Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's weekly report of the ten bestselling titles on Steam:

1. Legend of Grimrock
  2. Wargame: European Escalation
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Max Payne 3
  5. Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  7. Might & Magic Heroes VI
  8. Sniper Elite
  9. Age of Empires Online
  10. Left 4 Dead 2

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 16:37 Dev

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:16:
didn't notice one character took a beating while the others were healthy and he died. Not knowing if/how you revive someone I just let the rest of the party died.

The combat is incredibly boring to me.
Yes you can (spoiler if you haven't finished first level): just touch the heal crystal on every map, it also revives any dead party members

If you hate the combat portion, play it on easy mode, then combat is much easier.
PHJF wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 16:10:
Just got down on level ten, myself. I was down on level nine when I found out I needed two rocks for something, and of course I only had one rock on me... which led to me having to run back to level two to find another rock... but it's all good.
I'm fairly sure for most areas (like pressure plates or if you have to throw something), you don't have to use a rock, but you can use a torch or a range of other objects. Maybe that was a particular puzzle though, in which case thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I have 2 rocks before lvl 9

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 16:29 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:16:
but didn't notice one character took a beating while the others were healthy and he died. Not knowing if/how you revive someone I just let the rest of the party died.

I'd suggest watching some gameplay videos (not of the first few levels) to see how best to play the combat. It's not a slow game, nor is it turn based.

You can't just stand toe to toe and not expect to die. You opening a door to engage enemies can open secret doors allowing those enemies to flank you. Enemies have AE spells (just as you do) that will dmg your whole party. If you stand in the poison cloud from Mushroom guys, your party will die in seconds. Simple as that.

Prime your first spell, Move quickly, Attack on the move, and Use the environment to your advantage. Make enemies fall down traps (then jump on top of them), use doors and choke points to funnel single enemies into combat, etc.

Save often.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2012, 19:39.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 16:10 PHJF

Just got down on level ten, myself. I was down on level nine when I found out I needed two rocks for something, and of course I only had one rock on me... which led to me having to run back to level two to find another rock... but it's all good. I've got my mage wearing the 25% bonus XP necklace and I give him all the skill books I find, so he is a mad lightning bolt and fireball slingin mother fucker. Damn ogres don't stand a chance.

I'd say the toughest parts are early on when you are still worrying about food/torches. Later on you get a light spell (assuming you have a mage) and farmable food.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 16:08 Krovven

Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:02:
I'm also looking for secrets everywhere and even backtracking if need be

Came across a room I couldnt get into in a pit on level 5 (dropped from lvl 4) that I could see a Heavy Chest Plate in. Puzzled me forever, cleared all of lvl 4 but not that room. I finally caved and looked it up...turns out you access this room from level 6.

Started Level 5 last night, and have about 10 hrs on this playthrough so far. The rest of my time shown on Steam is another playthrough I started and most of the remaining time is idle time from being busy with RL stuff.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 15:16 Beamer

I'm struggling with LoG. Put in maybe half an hour, each play ending at the mushroom people. First time I didn't have the spell and rushed in, anyway, second time I was more careful but didn't notice one character took a beating while the others were healthy and he died. Not knowing if/how you revive someone I just let the rest of the party died.

The combat is incredibly boring to me. I know it's not far off from Skyrim's, but I'm finding the combat distracting, and haven't found anything else to make me overlook that. Sure, I'm still more or less in the tutorial part so of course I'm not finding much else, but my hatred of the combat combined with not even an inking of anything else to do has made me find other things to do with my time.

I'll go back to it this weekend, hopefully.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 15:02 Dev

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 08:45:
Lol bats....

Anyways. Really enjoying Legend of Grimrock although at one point in level3 I nearly gave up. The game is UBER GRUBER HARD. Im playing on 'normal' difficulty. Fuck those spiders are damn hard...

Also I seem to have run out of food now at the beginnig of level 4, at least one person out of four is in starvation mode at all times. I blame this on the damn spiders on level3 and the huge ammount of time I spend looking for secrets....

Liking the Fourth level way more than the previous one....
I'm also looking for secrets everywhere and even backtracking if need be, and I have one entire guy's inventory full of food. I agree, those spiders can be annoying. I decided to play my first game on easy though, and I glad I am. Its not uber hard on easy
BTW, remember that its ok if one or two in the party dies, just make it back to a crystal. Slight spoiler if you haven't played the game.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 09:48 Omni

Legend of Grimrock is fucking amazing 'simple' small game full of potential.  

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 08:45 InBlack

Lol bats....

Anyways. Really enjoying Legend of Grimrock although at one point in level3 I nearly gave up. The game is UBER GRUBER HARD. Im playing on 'normal' difficulty. Fuck those spiders are damn hard...

Also I seem to have run out of food now at the beginnig of level 4, at least one person out of four is in starvation mode at all times. I blame this on the damn spiders on level3 and the huge ammount of time I spend looking for secrets....

Liking the Fourth level way more than the previous one....

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 01:07 xXBatmanXx

Proudfoot wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 21:10:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 20:34:
ASeven wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 15:45:
I haven't felt addicted to a game as much as to Grimrock in a long, long while. Forgot how sweet the DM-type of gameplay is.

Can't wait for user content to start flooding. If they can recreate the Wizardrys, DM and the 3 EotBs then there will be enough gaming material here to last for several months.

Did you play Skyrim? Cause damn......

Not sure where you're going with this, but the 'content' for Skyrim hasn't been very ... content-y. Naked chics, armor for naked chics, over-sized naked chics, over-sized weapons, and a buttload of texture mods.

The few 'quest' mods I've tried were ok, some crash repeatedly.

Skyrim seems, to me, to be alot smaller than Oblivion was. With 2 playthroughs, one rogue/backstabber (who can barely kill a dragon) and one warrior 1h/shield, I've covered the map. Sure I may have missed a few pot holes of mobs...

Anyway I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been fairly disappointed at the Skyrim mods. I use both Nexus and Workshop to browse/add/play.
'
um, yea no shit a backstabber couldn't kill a dragon. Try a warrior, mage, knight, archer, etc style. Why would you ever think a backstabber would be able to kill a dragon!? Really?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 00:53 Orogogus

I haven't felt addicted to a game as much as to Grimrock in a long, long while. Forgot how sweet the DM-type of gameplay is.

Can't wait for user content to start flooding. If they can recreate the Wizardrys, DM and the 3 EotBs then there will be enough gaming material here to last for several months.

The Wizardry games aren't the same thing. The levels weren't designed to give any room for dancing around, and shrinking down the monster groups to fit into an EotB style game would make it not really the same game at all; there are spells to hit one enemy group and other spells to hit all the groups you're fighting. Also, given the limitations of the technology they didn't have any secret doors where you pushed a button, either. The whole series seems like it would be a rather awkward fit.

Eye of the Beholder III was the same kind of game, but it was kind of garbage. Worst entry in the genre, as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't enjoy Stonekeep much, either, but it's another one in the same mold. The Lands of Lore games were better, but my favorite is still Eye of the Beholder 2.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 22:19 ForgedReality

Not sure where you're going with this, but the 'content' for Skyrim hasn't been very ... content-y. Naked chics, armor for naked chics, over-sized naked chics, over-sized weapons, and a buttload of texture mods.

Skyrim seems, to me, to be alot smaller than Oblivion was. With 2 playthroughs, one rogue/backstabber (who can barely kill a dragon) and one warrior 1h/shield, I've covered the map. Sure I may have missed a few pot holes of mobs...

Anyway I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been fairly disappointed at the Skyrim mods. I use both Nexus and Workshop to browse/add/play.
Two playthroughs? Good lord. You're obviously just blazing through without actually attempting to appreciate the game. You're not a completionist like I am. I think I'm about halfway through my FIRST playthrough, with about 200 hours sunk into it... And I'm still constantly finding new shit. Oblivion didn't keep my interest anywhere near as well as Skyrim does. I didn't even finish Oblivion.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 22:14 Creston

The thing is that it takes a LONG time for the really good mods to come out. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul didn't hit the big time until 1.3, and that came out nearly 1.5 years after Oblivion was released. Same with Mart's Monster Mod, Francesco's, and God forbid, Convergence.

Also, after making the same mod for essentially two or three games in a row, I've noticed a lot of the old guys have gotten a bit tired and fed up with it. A lot of the top modders seem to have either left the community, or are just taking it easy and lurking.

So give it some time. There's some cool stuff being worked on.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 22:11 Creston

Teddy wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 20:15:
Can't speak for anyone else, but mine still works fine. Just tested by disabling my NIC and tried several games. SP only games didn't even mention that I'd gone offline, Skyrim told me that it couldn't connect for a cloud sync and warned me that I wouldn't be able to use progress from another system, but it still ran fine when I said 'okay'. It swapped from online to offline through the manual switch fine, and halted (as expected) when trying to swap back online manually before I enabled my NIC again.

Anyways, point is, it's definitely not some sort of policy change. It has to be a bug or something interfering with it.

Thanks for testing it, Teddy.

I still need to try Jim's suggestions.

Creston

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 21:46 ASeven

I enjoyed Skyrim but to be honest I thought the RPG mechanics were too simple and the exploration was boring me, then again I had 100 hours on it. I'm one of the rare people who thought Skyrim was so-so, neither good nor bad.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 21:40 jimnms

Creston wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 16:57:
It had been online previously. It used to be that it would be online, my internet would die, Steam would notice this, I'd click "Go offline", and it'd just go offline.

Now it seems you can only switch it manually anymore, not on-the-cuff as you used to, which is bullshit. Tried it on several computers, they all have the same issue.

Creston

My connection goes flaky from time to time, going down for a few minutes to a few hours. I leave Steam online and it notices when the connection goes down, but when it comes back up it re-connects. It even keeps track of achievements and gives me credit for them when it re-connects.

I've never tried switching offline while steam was running online and my internet connection went down, but I've been able to start it in offline mode when the connection was down.

Steam Profile

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 21:10 Proudfoot

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 20:34 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 20:15 Teddy

Creston wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 14:37:
Has anyone else had problems with Offline mode lately? When my internet went down again, I tried putting Steam in offline mode, and the stupid thing said that "This operation cannot be completed in offline mode."

What, you mean turning ON offline mode? WTF?

Looking at Steam's support forum, it seems tons of people have the same issue, and of course Valve has yet to respond to a single one of the threads opened on the topic...

I'm just going to run it offline all the time, I guess. What's the point of offline mode if it doesn't fucking work when you need it??

Creston

Can't speak for anyone else, but mine still works fine. Just tested by disabling my NIC and tried several games. SP only games didn't even mention that I'd gone offline, Skyrim told me that it couldn't connect for a cloud sync and warned me that I wouldn't be able to use progress from another system, but it still ran fine when I said 'okay'. It swapped from online to offline through the manual switch fine, and halted (as expected) when trying to swap back online manually before I enabled my NIC again.

Anyways, point is, it's definitely not some sort of policy change. It has to be a bug or something interfering with it.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 19:56 Dev

Prez wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 18:04:
I'm just going to run it offline all the time, I guess. What's the point of offline mode if it doesn't fucking work when you need it??

I used to leave Steam online all the time, and my frustrations were identical to yours. Like you, I find it's preferable to leave it in offline mode and only go online when I need to, like when I'm playing Left 4 Dead or updating a game. Ideally offline mode would just work, but doing it this way ensures that your access to your games doesn't depend on your internet connectivity.
Its probably because valve has issues with properly testing stuff, and fixing it. They've had issues with that for years. Whenever they release a new ported map for L4D2, the very first playthrough I find all sorts of very obvious problems. Plus, if you look at some of the changelogs for L4D2 (especially the first couple after a map port) some of the fixes are funny as in "did you guys bother to do any testing at all" funny.

I imagine with offline mode, they figure correctly that most people will play online, and so don't make it very robust. That kinda stuff probably isn't that interesting to valve employees.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2012, 20:47.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 18:45 Dmitri_M

Zoom wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 17:21:
Wargame: European Escalation is a surprise too, thought this kind of game was reserved to an obscure subgroup of wargamers...

I'm not surprised at all, it's a really well made PC RTS.
The game's generic name really doesn't do it justice.

It's made by the same guys who made Ruse. Same engine modified for W:EE, this time without Ubisoft's meddling they were able to create a proper fun PC RTS not weirdly dumbed down like the aforementioned Ruse.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo