing wrong with the rationale as its inherently subjective. For whatever reason the games aren't appealing, telling him they're great and hes missing out is just a sideways way of saying that you like these games and don't get why he won't give them a chance.

There are a lot of games other people might consider worthwhile that I never bothered with because of problems surrounding the release or the company behind the product. It wasn't worth the hassle or time considering as you pointed out all gaming is supposed to be a leisure activity.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 20:13 Beelzebud

I don't see the disconnect. FOR ME PERSONALLY I WILL NOT BE MISSING OUT BY NOT PLAYING THOSE TWO GAMES!

Is that clear enough for you? No game is essential, therefore my life goes on if I don't play these two games. You may look at it differently, and you're free to do so, but stop trying to correct my opinion.

I know how I feel about things, and I know I won't be missing out on these two games.

38. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 15:28 Bhruic

It's not an idiotic attitude, unless you jump to conclusions like you just did

It is idiotic, and you don't have to jump to any conclusions to realize that, you just have to read what you said:
"They are not essentials of life, or replacements for life experiences."
No game is an essential of life, and no game is a replacement for life experience. Using those two factors as the criteria for "missing out" on a game is just plain stupid.

The last time I bought a Battlefield game from EA, they locked me out of it for 2 years saying that my CD Key was invalid, (Dice finally patched out the DRM after 2 years, but by that time I no longer gave a shit) so forgive me if I don't trust them with my hard earned cash again.

I wasn't asking you to trust them with your money. I wasn't even suggesting you buy the games. I was suggesting that your comment that you weren't "missing out" on them was incorrect. You used the phrase in such a way as to dismiss them as being not worth playing:
"If that means I never play BF3 or ME3, then so be it. From what I've read, I'm not missing anything worth worrying about. "
I was simply correcting you on that point - the games are worth worrying about. Or, more specifically, worth playing. If you still have objections to Origin, or you are still wary of them after the troubles you went through, fine, those are valid reasons to not want to buy them. But those reasons are fine on their own, dismissing the games as not "worth" it is just wrong. The games themselves are (mostly) great.

37. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 14:50 Beelzebud

Bhruic wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 20:03:
Ok, sure, if you want to take that idiotic attitude. From that perspective, you wouldn't miss anything if you were never to play a single game ever again. Fine, that might be true. But on a game forum, it's rather expected that we (shock!) have people interested in playing games. And from that perspective, BF3 and ME3 are two very good ones. If you like playing games, and you like playing good games, then yes, you are missing out by skipping them.

It's not an idiotic attitude, unless you jump to conclusions like you just did. Missing out on two games from Origin is nothing, and says nothing about how much of a "real" gamer I am.

The last time I bought a Battlefield game from EA, they locked me out of it for 2 years saying that my CD Key was invalid, (Dice finally patched out the DRM after 2 years, but by that time I no longer gave a shit) so forgive me if I don't trust them with my hard earned cash again.

There are literally hundreds of games that have came out in the past 12 months, my gaming hobby will be fine.

36. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 09:20 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 00:51:
But acting like they aren't good games anyway, so you're not missing out on them is kinda silly. They are good games. And you are missing out. That's still true even if you have plenty of other good games to play.

Eh good games is pretty subjective so I don't really think we can say they are missing out on anything, willfully or otherwise. I don't really see it as people acting like they are terrible games, just that they have plenty of other games to play so they don't need to care about exclusives.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

35. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 00:51 Bhruic

Not really, it's a crowded market with many high quality games to play and not enough time to do so. EA isn't the only game in town, they just happen to market more than most.

That's just dodging the point. If you've got an objection to Origin that precludes you from picking up games that require it, that's your decision. I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying ME3/BF3. But acting like they aren't good games anyway, so you're not missing out on them is kinda silly. They are good games. And you are missing out. That's still true even if you have plenty of other good games to play.

34. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 00:07 Steele Johnson

No Origin for me. I do not trust that company at all.  

33. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 23:21 Tanto Edge

qft.
Nice to see EA is no longer going to steal your games from you if you piss them (or one of their moderators) off.

Dades wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 22:18:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 19:35:
So if you want to avoid Origin games, that's your perogative, but you are definitely missing out.

Not really, it's a crowded market with many high quality games to play and not enough time to do so. EA isn't the only game in town, they just happen to market more than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

32. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 22:18 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 19:35:
So if you want to avoid Origin games, that's your perogative, but you are definitely missing out.

31. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 22:06 Dev

Drezden wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 17:45:
What kind of moron goes to a forum and says shit that is going to get him banned in the first place.

I find this highly illogical. Especially if you have money invested.
And would you expect the word "epeen" to get you a lifetime ban, especially if its not filtered? Because thats one of the bans EA did.

30. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 20:24 Smellfinger

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 19:49:
No I'm not. They're just games. They are not essentials of life, or replacements for life experiences. My life will still be complete having never played either of those games.

Unless you're in love with the fetid diarrhea that passes for triple A gaming these days, you aren't missing anything. I don't even call it boycotting anymore. It's more like not stepping in shit.

29. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 20:03 Bhruic

Ok, sure, if you want to take that idiotic attitude. From that perspective, you wouldn't miss anything if you were never to play a single game ever again. Fine, that might be true. But on a game forum, it's rather expected that we (shock!) have people interested in playing games. And from that perspective, BF3 and ME3 are two very good ones. If you like playing games, and you like playing good games, then yes, you are missing out by skipping them.  

28. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 19:49 Beelzebud

No I'm not. They're just games. They are not essentials of life, or replacements for life experiences. My life will still be complete having never played either of those games.  

27. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 19:35 Bhruic

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:52:
Shok wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:42:
April 2012 and I'm still Origin free. I'll consider playing a game that uses Origin in 5 years when it's DRM free on GoG.

Same here. I will never use it. If that means I never play BF3 or ME3, then so be it. From what I've read, I'm not missing anything worth worrying about.

Not sure what you've been reading then. ME3 has been given almost universal praise for the first 95% of the game. The ending absolutely sucks, but the rest of the game is great.

BF3 is also a lot of fun. DICE has done some of their typical "patch fuck-ups", and there's still cheats that make it through, but overlooking those, it's an enjoyable game. And looks damn impressive.

I'm not going to defend EA, if they are doing stupid shit, well, they deserve what they get. But there's been plenty of stories of individuals getting full Steam bans too, but people haven't lept to the "Steam is evil" conclusion. Yeah, I know, Valve has a better reputation, but they still do similar things (remember the guy who got a full account ban for 'gifting' too many games)? A few isolated incidences aren't enough to make me assume the platform as a whole is that bad. And my personal experiences with it have been fine.

26. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 19:25 Beelzebud

nin wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 16:26:
avianflu wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 16:21:
the bottomline is that the draconian threat of "perma account banning" makes game consumers less likely to ever post in the related forum. Not worth the risk to one's paid-for game library.

And I'm sure EA's perfectly fine with that. Once they have your money, they don't give a fuck.

Back when Origin was still the EA Downloader, I bought Battlefield 2142 on it. I played that game for two weeks straight until I went to log in one day, and it said I had an invalid CD key. I tried their support email, and even called their support hotline on the phone, with no results. It was always some other department's problem.

I wasn't able to play the game I paid 45.00 for for nearly two years until Dice put out that last patch for it that removed the DRM. By that time I didn't give a shit about Battlefield, Dice, or EA.

They straight up ripped me off.

25. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 19:10 Saboth

Well that's nice. I'm still not buying any game requiring Origin. One day these corporations will realize the customer is right. When I buy a game, I buy a game. I don't buy a favor to be allowed to play your game. You might attempt to change the industry with your EULA contracts and mediation and all that, but no one says I have to participate. So...keep forcing people to sign contracts and ramming your spyware bloatware down their throats, and revoking their "privilege" to play your games...it's your prerogative. Just like it's mine not to install Origin or buy your products. Takes 2 to tango.  

24. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 18:35 nin

Drezden wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 17:45:
What kind of moron goes to a forum and says shit that is going to get him banned in the first place.

Maybe you should read up on why they were banned?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 18:13 Dwarf-Snowninja

It would depend on the nature of the infraction, but as I don't have access to the forum rules at hand... either way, still draconian as hell.  

22. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 17:45 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo