Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm feeling that much better since my cold, but it has killed my appetite for most of this week, and it's still not right. I guess that's one way to get one's beach body (yeah right) back for the summer, but it's left me a little weakened. I was hoping to fire up the first steaks on my new grill today, but while that would certainly be a good way to restore some of that lost vigor if I could eat it, I'm worried I'll just end up picking at it, so I think I should just hold off on that.

Hungry Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Sichiken.
Links: Great Philosophers Who Failed at Love
The 10 Worst Jobs of 2012. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Yachting team uses staple-gun to fix up slashed sailor, completes race.
William Boyd to pen new Bond novel set in late 1960s.
Science: Researcher Says A Bit Of Beer May Help Creative Problem-Solving.
Manipulating memory to treat addiction.
Traditional Chinese Medicines Linked to Cancer.
Media: Assassin's Creed Bloopers.
Smash Brothers Brawl Lyrics Interpreted.
Kids of Today vs 1980's Technology.
Squirrel Adopted by Cat Learns to Purr.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 20:46 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 20:45:
Frans wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 17:32:
Having the exact same design since, I dunno, 2001-2002 is simply due to nobody putting any effort into making a new one. ;)

Don't discount us cranky old PC gamers! Blue has polled before and most have been resistant to change. I love this design, maximum readability and little clutter. Nice and simple (on the frontend at least).

So great job Frans and Bagpuss!
And fast! Even for dial-upers assuming they block the annoying bloated ads.!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 20:45 Sepharo

Having the exact same design since, I dunno, 2001-2002 is simply due to nobody putting any effort into making a new one. ;)

Don't discount us cranky old PC gamers! Blue has polled before and most have been resistant to change. I love this design, maximum readability and little clutter. Nice and simple (on the frontend at least).

So great job Frans and Bagpuss!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 17:34 Ant

Ant wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 11:41:
I am surprised BN is still using the same design and hasn't been hacked.
Having the exact same design since, I dunno, 2001-2002 is simply due to nobody putting any effort into making a new one.

As for not being hacked, that's not due to lack of trying: scanners and poking scripts drive by on an almost daily basis. But the advantage of fully custom Perl CGI scripts (for both the forums and the Blammo news/articles/etc scripts) is that the usual approaches and attempts at SQL injection and whatnot aren't working, partly because our scripts are different from all the usual CMSes. And basic sysadmin practices also help. Nevertheless, a hack can never be fully ruled out, I suppose, so fingers crossed it won't happen for another long time.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 17:32  Frans 

Ant wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 11:41:
Having the exact same design since, I dunno, 2001-2002 is simply due to nobody putting any effort into making a new one.

As for not being hacked, that's not due to lack of trying: scanners and poking scripts drive by on an almost daily basis. But the advantage of fully custom Perl CGI scripts (for both the forums and the Blammo news/articles/etc scripts) is that the usual approaches and attempts at SQL injection and whatnot aren't working, partly because our scripts are different from all the usual CMSes. And basic sysadmin practices also help. Nevertheless, a hack can never be fully ruled out, I suppose, so fingers crossed it won't happen for another long time.

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 17:16  Frans 

Bagpuss wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 20:53:
Super impressed that my code for running these forums is still working and here 11 years later, and with the now ridiculous number of posts they're handling.
[...]
Oh yea, and I'd love to know what Frans had to do to make them still do so!
Hehe, it's been a long time since I worked on them, but I don't recall I had to fix a lot of stuff. Most of my work on the board code entailed new functionality.

Just wanted to say that and hello to anyone who can remember back that far!
Sure do, and hello back to you (if you still read this - I don't check the forums on a daily basis anymore, hence the late follow-up).

-- Frans

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2012, 11:41 Ant

Super impressed that my code for running these forums is still working and here 11 years later, and with the now ridiculous number of posts they're handling.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 23:12 xXBatmanXx

Wow. Blasst from the past!@ I thin kwe still have that bluesnews charbear site up for a backup if we ever have a catastrophic outage again. I check it once in a while, but its been a number of months.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 23:08 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 18:40:
Hoop wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 16:47:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!

Creston

heheheh ITS LIKE YOU ARE IN MY HEAD MAN!!!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 22:04 Creston

Vaguely. Hey, man.

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 21:17 eRe4s3r

All praise he who is responsible the most miserable disgruntled bag of gamers can freely post on bluesnews ;p  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 20:55  Bagpuss 

Oh yea, and I'd love to know what Frans had to do to make them still do so!  
- Bagpuss
http://richardsmith.me/

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 20:53  Bagpuss 

- Bagpuss
http://richardsmith.me/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 19:37 Mashiki Amiketo

... because I don't think I can ever eat a normal brat again.

Try to find a european delicatessen(though the old fellow is german, and his wife is dutch), the one that's in my home town back east makes their own reindeer, elk and moose brats. Damned tasty.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 18:54 Cutter

For all you Brat lovers...

I was in Denver the past week, and I had an elk brat and a reindeer brat. Now, I hate that in this current generation, everything that's cool is automatically "OMG TEH BEST EVER!" It's used way, way, WAAAAAY too much.

That said, the elk and reindeer brats are undoubtedly the best brats I have ever had in my life. I'm trying to find a place that sells them, because I don't think I can ever eat a normal brat again.

Creston

Suss out quality butchers. Not only are they ones who carry game meats but are most likely to use them in sausages and other things. They may even be willing to bring in the meat and make them for you.

Whilst they don't make elk, Uli's make some seriously friggin good sausages. Check out their website for some nice recipes too.

http://www.ulisfamoussausage.com/

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 18:40 Creston

Hoop wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 16:47:

Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 18:40 Creston

For all you Brat lovers...

I was in Denver the past week, and I had an elk brat and a reindeer brat. Now, I hate that in this current generation, everything that's cool is automatically "OMG TEH BEST EVER!" It's used way, way, WAAAAAY too much.

That said, the elk and reindeer brats are undoubtedly the best brats I have ever had in my life. I'm trying to find a place that sells them, because I don't think I can ever eat a normal brat again.

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 17:28 Cutter

zirik wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 15:36:
its a good thing they didnt use a nail gun to fix the sail. "hold on jimmy, just keep it still from behind while i use a nail gun."

EDIT: oh its to fix a crew member. i read the headline and thought the nail gun was used to fix the boats sail.

It was a medical staple gun so it's really not that big a deal. Nor could you fix a broken mast with a staple gun, nail gun or anything else for that matter. All you can do is replace it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 16:47 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 15:50 nin

Shadowrun hits 1 million, Wasteland is 10K away from 2.5!

Great day for KS!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2012, 15:36 zirik

its a good thing they didnt use a nail gun to fix the sail. "hold on jimmy, just keep it still from behind while i use a nail gun."

EDIT: oh its to fix a crew member. i read the headline and thought the nail gun was used to fix the boats sail.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2012, 15:48.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo