Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock

The Legend of Grimrock Website announces the release of Almost Human's dungeon crawler, which is available at a 10% discount from their site, GOG.com and Steam. Here's a release trailer, and here's a bit on the game:

Legend of Grimrock is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captors, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.

The game brings back the oldschool challenge with highly tactical real-time combat and grid-based movement, devious hidden switches and secrets as well as deadly traps and horrible monsters. Legend of Grimrock puts an emphasis on puzzles and exploration and the wits and perception of the player are more important tools than even the sharpest of swords could be. And if you are a hardened dungeon crawling veteran and you crave an extra challenge, you can arm yourself with a stack of grid paper and turn on the Oldschool Mode which disables the luxury of the automap! Are you ready to venture forth and unravel the mysteries of Mount Grimrock?

View
142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

82. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:23 spindoctor

InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 06:07:

Erm, as far as I know (I read it in a review) you can experiment and try to 'guess' spells before you 'know' them. But thanks for the rest of the info.

That is partially correct. As you level up your various skills, you can unlock the ability to use a specific spell even if you haven't found the scroll to learn the rune configuration required to cast it. But you will have to randomly try various combinations of runes until you can discover that, and that can get very tedious.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:12 nin

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:03:
Morgan19 wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:58:
Watching TotalBiscuit's WTF video on it now... I understand there's a bit of mouselooking in the game, but is the Y axis reversible? (Nothing throws me off more than being stuck with a "wrong" Y axis in mouselook.)

*checks* It has Invert Vertical option, so yeah, it has that option.

Yep, one of the first options I changed.

I do wish there was a volume slider for the music...maybe some day.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

80. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:06 Necrophob

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:03:
Watching TotalBiscuit's WTF video on it now... I understand there's a bit of mouselooking in the game, but is the Y axis reversible? (Nothing throws me off more than being stuck with a "wrong" Y axis in mouselook.)

It has mouselook, but to me it's sort of a novelty. You can use it to turn around, but I find using the keys to be much better.

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:03 ASeven

78. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:58 Morgan19

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:44 Beamer

Just bought it based upon this thread and video posted on the first page.

Looks worth $13.99, easily.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:41 Verno

It's a 15-20 hour game with an option for more in the future at a very reasonable price, I'm surprised anyone is waiting for reviews or whatever. If you don't like this style of dungeon crawler then hey fair enough, this won't change your mind.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:37 ASeven

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:22:
So, none of those come with the version purchased directly from steam. but if I buy it from them I get those and a steam key? Interesting.

And you also get a direct download as well. Do buy it, this game is worth every single penny and perhaps even more considering that its longevity will be huge once the modtools are out.

What a rare thing to say nowadays, a game where one would happily have paid more money for it, but this is one of those rare cases. What an awesome game.

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:22 Dev

Aside from saying the spell system sucks, and one guy who didn't know the kinda game it is, everyone here loves it. Thats unusual.

I was going to wait for it to go on a big steam sale, I dunno if I can wait now
Krovven wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:39:
Edit: Of course there is also the bonus stuff that came from ordering directly, that at least currently is not on Steam.
What extras? The DRM free download, anything else?

Edit:
The game comes with the following extras:
- A beautifully crafted game manual
- Legend of Grimrock world map
- Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs
- Grimrock theme music
- Wallpapers
- Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
- Team photo

So, none of those come with the version purchased directly from steam. but if I buy it from them I get those and a steam key? Interesting.

Edit 2:
I think they are just undocumented in steam (which is silly, they'd probably get even more downloads if they talked about it on steam description)
The extras are in:
..\Steam\steamapps\common\legend of grimrock\extras

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2012, 10:10.

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:20 nin

I finally got to play it after contacting the Almost Human and Humble Bundle support to find out why I was never sent a link to my key and download. A couple of hours after emailing them my PayPal transaction ID's they found my payment, but don't know why it didn't create a link for me. They finally sent me a gift key link until they get the problem sorted out.

I just had enough time to load the default characters and dick around the first level, then I stopped and created my custom party before I had to quit. I just finished playing the first three levels and I want more, but it will have to wait.

Glad they got back to you quickly.

I started with a premade party last night, just to try things out and see how the game felt, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to restart tonight and roll my own group.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:11 Verno

Bucky wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 01:24:
Just make sure there aren't any monsters nearby. I woke up to an unpleasant surprise....

Additionally the blue crystals can be used to resurrect more than once, not sure how the limit is set but I just used one on the same level twice.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:11 headkase

I've put about 45 minutes into Grimrock so far, default party. Verdict? Bleeping awesome, just bleeping awesome!  

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 08:11 SpectralMeat

Overon wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 07:11:
I need to see more gameplay videos!
Check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIiXx-8BHc

Steam: SpectralMeat

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 07:11 Overon

I need to see more gameplay videos!  

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 06:46 jimnms

I finally got to play it after contacting the Almost Human and Humble Bundle support to find out why I was never sent a link to my key and download. A couple of hours after emailing them my PayPal transaction ID's they found my payment, but don't know why it didn't create a link for me. They finally sent me a gift key link until they get the problem sorted out.

I just had enough time to load the default characters and dick around the first level, then I stopped and created my custom party before I had to quit. I just finished playing the first three levels and I want more, but it will have to wait.

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:02:
edit: Sorry for crapping up the launch thread. Game looks great for the 10 seconds it runs before locking my video card... I need to hurry to kill the process so that it doesn't eventually bluescreen if I let it go.
Hardware troubleshooting is a bitch. I suggest you beg/borrow/steal spare video, HD, RAM and try them one at a time to see what fixes it. You can also try a stress testing program like OCCT that can stress individual parts of the system. I had one system a while back that locked up only with one game. It turned out to be the PSU. This was before Steam, and for some reason just that one game would lock up the system during the CD check.

My previous system had a PSU go bad, and when it did it messed something up on the MB. It would run fine for months, then start giving me blue screens on start up. All I had to do was open the case, unplug the SATA cable, plug it back in and it was fine for a few months. I still have that system, it's about 6 years old (video card is 3), but it can still run some games.

MeanJim on Steam

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 06:07 InBlack

spindoctor wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 05:49:
InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 03:49:

Anyone know how to change the school of spells in the rune menu? So far my spells are fizzling, Im experimenting but maybe Im doing it with a school I have no points in.

You assign skill points to the various schools of magic (fire, earth, air etc.) at the time of character creation and at every level up. The runes are the same for all schools, it's just the combinations that vary. You can only cast a spell in a certain school if you have at least 2 points in that school, and most spells will have a higher requirement. You also have to learn the spell before casting it.

Erm, as far as I know (I read it in a review) you can experiment and try to 'guess' spells before you 'know' them. But thanks for the rest of the info.

I have a nifty blue line!

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 05:49 spindoctor

InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 03:49:

Anyone know how to change the school of spells in the rune menu? So far my spells are fizzling, Im experimenting but maybe Im doing it with a school I have no points in.

You assign skill points to the various schools of magic (fire, earth, air etc.) at the time of character creation and at every level up. The runes are the same for all schools, it's just the combinations that vary. You can only cast a spell in a certain school if you have at least 2 points in that school, and most spells will have a higher requirement. You also have to learn the spell before casting it.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 04:05 Beelzebud

I've also had no problems with this game on my ATI card. Using the very latest non-beta driver.

Great game. It's great to see the re-awakening that has been happening lately. It turns out those games we all loved in the late 90's were actually fun. Thank goodness for the indie gaming scene. The best titles are coming from the small shops these days.

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 03:52 InBlack

BTW I have an ATI card and the game works great, it could be an issue with a specific manufacturer.  

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 03:49 InBlack

Loving the game, too bad it unlocked rather late for me yesterday and I couldnt get to play for more than 45 minutes or thereabouts before band practice. Just about enough to create my kickass party (Minotaur Fighter, Human Fighter, Insectoid Mage, Lizardman Rogue) and kill (and eat) my first snail. The Minotaur liked the crunchy bits...

I strongly recommend creating your own party from scratch.

Even though I bought the game as a stopgap between now and D3, I have a feeling Im going to plow through it and will want more afterwards!!!!

From what Ive read on the site the mod tools wont be that robust, they will release them in stages but the simple smooth engine is probably a dream to work in and textures, monsters and the like should be a piece of cake...

If you like gameplay driven RPGs, especially old-school RPGs this game is for you! Dont think about it, buy it now.

142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo