Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announces the launch of a new version 1.2: Legacy update for the Star Wars MMORPG. In addition to changes and bug-fixes, this also includes several free gifts: Subscribers receive a Tauntaun Ram Pet (just don't ride it out to the first marker), players with a level 50 or higher account receive 30 days of free game time, as well as a welcome back program which will offer former subscribers the chance to play for free from April 13-19.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 15, 2012, 16:19 Ant

Come on F2P. >:)  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 14, 2012, 19:47 Bhruic

woohoo! I've got legacy level 6  

35. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 14, 2012, 18:35 JohnBirshire

They changed their mind, they are giving a free month to anybody with a level 50 character ***OR*** a legacy level of 6 a free month, and giving you until April 22nd to do it. Anybody who has been subscribing more than a month or two should meet that requirement.  

34. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 23:56 Bhruic

But you're wrong in your last paragraph. What they SHOULD have done is give 30 free days to everyone who has an active subscription and has paid for at least 3 months. That makes much more sense and is a lot less arbitrary than simply having a level 50.

It's no less arbitrary, it's just a criteria that you like better. You'd still have people who've subbed for 2.99 months complaining about the cut-off.

From what I've read, the reason that they are doing this for 50s is because they were supposed to have the ranked WarZones in the 1.2 patch, and they were removed at the last minute. So this is supposed to be an "apology" of sorts to them. Or, more likely, a way to keep they subbed until the ranked WarZones are in the game, so they will continue to sub in the future.

But I chose to pace myself more to play with my IRL friends, and made a ton of alts (I'm using all 8 slots on the server I play on).

Right, I've got a lot of alts too, but that's the point. It's just like the phone company offering deals to those who complain, rather than everyone. From their perspective, there's no reason to give you 30 free days, as you've still got lots of content to do, so you're likely to keep subbing anyway. The people they are trying to keep are the people likely to cancel, and that's level 50s with little-to-nothing to do.

33. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 23:39 Teddy

Blegvad wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:51:
The free 30 days reeks of desperation.

It really does. The timing of it is what's really interesting. Their next investor's call is in May. This free month boosts their active subscriptions numbers pretty much right up to that point, which would blunt any fall-off that they might have to report.

32. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 20:44 NKD

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 18:42:
free gifts ->> merged servers ->> going free to play ->> good night

BioWare doesn't like F2P. For example, Warhammer is still sub based despite flopping. TOR going F2P is unlikely.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

31. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 20:03 anyawow

DedEye wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:47:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:05:
But yeah, I thought it was an odd line as well, since religion itself is a seldom occurring concept in the Star Wars canon, other than the force. *which is ironically not really worshiped or even discussed much outside of Jedi/Sith circles*

Yes and no.

I watched the empire strikes back (yes, yet again ) a few nights ago and lost count of the number of times I heard "maker save us" and "by the creator", which have religious overtones.

Yea, but wasn't it C3PO, a droid who says those words? His maker is none other than Anakin Skywalker, though, C3PO's memory was probably wiped and he wouldn't know. So the maker and creator are just men.

30. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 19:47 DedEye

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:05:
But yeah, I thought it was an odd line as well, since religion itself is a seldom occurring concept in the Star Wars canon, other than the force. *which is ironically not really worshiped or even discussed much outside of Jedi/Sith circles*

Yes and no.

I watched the empire strikes back (yes, yet again ) a few nights ago and lost count of the number of times I heard "maker save us" and "by the creator", which have religious overtones.

29. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:47 Endo

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 18:42:
Well we definitely need some merged servers soon, or at least free moves. My server is becoming deserted enough that it's nearly impossible to find a group for any flashpoint other than end-game. I can't even get a group with my tank characters.

28. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:46 Endo

Bhruic wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 11:40:

Read elsewhere that some players are pissed that it only applies to accounts with a lvl 50 character, but I guess you can't please everyone

Well, that is rather annoying. I could have got a level 50 char easily, but I wanted to check out some of the other stories, so I've been spreading my time among a bunch of other chars. So I'm going to miss out on 30 free days because I didn't stick to a single char.

But I guess there's really nothing short of "free 30 days for all" they could have done that wouldn't have been equally arbitrary.
I'm in the same boat, and slightly more upset than you, though not really pissed. But you're wrong in your last paragraph. What they SHOULD have done is give 30 free days to everyone who has an active subscription and has paid for at least 3 months. That makes much more sense and is a lot less arbitrary than simply having a level 50. I could have had a level 50 in the first 3-4 weeks, without pushing myself. But I chose to pace myself more to play with my IRL friends, and made a ton of alts (I'm using all 8 slots on the server I play on).

27. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:42 Steele Johnson

26. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:31 Ghola

Same here...I wanted to try several classes and races to see which ones I liked to play the most and have several characters as well that are over 50 if combined. They should give the free 30 to all level 50's and founders.  

25. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 17:48 FloorPie

Flatline wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 15:28:
Alamar wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:22:
We let them know in the beta forums in agonizing detail for MONTHS about what the reaction to the game shipping in it's current state would be... and well, here we are.

I wonder what game has ever launched, in the last 10 or so 'connected' years, where this wasn't the case... There is always someone, or a group of someone's, calling doom, because their favored feature(s) is/are missing...

-Alamar

I wouldn't call LFG or tweakable UI "favored features". I'd call that pretty fucking standard in the MMO market.

Ditto, it was a serious worry when I got into the late beta tests. But then I've not really played the game the last two months and should cancel my account. I'm a bit peeved that only folks with a lvl 50 character get a free month. I had 3 characters who combined are over level 50.

24. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 16:41 Acleacius

Interesting, they seemed to have finished early. I'm downloading the newest patch atm. It says all servers are Available.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 16:08 Bhruic

It might just be our server (RP) but it's one of the busiest I've seen. I ended up here due to following some friends, but was glad when I found out RP wasn't strictly enforced.

I like RP servers because they tend to have friendlier people on them (in general), but the one I'm on, I don't think I've seen any RP at all. Apparently it's mostly just in-guild or in cantinas. I'm not a hard-core RPer or anything, but wouldn't have minded some light RP here or there.

But at least the population isn't too bad - enough to generally get a group, not so much as to have to queue for quest items.

22. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 15:28 Acleacius

In regards to Matching gear, the little time I played with it, what seems to happen is you can make any or all items match your chest piece.

I had originally thought (heard?, if I did it was from that video demonstration ) there was ability to change colors manually on each item. So if that exists I couldn't find it. It could have been due to the patching not working correctly. As mention, they are currently patching, the patch of THE 1.2 patch, i.e. the second fix with an eta of 6 pm Central.

The biggest problem I can see is the LFG system being Nonexistent for the most part. There is a User Created LFG channel. /cjoin lfg (iirc)

I'm a story whore so I'm still having fun by my account. I really don't spend time grinding out max gear or playing pvp, so views are just those of pve. I'm not saying the stories are the greatest ever, just better than almost anything lucas created.

However the hell you judge the SW universe, I personally think lucas was destroying (destroyed?) the franchise and Bioware saved it. Not saying Bioware or more accurately ea won't kill it but just without KotOR 1 & 2 (Obsidian) the franchise was mostly meaningless. So at least until GW2 or Secret World releases, I'll probably try to play as many of the stories as possible.

It might just be our server (RP) but it's one of the busiest I've seen. I ended up here due to following some friends, but was glad when I found out RP wasn't strictly enforced.

I was hoping for a Blue's guild , it's pretty clear most aren't happy with the game.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:22:
We let them know in the beta forums in agonizing detail for MONTHS about what the reaction to the game shipping in it's current state would be... and well, here we are.

I wonder what game has ever launched, in the last 10 or so 'connected' years, where this wasn't the case... There is always someone, or a group of someone's, calling doom, because their favored feature(s) is/are missing...

-Alamar

I wouldn't call LFG or tweakable UI "favored features". I'd call that pretty fucking standard in the MMO market.

20. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 13:22 Alamar

-Alamar

19. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 13:18 nin

the ability to make your gear match is nice

Did they (finally) turn that back on? It was on during the beta weekends and then oddly missing for the retail client.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 12:56 deqer

"FREE GIFTS WITH RESTRICTIONS!"

Really? Even when you're hurtin', you still got balls to put out restrictions--not to mention--on shitty gifts? lol

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo