Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 20:04 JeffD

Beamer, pretty much all of the big stores can lookup receipts using the card at hand. We can just scan the card and then start scanning items to locate if the card was used to purchase it.

Cutter, never was asked for a phone number. I would probably ask to pass or put a fake one in cause my cell phone has a limited number of minutes. The problem with saying you don't have id is there is a good chance they will deny the return.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 13:04 Cutter

Why is this sort of thing so difficult for people to deal with? Just tell them you don't have a license, passport, etc. Even with crap like their rewards card all they get from me is my junk email address. Anytime I'm asked for a phone number by anyone I give them 867-5309. It's not hard to deal with this shite.

Edit: It's actually kind of funny with the phone number as on occasion someone else will use it too in which case I'll just state they're my roommate or something, heh.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 12:03 jimnms

The nearest Best Buy to me is about an hour drive. There have been a couple of rare occasions where it was worth driving over because they had a cheaper price than I could find online for something, or the time my PSU crapped out on a Thursday night and I couldn't wait all weekend to have one shipped. I bought a tablet for my mother this past Christmas, and I couldn't decide between two models, so I bought both. One I ordered from Amazon and the other I bought from Best Buy because for that one it was cheaper even after tax and fuel to drive there. She ended up liking the one from Amazon, so I returned the Best Buy one. I didn't have to give them a drivers license, but I do have their stupid rewards card so they're probably tracking me that way.

While I keep reading about them closing stores, they've actually opened a new one not too long ago in the same area that already has two. All three are within a 5 square mile radius, and either is about the same driving time from me.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 11:30 Beamer

JeffD wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 11:24:
They don't scan your license for purchases, they scan them for returns. Big difference. I work at target and know how they feel. target only scans your license for returns that have no receipt, we essentially give you a line of like $60 of forgiveness per year per license. If you have the receipt, its pretty much a no questions needed (we ask, but generic answers work) return policy.

It bothers me less for returns without a receipt, but even then is it just no paper receipt? If I paid with my amex can the store simply find the purchase via that?
Nordstrom has very tight customer integration, to the point that I've received emails about in-store purchases without ever giving my email in-store (bad move by them, I believe they've since stopped.) They can actually find returns by name, so when I returned a christmas gift from my mother (she purchased it online) without a proper receipt they just searched her by last name and address, found the purchase, and refunded the money to my card.

Yes, they have a lot of data, but it's all data I offered to them in order to complete a transaction. That's very different from them taking my license, a piece of identification never before used in this process.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 11:24 JeffD

They don't scan your license for purchases, they scan them for returns. Big difference. I work at target and know how they feel. target only scans your license for returns that have no receipt, we essentially give you a line of like $60 of forgiveness per year per license. If you have the receipt, its pretty much a no questions needed (we ask, but generic answers work) return policy.

In the case in the article, it looked like the guy did several returns and exchanges over Christmas, imo if you are that anal about buying your crap, don't buy it at an expensive electronics store. Pretty much if you return it, it no longer looks new and we need to repackage it or salvage it. Some electronics get returned but it's still a loss. And taking a loss because the customer is stupid is unfair to us. Worse yet if the guest is trying to scam us.

IMO, take it or leave it. best buy may store your personal info but its being done by a 3rd party that is structured around credit and information securities so I would feel safe. Target's return desk I am not sure where it stores your info, we probably do it with a bank. I am fairly certain though that when we scan licenses on the lanes for over 21+ items, nothing is stored. I haven't come across hearing about any other 3rd party software ours is interacting with at the time, and it is never used to deny someone from something, ie we never get a response back saying this guy bought too much beer or that he has been trespassed. It just looks at the age value inside the barcode.

I was kind of surprised that its legal to say no to valid returns though. Afaik state law is usually at least 15 days under lemon policies?

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 11:23 Verno

There's no chance someone making minimum wage is going to be scanning my drivers license at an electronics store with poor security.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 11:05 Beamer

15% restocking fee gone, license scanning instead?

I get the whole Superbowl TV issue, but for godssake, buying a TV is a hassle. They're a huge pain to unpack and to repack, let alone ship and return.
Have they done any studies on how many people plan to return and don't bother because it's a huge effort and the TV really looks good in the room they put it in?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 10:59 avianflu

cannot believe they scan your license on every purchase you make there. no thanks

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 10:45 Ozmodan

Another reason to avoid Best Buy. Hope they go belly up. Their customer service is horrid!  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo