Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Apple's Cook Visits Valve?

Apple Insider writes Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly visited the Bellevue, Washington headquarters of Valve Corporation today. They proceed to get so caught up in speculation of the possible implications of this that they never get around to explaining the source of this report. Thanks GameInformer.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. If Steve Jobs was still alive today... Apr 15, 2012, 17:01 Ant

... Would he visit Valve?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 20:54 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 04:41:
Gabe's already rich as stink. His motivation at this point isn't money. That's why I find it off they want to go down the hardware path.

He's rich on paper. The vast majority of his net worth is from the estimated book value of his ownership stake in Valve. Considering how few people Valve actually employs, a buyout in the $5 billion range would make Gabe a very wealthy man in liquid assets and would likely set most every employee working there for life. It's not impossible to see that as a potential logical solution.

Regardless, if they sell out, it will be an all-cash transaction - I don't see Gabe selling if it involves taking on the stock of some company that he doesn't control.

30. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 19:26 Mr. Tact

iSteam *shudder*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 16:11 007Bistromath

Now Windows 8 on all your PC's that's something to scream about.

I'd love that. I think this weird interface fetish they're developing is disturbing, but they'll get over it. Generally speaking, if you want your rig to do all the latest shader tricks, it needs the latest windows on it. So... yup.

28. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 15:39 SectorEffector

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 09:08:
Steve Jobs repeatedly killed off any possibility of Apple competing with Microsoft for gaming, which is one of the reasons that Macs have remained a niche product. Now he's dead Apple is finally able to move on and this looks to be the first sign of such progress.

I don't see any advantage to Apple buying out Steam, as they could never kill off PC support without a huge backlash - that would destroy any value that the acquisition had. More likely we'll see Apple and Valve working together to increase the number of multi-platform titles, which would benefit both companies AND gamers.

You may have forgot the part about the first Halo being demoed at macworld back in the day when Steve Jobs introduced a guy from bungie to show it off.... before MICROSOFT bought it.

Apple may be the easy target with their money right now but with the state of windows 8 and a new Xbox I assure you guys, Apple is the least of your worries, esp when you guys hate the company and don't own any of their computers anyways, it doesnt affect you.

Now Windows 8 on all your PC's that's something to scream about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

27. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 15:39 zirik

Gabe's already rich as stink. His motivation at this point isn't money. That's why I find it off they want to go down the hardware path.

i always wondered if gabe still own microsoft stock. did he sell it in order to start valve?

26. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 09:08 theyarecomingforyou

Steve Jobs repeatedly killed off any possibility of Apple competing with Microsoft for gaming, which is one of the reasons that Macs have remained a niche product. Now he's dead Apple is finally able to move on and this looks to be the first sign of such progress.

I don't see any advantage to Apple buying out Steam, as they could never kill off PC support without a huge backlash - that would destroy any value that the acquisition had. More likely we'll see Apple and Valve working together to increase the number of multi-platform titles, which would benefit both companies AND gamers.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

25. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 07:25 El Pit

How do you call sticking a valve into an apple? You call it NONSENSE. That's what Gabe should remember unless he suffocates under tons of money Apple is throwing at him to buy Valve. PC gaming would truly lose some steam without Valve.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

24. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 07:09 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not at all worried about this at this point. CEOs of successful companies actually just visit each other all the time, often just to see some neat things and just talk shop and strategy. You rarely ever hear about it but it happens all the time. The tech press is just so full of Apple fanboys cramming to make front page stories out of what Tim Cook had for lunch that they got wind of this and made a big deal out of it. Gabe Newell is very successful and at this point, none of the major stakeholders in Valve are hurting for money. I think they'd rather have the freedom of corporate independence.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

23. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 06:34 Jago

Well if Steam goes to Apple, at least we'll still have Origin.  

22. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 06:04 Kajetan

Gabe's already rich as stink. His motivation at this point isn't money.
Sometimes people might find out, they still dont have enough money and that it might better to have some more?

21. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 04:41 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 03:34 NKD

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 02:14:
OldTimber wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 02:09:
I'd nuke my steam install the second a press release crosses the wires saying Apple is buying Valve and will never look back at it, nor care about the content of the games installed with it.

pretty silly to think Valve would be willing to let this happen.

To say the least. The cornerstone of Valve is being a private company with no meddlers. It gives them a huge amount of freedom to never release Half Life 3, and they aren't exactly hurting for cash either.

Of all software companies, Valve is probably the least likely to ever be acquired by anyone.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 02:14 Mordecai Walfish

OldTimber wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 02:09:
I'd nuke my steam install the second a press release crosses the wires saying Apple is buying Valve and will never look back at it, nor care about the content of the games installed with it.

pretty silly to think Valve would be willing to let this happen.

18. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 02:09 OldTimber

17. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 00:43 bigspender

fuck Apple.

that is all.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

16. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 00:02 LittleMe

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 23:07:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 23:01:
I don't think it makes any sense. There's no reason for Apple not to use their own store.
One reason why is in the post you quoted. With SteamPlay, another is a large legacy library.

I still like my rampant speculation better, though. I hope somebody sneaks a camera into the fight. I want to see if gaben really can unhinge his jaw like a snake.

Apple is and has always been obsessive about their control of their ecosystem. If I were to speculate on this.. I'd say that instead of buying Valve or STEAM outright, Apple might buy some of their software distribution so they (Apple) can utilize it. In other words, some new product/service would remain all Apple, but behind the scenes there would be Valve's technology. But it would be completely owned by Apple, of course.

As it is I don't think Apple has an incentive to buy STEAM or Valve since they are so heavily focused on PC+Windows.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 23:45 NegaDeath

Time to look into my crystal ball:

Apple buys Valve.

Steam gets integrated into itunes (isteam?)

There is a great disturbance in the internet, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

/ragequit

14. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 23:18 Techie714

ZOMG NOOOOO! lol  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 23:07 007Bistromath

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 23:01:
I don't think it makes any sense. There's no reason for Apple not to use their own store.
One reason why is in the post you quoted. With SteamPlay, another is a large legacy library.

I still like my rampant speculation better, though. I hope somebody sneaks a camera into the fight. I want to see if gaben really can unhinge his jaw like a snake.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo