Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Confirms Hardware Plans

The Valve Job Postings Page has a listing for an Engineer Electronics Engineer that seems a pretty concrete confirmation of hot rumors that Valve is planning to develop hardware of some sort (thanks Engadget). Here's the introduction with the pertinent information speaking of "whole new gaming experiences.":

For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

7. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:29 Burrito of Peace

Anyone think that it might be something like peripherals and not a console?

They could also be launching their own custom PC business. There are a lot of things you can employ an Electrical Engineer for that doesn't automatically equate to "ZOMGWTFBBQ! CONSOLE?! WHARGBBLNERDRAGEFACE!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:19 theglaze

As long as I can buy hat's for it, I'll be happy.  

5. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:11 ASeven

Guess that Steambox thingie is coming after all.  

4. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:11 Narf2029

Kind of worrisome. Having a console directly associated with Steam creates pressure toward making games that run on its hardware, however old or underpowered/"affordable" it may be. Why would a publisher want to put a game on Steam if all the console-only users could not run it?  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

3. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:05 Quboid

Definitely an interesting one. My guess is a stripped down PC running Steam and little else, but what sort of controller they have will say a lot about what they have in mind.  

- Quboid

2. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:05 Necrophob

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 09:54:
I can't wait to see how this will play out. I don't think it's something they'd jump into unless they had a long term plan.

The hardware will be released in episodes.

1. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 09:54 nin

I can't wait to see how this will play out. I don't think it's something they'd jump into unless they had a long term plan.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo