Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock

The Legend of Grimrock Website announces the release of Almost Human's dungeon crawler, which is available at a 10% discount from their site, GOG.com and Steam. Here's a release trailer, and here's a bit on the game:

Legend of Grimrock is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captors, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.

The game brings back the oldschool challenge with highly tactical real-time combat and grid-based movement, devious hidden switches and secrets as well as deadly traps and horrible monsters. Legend of Grimrock puts an emphasis on puzzles and exploration and the wits and perception of the player are more important tools than even the sharpest of swords could be. And if you are a hardened dungeon crawling veteran and you crave an extra challenge, you can arm yourself with a stack of grid paper and turn on the Oldschool Mode which disables the luxury of the automap! Are you ready to venture forth and unravel the mysteries of Mount Grimrock?

View
142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

102. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:59 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:41:
But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

What reputation?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

101. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:41 nin

But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

100. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:40 Alamar

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:29:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:45:
If EA had published it, it wouldn't be DRM free, it would be 2 hours long, and it would have cost $50 at release. And a year after release, the studio that made it would be let go. Or renamed to Bioware Finland.

Straw man argument. You basically read what I said and proceeded to completely disregard it.

If they did that, you'd have reason to complain. But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

I've put a bit of time into LoG myself... it is quite good. Still has its rough edges, but it does, as the Brits are fond of saying, what it says on the tin. Definitely a worthwhile scratching of a nostalgic itch, now to see just how deep this rabbit hole actually goes...

I think the fact (and argument around) it is by an indie developer isn't purely the reasoning... It's more the other aspect... Indie title are typically cheaper...

If this were an indie title priced at $50, I wouldn't have picked it up, and if I had, I would be disappointed...

If it were an EA title at $15, I don't think things would be much different, for me, but I would have expected more...

So essentially, I agree, but think the cost is more of a factor than that it's labelled 'indie', especially in these times when some big big companies label their shit as 'indie' : )

Oh and yay 100 : )

-Alamar

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:29 killer_roach

If EA had published it, it wouldn't be DRM free, it would be 2 hours long, and it would have cost $50 at release. And a year after release, the studio that made it would be let go. Or renamed to Bioware Finland.

Straw man argument. You basically read what I said and proceeded to completely disregard it.

If they did that, you'd have reason to complain. But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

I've put a bit of time into LoG myself... it is quite good. Still has its rough edges, but it does, as the Brits are fond of saying, what it says on the tin. Definitely a worthwhile scratching of a nostalgic itch, now to see just how deep this rabbit hole actually goes...

98. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:22 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:28:
Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:24:
Another thing to note... Falling down trap holes can be beneficial

-Alamar

Really? I haven't fallen down any - what exactly do you/can you get from falling in them?

I haven't been in each one, but you can get gear (there is even a note somewhere that tells you something is down one), as well as an achievement (that I believe can be gotten no other way), if you care about that sort of thing

-Alamar

97. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:03 nin

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:28:
InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:27:
Where are all those goddamn trolls who keep sayin:

'What a bunch of whiny loosers you Bluesnewsers are...'

now? This game has passed the Bluesnews test, it has recieved universal acclaim on these boards meaning its actually a fun and well made game.

Yeah we whine a lot about games, shitty fucked up games mostly that usually dont even deserve the whine they get.

Only because it was an indie. If nothing else changed about the game, and EA was publishing, you'd all be raising hell.

Post of the day!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

96. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:28 Bhruic

Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:24:

-Alamar

Really? I haven't fallen down any - what exactly do you/can you get from falling in them?

95. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:24 Alamar

-Alamar

94. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:17 ASeven

Necrophob wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:48:
ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:39:
Time to start spoiled discussions since I'm sure a lot of us have gone a good way into the game by now. Highlight below for spoiler

Who else found the secret room right at the first room when you start playing the game?

Speaking of spoilers:

The room with the pressure plate in the middle was obviously a trap, but who else was surprised when it turned out to be 4 of the skeleton warriors. Before that, the game was pretty easy.

Actually there's quite some neat loot in that room.

93. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:16 Orogogus

There was some minor complaining here and elsewhere from people who were apparently expecting and hoping for a Wizardry/Bard's Tale/Might & Magic turn-based crawler, which I think is a little silly. There have been a fair number of recent turn-based crawlers (albeit mostly on consoles and handhelds) while the last real-time one was... Stonekeep? I can't think of newer one. And I didn't even like Stonekeep (although EotB 1 & 2 were aces).

Also, I'm not a fan of the magic system. Yes, it's the same as Dungeon Master. It's still bad. I don't know why anyone would make players find recipes and then not randomize them. The game is downloadable, so it's not like they haven't heard of the Internet.

Also, the game sure lets you put points into skills (e.g., bows) that you're not going to get to use for a fairly long time. The system seems a little more vulnerable to min-maxing than most.

92. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:13 Alamar

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:11:
Bucky wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 01:24:
Just make sure there aren't any monsters nearby. I woke up to an unpleasant surprise....

Additionally the blue crystals can be used to resurrect more than once, not sure how the limit is set but I just used one on the same level twice.

No limit, just a cooldown...

-Alamar

91. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:56 Dev

BTW, when making a party, DON'T FORGET to name the mfers. I forgot to name one, and its bugging me. They should have default name of something other than NEW PRISONER.

There, I found something to complain about for the whiners about lack of whining.

Sure I'm being punished for something that's my fault in the first place, but I'm still going to complain

Then again, it was my rogue, so I'll just pretend I meant to do it that way, and its just a rogue with a secret history and shes the kind who never gives out her name and doesn't even speak much.

90. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:52 Dev

I just got this. Yeah it is fun. I wish there was a 180 swing to look behind you button though

now? This game has passed the Bluesnews test, it has recieved universal acclaim on these boards meaning its actually a fun and well made game.

Yeah we whine a lot about games, shitty fucked up games mostly that usually dont even deserve the whine they get.

Only because it was an indie. If nothing else changed about the game, and EA was publishing, you'd all be raising hell.

Yep, and we'd be justified in voicing complaints about each of those too.

89. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:50 Dev

Time to start spoiled discussions since I'm sure a lot of us have gone a good way into the game by now. Highlight below for spoiler

Who else found the secret room right at the first room when you start playing the game?

Me, but
only after I went back and scoured the rooms I had already been after the hint for the first one

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:48 Necrophob

Speaking of spoilers:

The room with the pressure plate in the middle was obviously a trap, but who else was surprised when it turned out to be 4 of the skeleton warriors. Before that, the game was pretty easy.

87. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:45 Necrophob

86. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 Bhruic

I did, it was almost literally the first thing I did. Turn around and spot the hidden button. But I wouldn't have noticed it, likely, if I hadn't watched the TotalBiscuit WTF - the buttons tend to be similar.

On the other hand, I seem to already be stuck - stupid hidden keys!

edit: lol - I actually watched the part of the wtf which showed where the key was. Doh!

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:28 killer_roach

84. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:39 ASeven

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 10:27 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo