Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

0x10cͨ Screenshots

Markus" notch" Persson tweets the release of some prototype screenshots from 0x10cͨ, Mojang's upcoming space game. He's also added a note to the section mentioning "hard science fiction" to back off that a bit: "Update: GAH, NO! I'm focusing on fun gameplay instead. I still want to get corrected on glaring scientific errors, though."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:53 Dmitri_M

The simplistic blocks worked in Minecraft because it was a sandbox game. The blocky shapes made the game accessible to anyone who has ever played with toy blocks as a child.

0x10 sounds like much more an actual game with mechanics rather than a sandbox "do anything".

He said it would involve "hard science", accessing onboard systems, fixing things. Isn't possible to achieve that without bumbling around in these cube like graphics?

If he isn't a one trick pony, perhaps he can devise an alternate 2D tiled way of doing the graphics that still allow customisation. I mean, how many space ship interiors can you really design using just 1 meter x 1 meter cubes?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:43 NKD

Blue's News bitching about graphics in an indie game that is basically in a dead genre. I really HAVE crossed into the alternate universe.

From my understanding, you build your ship using the in-game model editor. You plop down shapes, stretch them, scale them, delete vertices, move them around in order to build your ship. It would be difficult to allow this level of freedom and maintain some consistent level of graphical "spiffyness." Even high res textures wouldn't look very good on arbitrary polyhedrons.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:42 aphistic

creatorswhim wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:33:
I doubt he's going to start selling the alpha this week, so you guys should stand down. There'll be plenty of time to grouse about the game after he forces you to give him money again.

Sorry, when did anyone force you to give them money?

11. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:42 Verno

Topevoli wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:33:
Its a prototype. It has nothing to do with graphics and they are purposely under developed.

Prototyping is used to test out game ideas. Why would they texture and detail all these objects which may or may not even stay in the game? You don't paint the walls of a house before you put them up! Comments like "it looks terrible" are the reason early development pics are rarely released.

Sure but I don't think people are talking about the lack of texturing To be fair I guess he's going to stick with what he knows in terms of design.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 creatorswhim

I doubt he's going to start selling the alpha this week, so you guys should stand down. There'll be plenty of time to grouse about the game after he forces you to give him money again.  

9. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 Topevoli

Its a prototype. It has nothing to do with graphics and they are purposely under developed.

Prototyping is used to test out game ideas. Why would they texture and detail all these objects which may or may not even stay in the game? You don't paint the walls of a house before you put them up! Comments like "it looks terrible" are the reason early development pics are rarely released.

8. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:22 Verno

Elessar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:53:
Okay I'll say it. It looks awful. But I'm sure a lot of people said that about Minecraft initially and that turned out pretty good. Only thing I can't really get past is it looks worse than Minecraft and is clearly using Minecraft tech judging from the wooden blocks, crosshair, etc.

Still, they're prototypes and we don't know how it plays. So I'll reserve full judgement. Just not sure these screenshots were really worth releasing.

I don't know, normally I'm on the "graphics don't matter" side of things but I have to agree with others here that people love their spiffy visuals in space games. It's not like they can't afford to start doing better either.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

7. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:21 Mad Max RW

I'm not sure what he's trying to show off here. It looks like placeholder stuff for testing the lighting engine. Why even waste time posting this?  

6. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:15 J

Minecraft in space?  

5. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:15 panbient

Elessar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:53:
Still, they're prototypes and we don't know how it plays. So I'll reserve full judgement. Just not sure these screenshots were really worth releasing.

Prototype or not, losing 1000FPS by applying a handful of low quality textures is concerning. Same as the loss of 1000FPS between the 1st and 2nd screens where the only difference seems to be looking at the center of the room as opposed to the top right corner and increasing the brightness so you can actually see that you're in an rather empty room...

4. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 Wildone

you HAD to bring up Derek Smart didn't you?! *hides under a table*  

3. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 10:57 InBlack

A space game has to LOOK good first and foremost. Lego Space is not gonna cut it Notch. Hell even Derek Smart understood this ages ago....  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 10:54 Cutter

I can understand being an indie guy with no money and making a game that, while it may or may not be fun, it's going to look like shit. It's another thing when you've got money, can afford to do much better and it still looks like shit. Does this guy just have no appreciation for visuals? Is he just cheap? You know, things can be "fun" and look nice too. Otherwise men wouldn't want to sleep with models.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 10:53 Elessar

Okay I'll say it. It looks awful. But I'm sure a lot of people said that about Minecraft initially and that turned out pretty good. Only thing I can't really get past is it looks worse than Minecraft and is clearly using Minecraft tech judging from the wooden blocks, crosshair, etc.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo