Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls GFWL Petition

Following today's announcement of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for Windows, which was supported by a petition, a new petition is now online to protest the plan to use Games for Windows LIVE (thanks Reddit). Here's word:

GFWL is unpopular, difficult to use, inconvenient, has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls), and is downright unpleasant. After anxiously awaiting a PC release for this fantastic game it feels like a real slap in the face hearing Dark Souls will use Games for Windows Live. We recommend Valve's Steamworks in place, as this DRM is much easier to use, less intrusive, more reliable, and more accepted among PC gamers. Please reconsider the use of GFWL, or offer the game on both services. Thank you for taking the effort to port this game, but for a lot of customers it's Steam or no sale.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 09:14 Kristian Joensen

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:04:
Wow seriously? They are making an enhanced edition with extra content and they still find a reason to complain?

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it. Oh wait people love to complain. I have 25 hours with Arkham City, around 90 with Dawn of War 2 and 60 hours with Fallout 3 and zero problems. In fact I never had those annoying connection timed out errors I have with Steam.

And gamers wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

People don't tend to complain because YOU have had issues they tend to complain because THEY have had issues. You not having issues is irrelevant. I am glad that you have been spared some of the nasty issues I and others have had with GFWL. But that doesn't make those issues go away. GFWL is a piece of crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 08:58 SXO

I would even prefer EA's Origin or Ubisoft's Uplay over Microsoft's GFWL. I've had serious issues with GFWL numerous times, aside from just how annoying the basic functionality is.  

42. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 08:46 theyarecomingforyou

GFWL doesn't remember serial keys, makes backing up saved games a nightmare, takes ages to login and I've had several games end up with corrupted saves (GTA4, Batman:AA). It doesn't even save game progress to the cloud. And whenever it needs to update itself it takes ages, before kicking you out of the game to restart. Thanks. If offers no advantages to me, only disadvantages.

Steam on the otherhand has been great. It's far from perfect but at least it offers some genuine benefits to the end user.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

41. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 08:34 Eccentric

It was only semi annoying in DOW2. I've also had Bioshock 2 problems, thought it was just me.

After GFWL updated itself repeatedly in a fairly confusing manner it now crashes every time I launch the game (this is on a brand new Win 7-64 machine). Windows switches to the desktop while it 'searches for a solution', I just alt-tab back. Fortunately B2 is still running and playable otherwise it'd be infuriating.

Yay for GFWL.

40. Re: not surprising coming from you Apr 12, 2012, 08:31 InBlack

AdamK47 wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 07:58:
InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 03:58:
Signed. Only complete douchebags have something positive to say about GFWL. Or Nazis. Or both.

I don't have problems with Games For Windows Live. You whiners can suck it! Suck it I say!

Yeah suck up that corporate trash, it tastes like shit but if you imagine and try real hard it will taste like the best thing in the world.

I have a nifty blue line!

39. Re: not surprising coming from you Apr 12, 2012, 07:58 AdamK47

InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 03:58:
Signed. Only complete douchebags have something positive to say about GFWL. Or Nazis. Or both.

I don't have problems with Games For Windows Live. You whiners can suck it! Suck it I say!

38. Re: not surprising coming from you Apr 12, 2012, 03:58 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: not surprising coming from you Apr 12, 2012, 02:25 Sepharo

IMAPC wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 01:39:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:11:
I've never had issues with Steamworks...
That only proves that you've never used Steam during the release day of a popular game
or during the release of a large game update for a popular game
or during a popular sale
or during a free weekend trial of a popular game
or during regular or unscheduled Steam network maintenance
or...

Anyone who says they have never had a problem using Steam either has hardly used Steam, is a lying or delusional fanboy, or has a really poor memory. Judging from your nerdy, pudgy baby-face, it's fanboy in your case.

I guess I don't just use it much. But my CS settings go through Steam cloud and I play CS all day. But not many other games despite buying a bunch. My game list is open to view and it shows the hours on them right?

36. not surprising coming from you Apr 12, 2012, 01:39 IMAPC

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:11:
I've never had issues with Steamworks...
That only proves that you've never used Steam during the release day of a popular game
or during the release of a large game update for a popular game
or during a popular sale
or during a free weekend trial of a popular game
or during regular or unscheduled Steam network maintenance
or...

Anyone who says they have never had a problem using Steam either has hardly used Steam, is a lying or delusional fanboy, or has a really poor memory. Judging from your nerdy, pudgy baby-face, it's fanboy in your case.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2012, 02:10.

35. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 01:05 Pete

GFWL sucks. The game on the other hand was great on the ps3. Although there were times when I actually yelled at my tv.  
Doin' it Big

34. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 00:43 NegaDeath

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:42:
The problem is most people donít understand how GFWL uses the AppData Directory to store their files. Many people will rebuild and blow away their hard drive not realizing that in the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLiveLive directory your saves and setting are stored there. This is what needs to be backed up If you back this folder up in the AppData and the one in the Roaming you WILL NOT lose your saves.

I love how you guys all pile on and complain about GFWL etc etc

As others said I am not talking about losing saves after a format. And on that note I always back up the entire user tree when doing a wipe anyways. I have had deleted game issues on Fallout 3 and Arkham Asylum. I save my game, come back later, not there. Hours lost, and I am not alone. I also had GFWL program issues on Bioshock 2. Those are the only three GFWL games I own, so that's a 0% success rate. Yes I understand there is a difference between the online and offline profiles.

GFLW absolutely mangled itself after it tried to update 4 times on the last game (Bioshock2). Gave a nice generic error, as a good PC user off to the forums I went. Tried every fix, manually edited the registery, tried clean installs, no effect. Had to wait for the next system format to start completely clean. My theory thus far is that GFWL badly handles updating the client if it hasn't been used for a long time.

Steam has been rock solid for me since Half Life 2. Had a couple minor issues with Origin but nothing serious. Also liked Impulse but only used it for Sins and Galcvi2.

33. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 00:04 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:42:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:41:
Lot's of people use GFWL with no issues, I get that.

Then GFWL eats one of their save files. Those people then join us on the light side.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

The problem is most people donít understand how GFWL uses the AppData Directory to store their files. Many people will rebuild and blow away their hard drive not realizing that in the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLiveLive directory your saves and setting are stored there. This is what needs to be backed up If you back this folder up in the AppData and the one in the Roaming you WILL NOT lose your saves.

I love how you guys all pile on and complain about GFWL and donít know a damn thing about it or how it functions nor do many of you know where your files are being saved. I personally have never had issues with GFWL, yes itís not a clean as Steam but it does work.

And good luck with your petition, contracts have been signed and deals made. It wont happen.

Do you like programs that don't uninstall by going into Programs and removing them? GFWL is one, first it gets installed via a few apps. But even when you install it, it keeps remnants. Those remnants are a reinstall can still be there and be thee issue. Then you have to go find an uninstaller that works much deeper then the stock os uninstaller, to really remove it and start over. It's not all about one single issue, it's a series of issues that can happen. Their forum support is run by idiots that somehow have a job and don't have any understanding on what they are supporting. It just never ends.

Now if you never have a problem... consider yourself living on borrowed time.

32. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 00:00 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:23:
Jus shut up and sign it.

Thread winner.

31. There is always Origin! Apr 11, 2012, 23:59 Darth Guybrush

Oh wait that is EA only and crucial features like taking a screenshot are not supported (and only complicated by clients like Raptr).

Steam is at least stable and well supported.

Well minus EA that is...

30. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 23:59 HorrorScope

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:04:
Wow seriously? They are making an enhanced edition with extra content and they still find a reason to complain?

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it. Oh wait people love to complain. I have 25 hours with Arkham City, around 90 with Dawn of War 2 and 60 hours with Fallout 3 and zero problems. In fact I never had those annoying connection timed out errors I have with Steam.

And gamers wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

Some day you will and we'll have your set of mouse ears all ready for you.

29. GFWL Apr 11, 2012, 23:56 Darth Guybrush

Easier to crack on Steam more like. So in that respect I don't care either way.

However Bulletstorm (GFWL) was pirated so badly there will be no BS2 so?

28. Here's an explanation and fix for your GFWL problem. Apr 11, 2012, 22:54 hb3d

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:13:
Even now I can't even *start* the game without MANUALLY starting GFW, yes, the marketplace app which has absolutely no relation to GFWL, but is required for it to not instantly crash on startup (of the game)
This is a common misunderstanding about GFWL. GFWL games require that a Windows service named "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" be running when they are launched. By default the GFWL client installer sets this service to run automatically at startup. If you change this setting to manual or to disable, the service will not start when you run your game, and the game will either exit or crash depending upon how the game is programmed.

If you have the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant service set to manual, running the GFWL Marketplace application will start the service. That is why you can then successfully launch your game and the GFWL functionality in it works. You don't really need the Marketplace app. You just need the sign-in service to be running when you launch the game.

So either leave the service on automatic and always running or set it to manual but remember to manually start it before launching your GFWL games.

By the way the GFWL Marketplace client is also useful for displaying what DLC you have downloaded for a particular GFWL account.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2012, 23:15.

27. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:51 Spaced

It's just an annoyance. A tolerable one for most, but still a useless annoyance.

Funny, that pretty much sums up Steam for me as well. Although it's beyond just a useless annoyance to me having to submit to external gatekeepers to play games I pay for. For me, it's no Steam and no GFWL or no sale from me. At least not with either one required, optional is fine. I'm certainly a minority on this and gladly accept that (I'll probably be getting out of PC gaming mostly or entirely in the not too distant future soon anyway because of how it's being closed down due to DRM account requirements). I just refuse to have what I buy bound to any kind of 3rd party permission slip. My game library should sit on a shelf in my home or be installed from a downloadable file I can back up locally, never limited to any kind of account system that gives someone else the kill switch to my software library. Not a big deal to most though, plenty of gamers are more than willing to have thier consumer access and entertainment investments controlled by someone else, enough that such things are now accepted as normal and commonplace.

26. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:23 nin

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:17:
nin wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:12:

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it.

Thank goodness you don't speak for everyone, then!

Neither do you.

I never said I did, unlike the comment "I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it."

See the difference there?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 11, 2012, 22:17 Elf Shot The Food

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:12:

I never had a problem with GFWL ever, I don't know why people complain about it.

Thank goodness you don't speak for everyone, then!

Neither do you.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo