Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 23:17 Scud

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:24:
I wouldn't pirate books. Ever.

I'll start paying for e-books once the publishers stop insulting my intelligence by insisting that virtual books are worth as much as physical ones. It's price gouging, plain and simple.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 19:53 The Half Elf

I would love to buy Red Dead Redemption GOTY digitally for my 360 so I wouldn't have to deal with a disc and I would never trade it in, but there is no option for it. Also I would love to trade in a few other games for digital copies so I always have them, but it just ain't happening.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 16:15 Prez

The idea is sound (something I've actually been wanting for a while), but the execution is abysmal.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 14:55 Ozmodan

Wow, I would not touch that service with a 20 foot pole. Designed like someone's worst nightmare.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 14:24 Beamer

Shok wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:53:
As long as the pirated version is better there is no incentive to buy as far as I'm concerned. Case in point: last night I thought I would try finding a song I heard on the radio to download. I googled some verses and found the artist and name. Since I was on my kindle fire I decided to see if Amazon had the song at a decent price. They did ($5 for the 12 song album) so I bought it. I definitely would not have bought it if it was DRM'd and only played on my kindle fire or if I felt I was being price gouged (I'm looking at you e-books).

I wouldn't pirate books. Ever. It doesn't hurt the publisher so much as the author.
On the flip side, I guess it convinces authors to try to go around publishers, and in a 100% ebook world publishers more or less exist solely to help readers sort through crap (while publishers put out crap they still don't fall into the depths many of the self published books do) and to help authors deal with legal issues (Hollywood is likely to license a published book but would be more apt to just rip off a self published one.)

Minor things at best.

As for this Walmart thing, it's going nowhere. Distributors have come up with dozens of solutions that make content creators happy but hit with a resounding thud with end users. See: DivX.
They start out well meaning, typically, but the value proposition dies on the consumer end before content companies agree to it. On the plus side it gets content creators a bit more warmed up to something better.

Hollywood will figure a solution soon. DVDs and BluRay are dying. Netflix will follow them to the grave, a casualty of being squeezed out before they built up proper bargaining power. Something will show up that retains the ease of Netflix but results in more money for content distributors. $8/month unlimited isn't cutting it. Still thinking we'll move to movies as a service rather than ownership or a la carte, and I'd guess it would fall to $15.

That number, by the way, is speculation, but I think consumers have issues going above $9.99 and content creators cringe at even $19.99, but both may be willing to split the difference. Impetus is really on content creators here, who are afraid of new methods and pricing letting a genie out of a bottle but are seeing the old methods drying up.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 13:53 Shok

As long as the pirated version is better there is no incentive to buy as far as I'm concerned. Case in point: last night I thought I would try finding a song I heard on the radio to download. I googled some verses and found the artist and name. Since I was on my kindle fire I decided to see if Amazon had the song at a decent price. They did ($5 for the 12 song album) so I bought it. I definitely would not have bought it if it was DRM'd and only played on my kindle fire or if I felt I was being price gouged (I'm looking at you e-books).  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2012, 12:35 Dev

Make sure you read this about the downsides of ultraviolet before you run to convert all your dvds:
Text for your Link

Such as the $2 per dvd only covers the first year, after that fees. Its DRM heavy. No androids supported. No HD supported on ipad. Fees can be charged if you download more than 3 times. Lots of other cases fee's can be applied too. Region restricted, so you are screwed if you travel. Oh also, they put a permanent ugly stamp on your DVD if you do it. No idea if it screws up double sided media.

Basically this is **AA's dream plan to charge consumers again and again for the same content, and throw DRM on top of it to restrict your use.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo