Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend: Launches

The Tribes: Ascend website is now accepting signups for Hi-Rez Studios' revival of this beloved multiplayer shooter series. They offer client downloads and account registration for the free-to-play game, and here's word on what to expect:

Hi-Rez Studios, independent developer of AAA free-to-play online games, today announced the official release of Tribes: Ascend. The fast-paced, sci-fi multiplayer shooter has completed Beta testing and is now a live PC game available for digital download.

Tribes: Ascend is the world's fastest shooter. The game features jetpacks, skiing, vehicles, team-based gameplay, and cutting-edge graphics using Unreal 3 technology. With this official release, the game is available for download directly from the developer at www.tribesascend.com.

The Tribes: Ascend release build includes 9 playable classes, 5 game-modes, and 16 unique maps.

Recent additions include the CTF map Raindance, as well as a new game-mode called Capture and Hold. The Release build also includes a preview of the Custom Server functionality that will soon be available to players.

"For the past 15 months, we've had a very passionate dev team working hard toward this goal," said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO. "Along the way some publishers told us modern gamers couldn't handle an FPS that was fast-paced and skill-based. We believe otherwise. Players seem to agree since we've had well over 500,000 join our Beta. We're excited to now grow the community further with the official release."

Hi-Rez Studios also released a summary of Beta statistics including:

• 575,000+ beta participants
        • 150 million player kills
        • Over 3 million Blue Plate Specials
        • Over 3 million flag captures

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

51. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 20:49 The Pyro

Sounds to me like "free-to-play" is just a thinly veiled demo in this instance. I don't see why people have a problem with that; the full price for unlocking everything is very reasonable, and it's great that they even allow you to grind the unlocks if you don't want to pay for it. I was going to try the game but the website appears to be down at the moment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 20:09 NKD

Just played this for a few hours. Didn't take long to get back in the groove of nailing people at long range with spinfusor Anyone who played the original will be able to pick this up pretty easily.

But I saw a few derps running into walls and standing around like it was Call of Duty. Such easy kills.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

49. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 20:08 SXO

Flatline wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:09:
SXO wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:31:
I was a beta tester and I just couldn't get into this game. It didn't really feel like a Tribes game to me. When I played the original two games, skiing was just an exploit that was very uncommon (probably became far more common after I stopped playing). Now skiing is a normal part of the game, so combat just feels like ranged jousting matches where players zip by each other taking shots until it devolves into a high speed chase where one is simply outnumbered. Now before those of you that like this playstyle flame me, let me just say this is my own personal opinion. Go on an enjoy the game as is, but I'll pass on this one.

You must have quit playing tribes within the first month or two. Skiing was known about and left in intentionally since the first patch.

Now, back in the day it required a modicum of skill or a script to perform, which was a very slight barrier to entry, but otherwise, it's been part of Tribes since maybe the first T1 patch.
As a matter of fact, I did indeed quit playing Tribes 2 in the first month simply because it crashed so often. I'm sure the patches eventually fixed it, but I had moved on by then, just don't remember to what. But as far as Starsiege: Tribes, I simply do not remember an abundance of people skiing everywhere. Maybe I just happened to play on servers with "noobs" all the time or something. Either way, the combat in Ascend just didn't do it for me. It just felt too chaotic and random. I felt like I was playing the battle mode of the very first Mario Kart for SNES, just randomly zipping by each other hoping to do damage. Then I decided "OK, let me just focus on objectives then," but without teamwork that failed as well.

48. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:58 ViRGE

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 19:02:
So now I'm getting pwnd using heavy/repair while I grind enough points to unlock my class of choice.
And this is the crux of the problem. It's a MP FPS people, you shouldn't need to unlock anything!

47. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 12, 2012, 19:45 eRe4s3r

leveling up is extremely slow though. very low XP gain even for a total domination round (at best 2000 xp) With paying apparently more than 5500xp for same skill. That means pay 2 winner's level up and unlock weapons 3 to 4 times as fast, have faster access to stuff etc.

Weapon unlocks are extremely expensive too. (You spend XP to unlock stuff)

Generally, it ain't terrible but the annoying PAY PAY PAY to get THIS and THAT in your face bullshit gets annoying fast. The first thing you see is a "add gold" button everywhere

Also, snipers are complete crap, and the game feels a bit too softcore to be called Tribes, everything lives too long, imo.

46. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 19:02:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:43:
Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:39:
I'll pass on this, then.

Not gonna play for free to be PWNZ0RZZZ by people who're willing to spend hundreds..
The unlockables don't make that much difference. If someone is gonna PWNZORZZZ you, then they would do so with or without unlocks. Skill and teamwork are by far the biggest factors. By the time you get the hang of the game, you should have earned enough experience to unlock quite a bit.

That's not true, the unlockable items make a pretty big difference. I can usually give any player a one-on-one run for their money with a heavy/energy combo, but that's a class that has to be unlocked. So now I'm getting pwnd using heavy/repair while I grind enough points to unlock my class of choice. And it's going to take a while because the grinding is too much in this game. And of course, that's their way for you tp pay money; like all those FTP games.
Wait, what? You say you can give any player a run for their money with that combo, but then say you don't have that combo unlocked? Splain that plz.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

45. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:13 Steele Johnson

loomy wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 19:04:
what bf3 taught me is that I'll play a shitty unlocking game for a while to unlock things so I can see what the game is really like.

what this tribes news story taught me is that I won't do that very often. I won't be putting myself through that again for a long time.

since I'm probably not alone I think all these companies racing toward the imaginary gold mine of free-to-play are going to get burnt when the player base dries up. then they'll smack their foreheads when they realize people will pay for a good game. the cycle continues

I think in this case, it's a little bit different. Tribes is a skill based games. Skill based games usually have a smaller player base when compared to games like Skyrim. So the only way they have a chance to make a good amount of money from this game, is by nickle and diming their player base with this type of business model. Serious Tribes gamers will fork out the cash.

44. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:04 loomy

what bf3 taught me is that I'll play a shitty unlocking game for a while to unlock things so I can see what the game is really like.

what this tribes news story taught me is that I won't do that very often. I won't be putting myself through that again for a long time.

since I'm probably not alone I think all these companies racing toward the imaginary gold mine of free-to-play are going to get burnt when the player base dries up. then they'll smack their foreheads when they realize people will pay for a good game. the cycle continues

43. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:02 Steele Johnson

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:43:
Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:39:
I'll pass on this, then.

Not gonna play for free to be PWNZ0RZZZ by people who're willing to spend hundreds..
The unlockables don't make that much difference. If someone is gonna PWNZORZZZ you, then they would do so with or without unlocks. Skill and teamwork are by far the biggest factors. By the time you get the hang of the game, you should have earned enough experience to unlock quite a bit.

That's not true, the unlockable items make a pretty big difference. I can usually give any player a one-on-one run for their money with a heavy/energy combo, but that's a class that has to be unlocked. So now I'm getting pwnd using heavy/repair while I grind enough points to unlock my class of choice. And it's going to take a while because the grinding is too much in this game. And of course, that's their way for you tp pay money; like all those FTP games.

42. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:58 DaZ

To everyone thinking that they won't play this because they think people that spent money will "PWNZ0R" them.

No, it doesn't work like that

This game is absolutely brilliant, I've been putting about 2-3 hours a week into it since about the beginning of March this year and I've unlocked 2 classes, a bunch of upgrades for said classes and a new weapon during my time.

The unlockable classes and weapons give you CHOICES, not POWER. There are a few essential upgrades you will need for your classes but these are extremely cheap and you will be able to afford them using the in-game xp (so no real money) after a couple of good rounds of play. Even then, things like the +50 health upgrade for most armours isn't really that big of a deal, when you consider that a good Spinfuser hit will do anything from 500-1000 damage depending on how good your aim is.

So, in closing:

1) Ignore morons that cry PAY2WIN LOLZ
2) It's free, so wth right?

I do agree about the update service though, that's stupid as hell

41. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:57 Deepjay

Matshock wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:16:
No Demo? We hate it.

DRM? We hate it.

Costs money? We hate it.

Play for free? OK!

Oh wait, other people get to invest money and enjoy the game more? We hate it.

More than a few PC gamers are their own worst enemies.

At this rate of support SSD-cached photo-real megatextures ought to get implemented oh around 2030- for the XBOX 1440. With a healthy community they could be a reality in few years...

Aha i love this comment, so damned on the money

40. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:56 Steele Johnson

yuastnav wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:19:
Tribes: Ascend is the world's fastest shooter.

As much as I love this game this is simply not true. I believe this title is still held by Quake 1/ezQuake or Quake 3 CPMA.

I disagree. I can ski way faster than you can run in any of those games. And if Quake games had the outdoor environments that Tribes has, you'd see how much slower it really is.

39. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:55 Deepjay

As much as I love this game this is simply not true. I believe this title is still held by Quake 1/ezQuake or Quake 3 CPMA.

I dont recall you being able to travel at 300km/ph in Quake

38. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:50 xXBatmanXx

Flatline wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:08:

I think they meant literally. You don't run around at 300kph in any quake game, and most flag caps happen well over 200kph.

You apparently have never used your grappling hook to get across the map quicker than a lightning bolt!

Quake 1 CTF - Threewave Capture the Flag FTW!!!!! Just watching videos and listening to the sounds brings me back to 1996.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

37. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:46 xXBatmanXx

Looks like Halo 3.5 - pass.

(yes I played the other Tribes - was fun early on - then just became exploit fest and the game evolved into something they never intended.)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:42 Jdrez

Shataan wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:40:

I remember Tribes 1. It was awesome back in the day. I highly doubt it will ever be eclipsed.

The first Tribes was unique in so many ways. The (by the standards of the day) insanely huge, open maps. Jetpacks, unique weapons. I have such nostalgia for it.

But Tribes 2 was barely tolerable and the unique feel of the first game hasn't been enough to make any of the sequels good. I'd vote for a re-skinning of the original on a new engine, but I doubt it'd still feel as good as it did.

Some things are better left in the past.

35. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:39 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:31:
Pay To Win.

That word, you keep using it, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

34. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 12, 2012, 18:27 Krovven

UConnBBall wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 18:20:
Not pay to win. It is soooo much better then I thought it would be.

Krovven wrote:
Paying cash to gain XP faster than others = Pay To Win. The degree that it is Pay To Win and how much it effects the game is debatable.

UConnBBall wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 18:20:
Most of the stuff is just pay for convenience and flashy things.

But not all. Classes, XP, Currency, Weapons...none of these are cosmetic or "flashy things" as you call them.

33. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 12, 2012, 18:20 UConnBBall

Not pay to win. It is soooo much better then I thought it would be.

It's like saying League of Legends is pay to win. Most of the stuff is just pay for convenience and flashy things.

32. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:05 mag

I really loved Tribes/Tribes 2, but all this announcement did for me was remind me to uninstall the beta. :/

I don't know. Something just felt really off about it.

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo