Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue

GameSpot has a statement from EA explaining that the recently revealed tank concepts for Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances that look suspiciously like designs from Warhammer 40,000 were unintentionally exposed, and were never intended to be part of the upcoming MMORTS game:

"Games Workshop and EA are aware of the IP issues around the artwork in question, which have now been resolved," an EA representative said. "The artwork was internal EA concept art that was unintentionally released publicly. No Warhammer 40,000 tanks have ever made an appearance in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances, and never will. Games Workshop and EA continue to have a strong relationship working together on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and the new free to play game Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which just entered open beta."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 21:46 Jerykk

You haven't provided any evidence to substantiate such a claim. Defending their intellectual property doesn't make them "bad guys".

That depends on what they're defending it from. If someone is trying to profit from their IP, then the defense is justification. But if someone is making a non-profit fan project based on their IP? Why shut it down? It's not like anyone is going to be confused between the official products and the community ones. Hell, the community ones might even be better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 18:18 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 11:39:
Games Workshop has a long history of being bad guys. They legally go after their own fans. You really need to familiarize yourself with Games Workshop's litigious history. Someone would have to try very very hard to get me to feel bad for them.
You haven't provided any evidence to substantiate such a claim. Defending their intellectual property doesn't make them "bad guys". Furthermore, the way that this issue was resolved by GW was perfectly reasonable and avoided unnecessary litigation.

EA was in the wrong here. GW brought it up - after attention from the community - and the situation was resolved. I don't know what your issue is with GW but they cannot be faulted for the way that this issue was handled.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

20. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 16:03 Orogogus

People might not be able to quote the C&D letters, but they should still generate talk. If Warseer went down it would be pretty hard for GW to cover up their involvement.

Like, BGG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4271330#4271330

Apparently GW had specifically named 4 items, and asked BGG to also check their other stuff and remove anything that was infringing. BGG took down all the GW files hosted on their site at that time (although their policy must have changed since then, since there are GW-related files up again; probably they just have someone checking them now).

WarhammerAlliance.com changed their domain to WHAlliance.com, and is still around.

The dakkadakka post lists 8 links in the OP, 6 of which are still up either with new domain names... or with the original domain unchanged. It looks like Bloodbowl.net may have become www.thenaf.net, but I'm not really sure. Posts elsewhere on the Internet suggest that the 8th site, Port Maw, vanished after it got hacked, not after the C&D.

Regarding eBay, your link suggests that they go after storefronts on eBay, not individuals selling their minis. An eBay search for Space Marine gets nearly 13K results.

Supposedly they do go after online retailers, but it's not clear how that works, as there are a few right on Amazon. GW does direct online sales, and has their own storefronts, which is guaranteed, in any industry, to generate conflict with the 3rd party distributors who got you to that point. But that's kind of separate from suing fans.

To be clear, I did try to do my own research. It just doesn't seem to turn up a pattern of suing fans and being unwilling to reach any accommodation whatsoever. If there were, whitewashed wikis aside, it shouldn't be this hard to find.

19. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 14:52 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 12:31:
Genuinely curious, as a lot of people repeat the fact of GW's litigiousness, but evidence is somewhat scarce.
Partly that's because the legal stuff GW sends out is marked confidential and says one can't quote it without legal trouble. One of the links I provided you even mentioned that. Also, they sanitize their wiki page to keep any mention of that stuff out. I gave enough examples to start looking, feel free to do more research and find more. For instance, they've shut down internet retailers before for selling their stuff. Nowadays they outright forbid anyone online to sell their stuff.

An older list of some fansites that got C&Ds from GW:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/264704.page

They even send C&D's to people selling warhammer stuff on ebay:
http://www.purplepawn.com/2009/07/games-workshop-strikes-again/

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2012, 15:34.

18. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 11:39:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 09:01:
What a ridiculous statement. Companies have the right to protect their intellectual property from copyright infringement. It's funny how you're trying to make Games Workshop look like the bad guys here when in fact it was EA ripping off their designs.

Games Workshop has a long history of being bad guys. They legally go after their own fans. You really need to familiarize yourself with Games Workshop's litigious history.

What is the history? I went through this with Dev yesterday, and suffice to say I still think his examples were kind of, well, batshit stupid. There are a hell of a lot of fansites out there, so who's been shut down before? A Google search shows at least two that actually went to court: the Warhammer Alliance thing (where as far as I can tell they changed their domain name and are still up), and some company called Chapterhouse making knockoff miniatures (still in court). If there is a longreaching history, is anyone keeping track of it all?

There are more cease and desists in addition to the above, but even then I don't see much evidence of people actually shutting down a site because of one. Genuinely curious, as a lot of people repeat the fact of GW's litigiousness, but evidence is somewhat scarce.

17. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 11:47 Jack9

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 04:36:

Because it's a news blurb involving gaming on a gaming news website...........

Wait, on Friday people went to work at Games Workshop and EA, that's news? Someone found images of a WH40k units on deviantart (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=žion=&q=baneblade) - That's not news either. There's nothing there of interest, because there's nothing unusual about it. People have tried to make it interesting by appending their own spins and beliefs like it has any bearing on a non-issue.

16. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 11:39 NKD

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 09:01:
What a ridiculous statement. Companies have the right to protect their intellectual property from copyright infringement. It's funny how you're trying to make Games Workshop look like the bad guys here when in fact it was EA ripping off their designs.

Games Workshop has a long history of being bad guys. They legally go after their own fans. You really need to familiarize yourself with Games Workshop's litigious history. Someone would have to try very very hard to get me to feel bad for them.

It's like seeing a bully get beat up by a bigger bully on the playground. It may be wrong, but I'm not going to give a single fuck, and may even cheer it on.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 10:52 007Bistromath

Fortunately, they can keep having other companies make products that are actually relevant out of it.:V  

14. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 10:37 eRe4s3r

Except when you litigate your fanbase they come from it soured to the IP forever.

And what is the first thing that comes to mind when you read Games Workshop? For some reason I always think of lawsuit first. That can't be good for an IP

13. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 10:27 Blackhawk

GW isn't batshit crazy, they're batshit greedy. They know full well how much of an investment they'd have to make to actually sue EA, as opposed to suing some small website or third party publisher. They know that their bottom line is best served with a friendly query and accepted assurances.  

12. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 10:15 Kristian Joensen

"EA came out looking bad; GW came out looking good."

PR wise there is little doubt about that.

11. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 09:01 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 20:48:
I almost wish they had put these in the game just to troll Games Lawsuitshop.

Dev wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 22:23:
Yeah, its funny how many people in the last thread didn't believe that GW is crazy insane lawsuit happy.
But that's irrelevant to the issue at hand. Here we had EA using models that were clearly copied from W40K. Games Workshop DIDN'T issue a lawsuit in response but instead worked directly with EA to address the issue. That's about as responsible as you can get and points to a company acting fairly to protect its own interests.

EA came out looking bad; GW came out looking good.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 08:47 panbient

"No Warhammer 40,000 tanks have ever made an appearance in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances, and never will."

Well, this is certainly a disappointing missed opportunity for crossover action

9. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 04:36 DarkCntry

Jack9 wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 04:24:
Is this story the least bit interesting? No. Is it the least bit surprising? No. Is there a lesson to be learned? No. Why is anyone talking about this?

Because it's a news blurb involving gaming on a gaming news website...........

8. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 04:24 Jack9

Is this story the least bit interesting? No. Is it the least bit surprising? No. Is there a lesson to be learned? No. Why is anyone talking about this?  

7. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 03:02 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 23:02:
And while at it GW trolled too. Maybe a GW PR stunt from the beginning?

Knowing GW and EA? Entirely possible.

6. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 01:59 Lokust

tempest in a teapot  

5. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 13, 2012, 23:02 eRe4s3r

And while at it GW trolled too. Maybe a GW PR stunt from the beginning?  

4. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 13, 2012, 22:23 Dev

LOL, I think the real story is a bit different. Probably more along the lines of GW calling up EA legal and saying "you put those in your games and we will sue." Then EA saying "ooops we had some outsourced art, our bad, we'll spend an extra couple bucks to do it inside the company, please don't sue us, we want to keep making money from WO"
NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 20:48:
I almost wish they had put these in the game just to troll Games Lawsuitshop.
Yeah, its funny how many people in the last thread didn't believe that GW is crazy insane lawsuit happy.

3. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 13, 2012, 22:05 AdamK47

Face saved.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo