Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned

In spite of EA saying the original "under-performed," a sequel to Bulletstorm was in the works at People Can Fly before being cancelled by parent company Epic Games reports GameSpot, who hear from Epic president Mike Capps on the topic. Mike indicates they have put the Polish developer on a different project they will "be announcing pretty soon," though there is no clue if this is the recently revealed PC game Epic is planning. "We thought a lot about a sequel, and had done some initial development on it, but we found a project that we thought was a better fit for People Can Fly," he said. "We haven't announced that yet, but we will be announcing it pretty soon." He goes on to praise Bulletstorm and says he'd love to go back to the property, "but right now we don't have anything to talk about." Just to stir the pot a little, the story concludes with Capps' comment that sales of the PC version may have been harmed by piracy: "We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

View
239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

59. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:58 Cutter

'So we admit it was a crappy game and a shitty port, but piracy was really the problem.'

Whenever you hear someone blame piracy from now on that's code for a shitty game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:55 Beelzebud

I like how the guy who rants and raves about evil PC piracy is also the one who seems to visit a "major torrent site".  

57. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:03:
So you guys wouldn't wager that 10% of pirates would purchase if piracy wasn't an option?

You think 10% is too high?

As for where millions come from, go to a major torrent site and look and see how many downloaded the game.

Mr. Beamer, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

56. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:50 Beelzebud

Do they count "didn't buy, pirate, or play it because it was totally unappealing to me" as "piracy"?  

55. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:39 Jdrez

Meh. It wasn't a good game. I played the demo on the console toy and I was underwhelmed at best.

*Edit to add*: also, it's tiring that nobody in the industry admits how much Xbox piracy there is. I know plenty of people who simply flashed the optical drive and download games to DVD-R's.

The reason there's less piracy on the console toys is that millions of non-geeks have a console and most of them don't know how to pirate for those.

54. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:31 Dmitri_M

I didn't pirate it, and I didn't buy it.

It simply didn't appeal to me, and the reviews didn't make it out to be all that great.

53. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:30 qsto

So when a multiplat title bombs; and bomb this game did on consoles too, it's PC's fault. But when a multiplat title does great... on PC as well, like Skyrim and BF3, it's just collateral sales?  

52. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 Jerykk

I like Bulletstorm, but really? You're going to blame piracy for lousy sales? One look at Skyrim proves that piracy doesn't have any adverse effect on a game's success. The games with the most hype and marketing are pirated the most and sell the most. Bulletstorm didn't sell well on any platform, so it's no surprise that PC wasn't the exception.  

51. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 Fletch

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:04:
If people didn't want to play it then it wouldn't have been pirated like crazy.

You can say people didn't want to pay for it, but undoubtedly if piracy was not an option then sales would have been better. While we can debate all day what portion of pirates would otherwise buy a game (low), I don't think anyone would argue none would.
If a game is pirated a million times I think it's safe to say that's 100,000 lost sales. Bulletstorm was pirated more than a million times.

Where do you get THOSE numbers? I don't think it's even close to 10%. And I think the vast majority of those who did pirate it didn't play it for long, and were thankful they didn't waste $40. Companies who rely on day one sales for games they know are crap are just as dishonest as pirates. They want as many people buying their non-refundable game before word gets out how fucking bad it is. It was a shitty console port, period.

Make good PC games, sell lots of PC games. Make shitty, consolized PC games, sell few PC games.

50. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:17 DNForever

Bulletstorm was such a pile of crap  

49. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:13 Tom46

Hello, my name is Mike Capps...I'm a ventriloquist...watch me talk out of my ass!

P.S.: I also do a great impression of Cliffy B!

48. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 12:01 deqer

Iurand wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 09:35:
"We did crappy console port, but it's your fault thieves! BTW don't forget to buy our new PC exclusive game. We love you, thieves."

I'm so excited.
I appreciate that you rephrased it, and liked the way you rephrased it.

wtf_man wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 09:47:
if the game sucks... those "pirated copies" were most likely NOT lost sales.
Yup. In fact, that is the primary reason for why a game would be downloaded illegally--because there was no demo, trial, or realistic(extended) trial. Since publishers--such as EA--have fucked over so many people in so many years now, then more and more people would rather download/trial before buy. Yes, pirates--believe it or not--will buy it after they pirated it.

Elessar wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:09:
Yeah, let's not consider that it not selling well is YOUR fault. We'll automatically blame the consumers and then punish them for it.
This is exactly what happens in every company/corporation. Management will never recognize or admit to their own faults. Even in a small office, the Boss will never admit that things are sloppy, unorganized, etc. even if the Boss was smacked in the face with evidence of the fact, the Boss would still not recognize, or admit.

Darks wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:20:
Then you missed out, it was on sale during Christmas, I belive i picked it up for 5 dollars.
According to this thread so far, I don't think he's missing out. Shitty stuff will go on sale because the company needs to make SOMETHING off it, so, they might as well price it at $5. So, you purchased a piece of junk--supporting the company--for $5. Good for YOU!

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:03:
As for where millions come from, go to a major torrent site and look and see how many downloaded the game.
Is that your research? Looking at the download #s of torrents? lol.

Person downloading a torrent does not mean that person will extract/play the torrent. If they play it, it's because they are doing a trial first, then they will buy it. Also know that a lot of pirating is merely collecting, and not actually playing--and/or spreading--it.

Chromius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:13:
To the people buying the whole "Piracy is huge thing" you are brainwashed, piracy is made out to be much larger than it actually is, these people go to their board meetings and tell them this is why they failed, when in reality it is not the issue, Piracy is the "Get out of jail free card".
Exactly. Management proposes dumb idea; co-workers disagree, but agree--to keep their jobs; project fails; management blames the workers; workers pull out green card excuses, to keep their jobs.

Chromius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:20:
Oh and yeah they do not want you to to dl it and try it, they want you to digitally purchase it or physically purchase it and have NO way to return it when you figure out its a crappy PC port.
Yup. Corporations have found a way to make it impossible for you to return a game once you've played it once. All the more reason to pirate the game first, trial it, before you buy it.

---

God, corps are so dumb/evil. Blaming piracy with no evidence, and getting away with it(by receiving tax cuts on claimed losses). lol.

47. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:59 born2expire

I bought it for $5 or $8 i honestly don't remember, I played until the 2nd level (the train thingy) uninstalled and will never play it again, FPS games on rails with no decent multiplayer are all garbage. I wish I would have pirated this and I don't pirate games.  

46. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:52 Halo

Oh BulletStorm has been released?  

45. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:49 Xoxotl

Chromius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:13:
piracy is made out to be much larger than it actually is, these people go to their board meetings and tell them this is why they failed, when in reality it is not the issue, Piracy is the "Get out of jail free card".

This. A thousand times, this.

Executive: "The executive committee is not pleased. The PC version sold poorly. I've heard whispers that it was badly ported and buggy, with features which are considered standard to PC gaming stripped out."

Developer: "A poor port? From us?!? Nooooooooo! It was.... um... well... piracy! Yeah! Those darn pirates! That's why our PC sales sucked! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Executive: "Sounds better then me approving this fiasco in first place. Yup, sounds like pirates are to blame."

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

44. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:48 TheEmissary

Wow Epic/"People Can Fly" you certainly are a piece of work. You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth when dealing with PC gamers. You have a few developers saying they should make PC games again and you are even supposedly making a PC exclusive then you bring out this BS again. Have you not learned time and time again it isn't wise to anger your consumer base. Netflix had to learn that the hard way.

Maybe just maybe you should do a separate post-mortem on why the game was ill-recieved. I have a feeling piracy wouldn't have been the major reason. PC gamers have money and want to spend it as you only have to look at the hardware we buy, steam sales, and kickstarter. Release a good game and actually support the consumers and just maybe people will buy your games.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 11:59.

43. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 Xoxotl

I honestly don't know how the game plays, having never bought a copy myself. The Serious Sam-esque FPS type doesn't really do anything for me. /shrug

At least, that's the impression I got when I dropped over at my nephew's house and he and his buddies were playing a game on their Xbox. I noticed that when he took it out of the machine, it appeared to be a CD-ROM with "BSTORM" written on it in black sharpie. But, yeah, those PC pirates will get you every time...

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

42. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 wonkawonka

I got a free boxed copy from a friend who was working on the game at EA at the time. I wouldn't have bought it at retail.
My friend himself told me the PC port was crap, and all versions were riddled with bugs.
He was very unhappy about the state of the game upon release. And he expected the game to do poor-to-average. All this talk of piracy is just an easy way out.

Personally with low expectations I found the game surprisingly fun. Would have been a good buy at $20.

41. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:34 pagb

It didn't sell well because it isn't even worth the 5 they're asking for it lately. I'm pretty sure Painkiller is selling even better than that piece of shit nowadays.  

40. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:27 gilly775

Hey, Mr Capps: Maybe you should take some tips from developers like Mojang and other Indie Game developers. Make something that's fun, drop it exclusively on PC, put a price tag that makes sense and you'll have more sales than pirates.....Or, is that just too hard to comprehend?

I can't wait for the day when the piracy blame game is placed on the consoles but I guess that's just wishful thinking....

239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo