Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 12:55 m0deth

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 00:13:
Apple: we broke -Amazon's monopolistic grip- on e-book industry.
Anything Apple can do anyone else can do for a fourth of the price.

IF they have the same access to resources....another thing Apple is known to do, browbeat/threaten suppliers into a single customer channel so that potential competitors cannot draw on like hardware innovations.

But I agree with most here, this is yet another desperate newsbite of late, too many really since Jobs' death. They are flailing, Tim Cook reminds me of Cyrol from Archer, yet another bumbling weenie left with reins far too large for his hands.

Anyone wanna lay bets on how fast Apple's stock prices drop in the next year?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 09:24 Prez

Dades wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 00:59:
Sometimes I think the world would be a better place if we put everyone with a marketing degree on an island and nuked it.

I'm with you, as long as said island is big enough to fit everyone in the US Executive and Legislative branches of government. Of course, I hear cockroaches have an uncanny ability to survive nuclear Armageddon...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 07:19 Julio

F Apple. Here's another person hoping Apple gets reamed in court.  

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 02:20 Veterator

Amazon putting publishers out of business by offering an alternative to signing the majority of the profits over to a big 6 publisher.

Apple comes along and helps them make up an excuse for collusion that sounds quasi-legitimate...preserving their business models for a bit at least. Says it's "for the customer".

The only people benefiting in that Apple deal are publishers and Apple. Hell the signed author's MIGHT see a half of a percent increase on a per book basis, but they are probably missing out on overall sales numbers due to it.

Self pubbed author gets to keep about 70% of their book price on Amazon. Versus with a traditional publisher they get something like 15% after it's all figured out.

If you're interested in the subject, look up "Joe Konrath" and read his blog on this, he has years of data he's collected as both a signed author and a self-pub.

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:59 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 00:22:
You've gotta admire the balls of people who can say such things with a straight face. "The ability for us to increase the price of our products is best for the consumer because they pay us more money."

Sometimes I think the world would be a better place if we put everyone with a marketing degree on an island and nuked it.

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:57 Tehol

i suspect many people are buying ebooks through ipad to justify their $600+(i don't know how much ipad 3 cost) purchase.  

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:22 Bhruic

The second, and equally powerful, reason for our decision to place this matter in the hands of a court is that we believed then, as we do now, that the agency model is the one that offers consumers the prospect of an open and competitive market for e-books.

You've gotta admire the balls of people who can say such things with a straight face. "The ability for us to increase the price of our products is best for the consumer because they pay us more money."

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:13 xXBatmanXx

Apple: we broke -Amazon's monopolistic grip- on e-book industry.

Hay pot meet kettle.

Can'nt believe Apple would EVER make ANY statements about being a Monopoly and pricing. Anything Apple can do anyone else can do for a fourth of the price.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:05 eRe4s3r

Topic is boring when first post says what everyone thinks

High prices for e-book are also the reason e-book piracy is rampant. You can find torrents with libraries so large that you could never read them in your lifetime. And thanks to calibre you can sort them easily and even manage transfer to kindle nicely.

This is likely one of the reasons the e-book market isn't skyrocketing. Though the kindle certainly was a boon for e-book piracy.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 13, 2012, 23:56 PropheT

Clicked to read the comments here and was pleased to see that Creston had pretty much covered my thoughts on this already.

Just...yeah.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 13, 2012, 23:45 Prez

I agree; Apple is despicable. And them complaining about another company's "monopolistic grip" is just priceless.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 13, 2012, 23:36 Creston

Fuck you, Apple, you pieces of goddamned fucking shit. You created an illegal monopoly by strong-arming publishers into deals with you, FORCING Amazon to start charging more for e-books.

Die screaming in a fucking fire.

Remember kids, if you ever wonder why your e-book is costing the same, or MORE, as a physical copy of that book, you have Apple and the late Steve Jobs to thank for it.

I hope they get REAMED in court.

Creston

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo