Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls GFWL Petition

Following today's announcement of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for Windows, which was supported by a petition, a new petition is now online to protest the plan to use Games for Windows LIVE (thanks Reddit). Here's word:

GFWL is unpopular, difficult to use, inconvenient, has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls), and is downright unpleasant. After anxiously awaiting a PC release for this fantastic game it feels like a real slap in the face hearing Dark Souls will use Games for Windows Live. We recommend Valve's Steamworks in place, as this DRM is much easier to use, less intrusive, more reliable, and more accepted among PC gamers. Please reconsider the use of GFWL, or offer the game on both services. Thank you for taking the effort to port this game, but for a lot of customers it's Steam or no sale.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:10 NKD

You know, there's a lot of debate about how broken GFWL is, but that debate really misses the real point: Even if it worked 100% of the time, it has little to no redeeming value. I don't really see anyone saying "I really love these features about GFWL, it adds a lot to games!"

It's just an annoyance. A tolerable one for most, but still a useless annoyance.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:09 Sepharo

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:05:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:46:
I'm pretty sure he's not talking about save files disappearing when he reformats/builds a new PC.

And average joe computer user shouldn't have to drill down into AppData anyway.

Granted, but I have never had a save disapear on me. And Microsoft GFWL is not the only company that uses the AppData folder to save files in and the save games.

Yeah tons of stuff saves to AppData, I guess I don't really see your point. Your earlier post made it seem like the reason people lose saves is because they don't know about AppData. If only those fools knew that they were supposed to back up their AppData folder!

22. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:05 Darks

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about save files disappearing when he reformats/builds a new PC.

Granted, but I have never had a save disapear on me. And Microsoft GFWL is not the only company that uses the AppData folder to save files in and the save games.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

21. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 21:54 Dades

Average joe shouldn't have his encrypted saves eaten by GFWL either. GFWL has always been a half baked abortion, you know its shit when the best people can say about it is that sometimes it works. If the Fallout 3 DLC debacle wasn't enough then people can use google to read about all of the various issues.

At least this game won't need the interface exposed, it's all done in the background. Hopefully they can manage to avoid fucking that simple bit up.

20. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 21:46 Sepharo

19. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 21:42 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:41:
Lot's of people use GFWL with no issues, I get that.

Then GFWL eats one of their save files. Those people then join us on the light side.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

The problem is most people donít understand how GFWL uses the AppData Directory to store their files. Many people will rebuild and blow away their hard drive not realizing that in the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLiveLive directory your saves and setting are stored there. This is what needs to be backed up If you back this folder up in the AppData and the one in the Roaming you WILL NOT lose your saves.

I love how you guys all pile on and complain about GFWL and donít know a damn thing about it or how it functions nor do many of you know where your files are being saved. I personally have never had issues with GFWL, yes itís not a clean as Steam but it does work.

And good luck with your petition, contracts have been signed and deals made. It wont happen.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

18. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 21:09 Paketep

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 19:39:
I have a bunch of GFWL games and they all work flawlessly.

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:04:
Wow seriously? They are making an enhanced edition with extra content and they still find a reason to complain?

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it. Oh wait people love to complain. I have 25 hours with Arkham City, around 90 with Dawn of War 2 and 60 hours with Fallout 3 and zero problems. In fact I never had those annoying connection timed out errors I have with Steam.

And gamers wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

Lucky you, guys. But, you know?. Just because GFWL has worked correctly for both of you doesn't make it any less of a piece of shit. And many of us have had lots of problems with it.

Gamers aren't taken seriously because, to begin with, some gamers think like "hey, this doesn't happen to me, so THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN".

Do you really think GFWL has the fame it has because gamers "like to complain"?. Boy, some of you look like you're competing on some "best publisher apologist contest" lately.

17. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:46 Sepharo

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:41:

Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble!
80 year old meme

16. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:41 NegaDeath

Lot's of people use GFWL with no issues, I get that.

Then GFWL eats one of their save files. Those people then join us on the light side.

15. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:39 bigspender

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 19:46:
I honestly believe that GTA4, Relic's 40k RTS series etc have used it well

GFWL didn't let me play co-op on my own LAN with GTA4 - I contacted MS aswell as rockstar and they said that GFWL didn't support this features. GG

We couldn't even join other people's games on the internet - since we were using the same connection to get to those servers - it would simple kick the other person off.

its a piece of shit.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

14. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:23 Cutter

Jus shut up and sign it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:13 eRe4s3r

Yeah, nothing like 5 crashes in a row because retareded GFWL refuses to auto-update properly, then updates to the GOD DAMN WRONG VERSION for x64 so it can't boot, then having to uninstall that and installed the actual games for windows setup from microsoft.com by hand, logging in that, then starting Batman , then having it auto-update and NOT crash instantly, then hoping it actually updates and then finally be in the game, only to discover that all your profiles are gone because all the time it logged in to something but certainly not the online profile.

Arkham City gave me so many problems with GFWL that I fully understand the hate it gets. Even now I can't even *start* the game without MANUALLY starting GFW, yes, the marketplace app which has absolutely no relation to GFWL, but is required for it to not instantly crash on startup (of the game)

12. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:12 nin

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it.

Thank goodness you don't speak for everyone, then!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:11 Sepharo

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:04:
Wow seriously? They are making an enhanced edition with extra content and they still find a reason to complain?

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it. Oh wait people love to complain. I have 25 hours with Arkham City, around 90 with Dawn of War 2 and 60 hours with Fallout 3 and zero problems. In fact I never had those annoying connection timed out errors I have with Steam.

Wow you've never had issues with GFWL but have had timeouts with Steam, and I've never had issues with Steamworks but have had account and connection problems with GFWL.

We're like yin and yang!

10. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 20:04 Rattlehead

9. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 19:59 Dades

People are understandably worried but you don't interact with the GFWL multiplayer interface in that game. You summon people in the world to your world, you would never have to interact with GFWL other than having a login. It supports UPNP so long as they do their job in porting properly then you should never have a problem with it or even see it.

The game will probably be on Steam too, many GFWL games are already.

8. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 19:48 Sempai

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 19:39:
I have a bunch of GFWL games and they all work flawlessly.

Pics or it didnt happen.
Seriously, i do not believe you.

7. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 19:48 Icewind

I do too, but they have a couple of problems that irk me. Namely, one big one:

Can't log into live due to network problems? then you can't log into your profile and therefore lose access to your saved games and all bought DLC.

6. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 19:46 The Half Elf

I think the implementation of GFWL all comes down to the dev/publisher using it (at least for multiplayer matchmaking).

I honestly believe that GTA4, Relic's 40k RTS series etc have used it well (except that GTA4 had that stupid Social Club on top of it), and really don't mind it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 19:44 nin

Good luck to em. Won't bother with it if they insist on GFMFWL.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo