Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Confirms Hardware Plans

The Valve Job Postings Page has a listing for an Engineer Electronics Engineer that seems a pretty concrete confirmation of hot rumors that Valve is planning to develop hardware of some sort (thanks Engadget). Here's the introduction with the pertinent information speaking of "whole new gaming experiences.":

For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

87. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 14, 2012, 06:29 creatorswhim

Again, all this hiring is probably for Michael Abrash's wearable computing project and not for a console.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

86. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 14, 2012, 00:28 Bhruic

One whole Engineer Electronics Engineer (is he going to work at the department of redundancy department?) That new hardware's gonna rock!

Might want to check the link before making fun of it, as they have:

Hardware Engineer—Electronics Engineer
Hardware Engineer—Mechanical
Software Engineer—Firmware

Of course, what I thought was more interesting was the job opening for "Psychologist".

85. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 23:38 Creston

One whole Engineer Electronics Engineer (is he going to work at the department of redundancy department?) That new hardware's gonna rock!

Creston

84. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 22:35 zirik

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 22:20:
You think the figures saw this year is crazy money?!?! They are worth 3 Billion!!

MS lost 3.7 Billion just on the first Xbox! You don't need a business degree to see were i'm going with this...

I want Valve to succeed but they need to be strategic and use their business savvy.

MS lost money on the first xbox because they just entered the console market. they needed to create an installed base so they sold the hardware at a loss. some of the loss also came from buying up game devs like bungie and paying publishers to have exclusive games for the xbox. valve has experience so i think they have a better chance of succeeding with their own gaming hardware whatever form it might be.

83. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 22:20 4D-Boxing

You think the figures saw this year is crazy money?!?! They are worth 3 Billion!!

MS lost 3.7 Billion just on the first Xbox! You don't need a business degree to see were i'm going with this...

I want Valve to succeed but they need to be strategic and use their business savvy.

82. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 22:10 Dev

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 22:05:
Anyways, Valve needs to position it's bread and butter first aka Steam and once the royalties $$ is rolling in like crazy they can look into hardware
Newsflash, steam has money rolling in like crazy already.

81. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 22:05 4D-Boxing

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 21:19

And then Apple later became the most profitable company in the entire friggin universe with a model based on hardware sales..

AH yes, the same the great Apple that got saved from bankruptcy by uncle Billy Gates (see history). How many sales flops before they released something that made them so big???

The cost of R&D to develop a viable piece of hardware that will sell like hotcakes not to mention marketing costs = lots of money in a shaky global economy.

The stock market loves people like you! Long live free enterprise!!

Anyways, Valve needs to position it's bread and butter first aka Steam and once the royalties $$ is rolling in like crazy they can look into hardware in order to maximize revenue by owning and controlling the distribution channel (hardware).

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2012, 22:10.

80. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 21:56 zirik

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 21:19:
And then: Apple's CEO Tim Cook visits Valve today

/tinfoilhat

wouldnt be surprised if apple is trying to get an early release for half life 3 on os x. they did the same thing with id software when quake 3 arena came out. although it was only a week ahead of other platforms. but it was enough to get the attention of gamers on their hardware. i remember reading a lot of previews that were made using the mac version of q3a.

79. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 21:52 Dev

zirik wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 20:31:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:43:
This falls into Dev's mantra too, because if Valve is "interested" in wearable-computing then that's what they're working on.

they could also be intentionally misleading competitors. we really wont know until they reveal something at E3 maybe?
I don't think valve has any history of that. They pretty much tell it like it is. They don't care much about competitors. To be honest, they don't really have any anyway. So far EA is intent on shooting themselves in the foot. Stardock sold impulse to gamestop. I hardly hear anymore about d2d (that used to be the main competitor to steam). GoG is mostly for older games. Desura is interesting, they are doing alpha drives for indies, but I don't think they are close to being a steam competitor.

Edit: I didn't even remember that gamefly bought out d2d a few months back until I googled to see what they were up to nowadays lol.

78. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 21:19 Mordecai Walfish

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:24:
Bill Gates realized 30 years ago that the money was in software and not in hardware. Valve would be better off striking a deal with Sony that would integrate steam to the PS4 and a similar deal with cable providers concerning set to boxes.

And then Apple later became the most profitable company in the entire friggin universe with a model based on hardware sales..

Funny how the answer wasn't just contained in one persons perception there. These are complicated matters and Valve has the talent pool to create and innovate, whether that means looking at the entire equation from the ground up, or just creating appealing hardware that reflects what their customers are looking for based on the data they collect from steam. (for which they have a upper hand on pretty much every other gaming software/hardware dev)

Does this mean new control interfaces? Likely.

A Steam console? Yes. They're not going to piggyback off someone else's set-top box/console. Perhaps the option will only be there for customers that do not have/wish their gaming PC hooked up to their large television. Streaming the data in the background at extremely high speeds from your home PC to the console is possible, but for truly massive, seamless worlds would probably take some amount of pre-loading.

Half Life 3 designed with not just software in mind, but with (optional) supporting hardware they have planned for around the corner? Possible. They've taken this long in planning, pre-production, etc.. I'm guessing they've brainstormed some pretty wild things by now.

The mouse is a very tried and true input mechanism that Xerox invented almost a half a century ago. It works wonderfully for many things, not so well for others. Thats not to say one control device should be perfect for everything, but there is much room for innovation in the interface design department, something I hope Valve will be keen to explore.

eunichron wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 16:52:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 16:45:
4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:24:
Bill Gates realized 30 years ago that the money was in software and not in hardware. Valve would be better off striking a deal with Sony that would integrate steam to the PS4 and a similar deal with cable providers concerning set to boxes.

Apples sales are based on image, it has nothing to do with their hardware. Just look at the recent fiasco with Instagram going Android; Apple hardware owners don't care about what hardware they're buying, all they care about is that it has an Apple icon on it.

Valve has quite an "Image" of their own, and thats completely besides the fact that Apple would not have gotten to the point they are at now if they were selling refurbished Amigas in tablet form. It's naive to think things like having a 2048-by-1536 pixel resolution on a tablet, or a convenient and small music player that holds your entire music library *and* has a decent interface for accessing it, has not helped their cause. People throw money at them because of the non-technical requirements of adoption, too. They feel they dont need a course in computers to take advantage of their device. This is the image they sell as well as partially a reality. My grandmother has an iPad and has no problem navigating around on it, with no previous experience with any Apple OS. This is a selling point for the non-technically inclined.

Remember, Valve is talking about advanced interfaces here too, and this was a starting point for Apple as well. It may hinder accessibility, but if it's done right, people will buy it. For instance, you may not be able to go into a file browser and locate all of your save games to backup, etc.. but with an interface that intelligently knows where all of this stuff is, without exception, and stores it in "cloud" for you, or allows a 1-click cd/dvd/thumb drive backup, is an improvement in the interface people use for saved games storage currently-- with crap strewn in "my documents", "steam/userdata", the program install directory, etc. There is much room for improvement here and I think Valve is fully aware, and willing to do something about that.

It's naive to think Valve doesnt have an eye on Apple in regards to what makes them so profitable and successful, especially with hardware endeavors in the pipeline.

And then: Apple's CEO Tim Cook visits Valve today

/tinfoilhat

77. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 20:31 zirik

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:43:
This falls into Dev's mantra too, because if Valve is "interested" in wearable-computing then that's what they're working on.

they could also be intentionally misleading competitors. we really wont know until they reveal something at E3 maybe?

76. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:46 Ratty

eunichron wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:24:
Dev wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:19:
I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing lol.

Might be great for them, but it's bad for us.
I'm reminded of how Valve leveraged Half-Life 2 to force the adoption of Steam on everybody. Wanna play Half-Life 2? Then you gotta install Steam. Sure, most of us love it and all NOW, but boy at the time I resented it.

I'm worried they'll try the same thing with Half-Life 3, only this time it's not something we're ever going to love.

75. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:45 Matshock

elefunk wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:03:
It's amazing how narrow-minded people are about these things. Console? Cheap Steam PC? Really? That's all you can think of?

Broaden your minds, folks. Valve is planning something much more ambitious.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

That's it then- Gabe is going to invent "The Matrix". Only this time when he's says it's almost done the truth will be that you're already inside it.

74. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:43 Sepharo

rist3903 wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:26:
I thought I heard that it was going to be a peripheral that would monitor various aspects of the player such as heart rate and perspiration that would then feed back into a director type ai to adjust the gaming experience.

I did not get the impression that this was going to be a standalone console type product, but rather something you plugged into your PC.

Haven't read the rest of the comments yet, but this is what I was going to write.

I think Valve is developing a "killer app", in this case a "killer peripheral", for HL3. They've said before that they don't want to release an HL3 that isn't revolutionary.

edit: Okay read the rest, looks like some others picked up on it too and we even got the quotes and blog entries.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2012, 19:52.

73. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:32 zirik

im wondering if valve enlisted the help of falcon northwest computers. they seem to have a history together (see half life 2 episode 1 & 2 ending credits). maybe this will be just a valve branded gaming rig made by falcon northwest. puget systems also has experience with custom hardware. so valve has two experienced local companies to consult.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2012, 19:40.

72. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:28 DNForever

Makes no sense, at all.  

71. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:28 Dev

eunichron wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:24:

I dunno, it depends on what gabe wants. If he wants to do hl3, then yeah its bad for us. If he wants to have everyone work more on more steam on PS3, I doubt that would be good for PC gamers.

70. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:24 eunichron

69. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:22 Pankin

Where can I pick up a Me-Too mouse?  

68. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:19 Dev

So anyway, here's the product he says in that link he's working on "wearable computing"
But, he says that "this is R&D – it doesn’t in any way involve a product at this point, and won’t for a long while, if ever"

However, this is where all the hiring positions (from the job postings link in blue's blurg) come in, for the wearable computing bit:
we need more smart people. Lots more smart people. Hardware people, software people, firmware people, game people, UI people, just plain great programmers and problem solvers, industrial designers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, systems programmers, computer vision people, optics engineers, you name it.
So all those positions are more likely to be for the wearable computing in the far future, not any steam box/console.

And finally, I don't think they have any business people advising them on TF2 or even steam, they are just experimenting (as Gabe has said before), given that he says "And if you’re a first-class economist, please check us out. You’ll have a sandbox with 40 million users, and I promise you’ll never be bored."
That would explain things such as why they've failed to capitalize on the portal 2 store. Its just not interesting enough to them compared to TF2, and no one is advising them on how to make money with it.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2012, 19:25.

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo