Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock

The Legend of Grimrock Website announces the release of Almost Human's dungeon crawler, which is available at a 10% discount from their site, GOG.com and Steam. Here's a release trailer, and here's a bit on the game:

Legend of Grimrock is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captors, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.

The game brings back the oldschool challenge with highly tactical real-time combat and grid-based movement, devious hidden switches and secrets as well as deadly traps and horrible monsters. Legend of Grimrock puts an emphasis on puzzles and exploration and the wits and perception of the player are more important tools than even the sharpest of swords could be. And if you are a hardened dungeon crawling veteran and you crave an extra challenge, you can arm yourself with a stack of grid paper and turn on the Oldschool Mode which disables the luxury of the automap! Are you ready to venture forth and unravel the mysteries of Mount Grimrock?

View
142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

122. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 20:12 Sepharo

jimnms wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 06:46:
You can also try a stress testing program like OCCT that can stress individual parts of the system. I had one system a while back that locked up only with one game. It turned out to be the PSU. This was before Steam, and for some reason just that one game would lock up the system during the CD check.

My previous system had a PSU go bad, and when it did it messed something up on the MB. It would run fine for months, then start giving me blue screens on start up. All I had to do was open the case, unplug the SATA cable, plug it back in and it was fine for a few months. I still have that system, it's about 6 years old (video card is 3), but it can still run some games.

I appreciate the advice and had been wondering myself if it was a PSU issue. But this only happens to me on two games. Why just these two games do I have this nearly exact behavior? You would think that stuff like Metro 2033 and BF3 being played at max would also crash my card but I handle everything else just fine.

This sort of reminds me when TF2 (and other source games) constantly told me I had an issue with my paged pool memory. And there were all these fixes and guides about how to get rid of that but they would never work for me. Valve would release a patch and it would go away, then months later they'd release another patch and it would come back. My system was fine and played everything else fine but something special about the configuration or settings I had caused that issue that couldn't be fixed.

Even though I didn't mean to I spent all day (after work and until bed) on this yesterday and I'm not going to do that today. I'll wait for a few patches I suppose

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 19:24 Dev

Wolfen wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 18:51:
Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:45:
What? No vendor? But how am I going to collect everything I find, store it in chests, and sell it for profit? It goes against my nature not to pick up everything in sight

Heh this reminded me of what I used to do in EOB1 and 2. Found a nice room, started dropping everything in nice piles sorted out by type. I could always go back and grab something I needed. I don't know yet if this game lets you back track from level to level, but it worked great in the EOB series.
So far, yes you can travel between levels. So yeah that's a good idea. Pick a room per level or two and unload, go back if needed.

Since you can annotate the in game map (unless you are playing hardcore with no map), you can even click on the map to put a note, so you can mention where you dropped everything.

120. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 18:51 Wolfen

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:45:
BTW, where can I get skulls from?
Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:38:
I reacted in typical old school rpg/adventure game fashion... I grabbed every shield and spear... But there is no vendor to offload this stuff heh...

I still have a bunch of crap (armor mostly) that I'll likely never use, but haven't purged yet..

-Alamar
What? No vendor? But how am I going to collect everything I find, store it in chests, and sell it for profit? It goes against my nature not to pick up everything in sight

Heh this reminded me of what I used to do in EOB1 and 2. Found a nice room, started dropping everything in nice piles sorted out by type. I could always go back and grab something I needed. I don't know yet if this game lets you back track from level to level, but it worked great in the EOB series.

119. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 17:40 Zoom

I have spent a few hours in it already. Loved every minute. Tip: play with headphones or good surround setup. You can hear the footsteps just like in good ol dungeon master. And just that is fantastic. Hear hear modern game developers: a good audio setup is a solid way to give your game great atmosphere.
Alright, returning to it.

118. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 17:04 DrEvil

Great game! Totally worth the purchase. Buy it now if you already haven't!  

117. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 16:52 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:05:
Dammit, updating video drivers didn't help, toggling between no vsync, vsync, and triple buffered didn't help either.

Two fuckin games I paid for now with this problem. Wish I knew what it was.

nVidia card here; no problems.

That said, I imagine if you provide as much info as you can to the developers, they can get AMD to fix their damn drivers.

116. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 16:31 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:44:
Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:39:
I also can't remember Almost Human screwing their fans over recently (such as saying you have to get the sequel to grimrock to get some bugs fixed), or screwing over their employees so much they had to class action lawsuit them.

Neither of which has anything to do with the games themselves, just your perception of them.
Actually, patching very much has to do with a game itself, which is why I mentioned it specifically as an example to counter what you said after reading it.

115. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 16:17 Orogogus

everyone wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:03:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:16:
There have been a fair number of recent turn-based crawlers (albeit mostly on consoles and handhelds) while the last real-time one was...
Arx Fatalis?

Well, maybe. It wasn't grid based, and I tend to think of it and Ultima Underworld as different beasts from Dungeon Master/EotB/Stonekeep. The line between action RPGs and fantasy shooters starts to blur. But there's an argument to be made for at least some of them.

114. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:44 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:39:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:08:
Well I'd argue I can't remember EA doing something like this recently:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/129492/

When I saw blue post that, I thought it was a very neat thing to do.

I also can't remember Almost Human screwing their fans over recently (such as saying you have to get the sequel to grimrock to get some bugs fixed), or screwing over their employees so much they had to class action lawsuit them.

Neither of which has anything to do with the games themselves, just your perception of them.

113. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:39 Dev

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:08:

When I saw blue post that, I thought it was a very neat thing to do.

112. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:08 nin

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:50:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:30:
Any. They don't have the baggage and mistrust associated with EA. All they have to do is deliver a quality product, and they're miles ahead.

I'd argue that EA's reputation is largely undeserved (not that I'm saying I necessarily approve of their actions all the time, but those are things that affect my value perceptions of their products, not really impacting purchasing decisions), and you're too trusting of a developer who has no track record, but to each their own.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

111. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:05 killer_roach

everyone wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:03:
There have been a fair number of recent turn-based crawlers (albeit mostly on consoles and handhelds) while the last real-time one was...
Arx Fatalis?

Probably right on that one. Damn, I loved that game.

110. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:03 everyone

Arx Fatalis?

109. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:50 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:30:
Any. They don't have the baggage and mistrust associated with EA. All they have to do is deliver a quality product, and they're miles ahead.

I'd argue that EA's reputation is largely undeserved (not that I'm saying I necessarily approve of their actions all the time, but those are things that affect my value perceptions of their products, not really impacting purchasing decisions), and you're too trusting of a developer who has no track record, but to each their own.

108. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:45 Dev

BTW, where can I get skulls from?
Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:38:
I reacted in typical old school rpg/adventure game fashion... I grabbed every shield and spear... But there is no vendor to offload this stuff heh...

I still have a bunch of crap (armor mostly) that I'll likely never use, but haven't purged yet..

-Alamar

107. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:38 Alamar

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:18:
ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:12:
Tip: You can use spears on the back characters as normal weapons.
I'm guessing anything that says REACH can be used like that.

A good tip... My 'throwing weapons' character is nearly always using the spear, because throwing weapons are in such short supply (and opening the inventory to grab a new/different stack takes too long)...

The first few Undead Skellies I killed, I reacted in typical old school rpg/adventure game fashion... I grabbed every shield and spear... But there is no vendor to offload this stuff heh...

-Alamar

106. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:30 nin

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:59:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:41:
But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

What reputation?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

105. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:18 Dev

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:12:
I'm guessing anything that says REACH can be used like that.

104. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:12 ASeven

103. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:03 Alamar

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:59:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:41:
But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

What reputation?

I assume you mean the Grimrock developers... but that's only half the equation...

Let's say they start at 0, because they're unknown (I still don't know the name)... But since EA is at -10275097812346071235, the Grimrock developers have a much higher rep : )

-Alamar

142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo