Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2012, 03:30 mag

I went back to play some Demon's Souls today... I actually kinda feel like a lot of aspects of it are superior to Dark Souls. Damn shame. I wish they could release the server software to the community to run.

Also: You all may recall that Demon's Souls' servers have had a number of extensions to even bring it this far along. They never intended to run the servers for more than a year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 21:58 The Half Elf

I want voice commands for Skyrim!!!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 18:51 xXBatmanXx

killer_roach wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:56:
Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:27:
Agreed, the game was wildly profitable as well. There is really no excuse to shut it off this early other than intentional sunsetting.

Keep in mind, Demon's Souls was published by Atlus, while Dark Souls was published by Namco Bandai. While the developer (From Software) is getting revenue either way, Atlus' cut was pretty much cannibalized by Namco Bandai. They have little financial interest in keeping the servers up any longer.

I get it, there is a cost involved, but it has to be so minimal that I don't understand why they wouldn't take over the infrastructure. Sad to see it go. I really big patch would be nice, that kept all current messages in the SP game so you had the warnings....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 16:19 avianflu

oh that might well explain it -- different publishers and the old publisher just dumping the game.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 13:56 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:27:
Agreed, the game was wildly profitable as well. There is really no excuse to shut it off this early other than intentional sunsetting.

Keep in mind, Demon's Souls was published by Atlus, while Dark Souls was published by Namco Bandai. While the developer (From Software) is getting revenue either way, Atlus' cut was pretty much cannibalized by Namco Bandai. They have little financial interest in keeping the servers up any longer.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 13:27 Verno

Kythlyn wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:49:
I think it's a disturbing trend in modern gaming... you've got Sony harping on about a "10 year cycle" but developers are pulling the plug on their online servers in only a few years.

There was a very high return rate on the game apparently.

Eh that's might just be people trading in "old" copies since they won't replay it. They had to do three separate large print runs for North America because they couldn't meet demand. They were shocked and largely unprepared for the games success despite it having a large import demand. I played a month ago though and I was still able to summon/invade a shitload of people at weird times so I'd say the user base is still there.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2012, 13:40.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 13:19 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 09:57:
Really hoping Fez comes to Steam. Fingers crossed. Looks pretty cool. Might have to break down in the meantime...

The developer has said that he doesn't want to port it to PC, but maybe somebody else will step in if it does well enough on XBLA.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 12:49 Kythlyn

avianflu wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 11:34:
it is curious they would shut the servers down so quickly. I suppose it doesnt help that it can be found used for 5-ish bucks though. There was a very high return rate on the game apparently.

I think it's a disturbing trend in modern gaming... you've got Sony harping on about a "10 year cycle" but developers are pulling the plug on their online servers in only a few years.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 12:27 mag

Sad about Demon's Souls, but I guess I haven't touched it since Dark Souls came out, so...  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 11:34 avianflu

it is curious they would shut the servers down so quickly. I suppose it doesnt help that it can be found used for 5-ish bucks though. There was a very high return rate on the game apparently.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 10:01 Verno

Damned shame about Demons Souls going offline, it's still quite actively played. I didn't think the infrastructure costs were that significant either, they are largely shared with Dark Souls anyway.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2012, 09:57 nin

Really hoping Fez comes to Steam. Fingers crossed. Looks pretty cool. Might have to break down in the meantime...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo