Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned

In spite of EA saying the original "under-performed," a sequel to Bulletstorm was in the works at People Can Fly before being cancelled by parent company Epic Games reports GameSpot, who hear from Epic president Mike Capps on the topic. Mike indicates they have put the Polish developer on a different project they will "be announcing pretty soon," though there is no clue if this is the recently revealed PC game Epic is planning. "We thought a lot about a sequel, and had done some initial development on it, but we found a project that we thought was a better fit for People Can Fly," he said. "We haven't announced that yet, but we will be announcing it pretty soon." He goes on to praise Bulletstorm and says he'd love to go back to the property, "but right now we don't have anything to talk about." Just to stir the pot a little, the story concludes with Capps' comment that sales of the PC version may have been harmed by piracy: "We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

View
239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

99. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:20 chaos4u

The product failed because it was a fail product .

I don't care how many artist designers and man hours you pored into this project. it failed and it failed because , of YOU !! yes you Epic . you can blame piracy all you want but more and more proof is coming from the industry that there are gamers out there willing to spend good money on great ideas.

your product however was just another rehashed FPS. and the gamers out there are not going to part with their money for something they have been playing for years and years.

Whoever is leading you in what projects to take on needs to wake up and start pushing the freaking envelope and thinking outside the box.

because the gamers have spoken and with dollars and crowed sourced projects that they want to see brought to life .

and guess what it was not another fps.

so stop blaming piracy for the failing of your projects . and realize the success is fully on your shoulders. and the people who decide what to work on . i know it sucks busting your ass on these projects but the truth is the majority of gamers do not want them .

Its time to realize that .

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

98. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:18 Dev

Protip: Make a good game and it usually sells, see skyrim.  

97. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:17 avianflu

Just because Capps says the PC game was pirated a lot doesnt mean that it actually was. He's just bs'ing folks.  

96. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:10 SpectralMeat

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 15:49:
Bad game - sells few copies, but it gets pirated regardless
Good game - sells many copies, but it gets pirated regardless
+1

Steam: SpectralMeat

95. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:05 nin

If your game is "Good", piracy won't be an issue.

I don't know about that...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

94. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:03 Steele Johnson

Hello Developers,

Here's the deal:

If your game is "Good", piracy won't be an issue.

If your game is "Mediocre", piracy will be an issue.

If your game is "Bad", don't blame it on piracy.

Here's a tip. If you're worried about piracy, create an amazing console game and see what happens. If it's really good, porting it to the PC will most likely bring in more revenue.

Thank you for participating in Game Development 101.

93. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:49 Dmitri_M

Bad game - sells few copies, but it gets pirated regardless
Good game - sells many copies, but it gets pirated regardless

92. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:46 PHJF

Except you get that stuff just for showing up, where with piracy you have to actively go and look for it. It's not like you get a pop up telling you, hey, free game, and then you're just handed it.

No, that's pretty much how piracy works in the bit torrent age.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

91. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:41 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 15:21:
I disagree. If something is free, people will take it. Doesn't really matter how much they want it. Take swag, for example. Do you think people would pay even $1 for 99% of the crap that gets handed out at conventions? Likely not. That doesn't stop them from gladly taking that stuff for free.

Except you get that stuff just for showing up, where with piracy you have to actively go and look for it. It's not like you get a pop up telling you, hey, free game, and then you're just handed it.

And those games you bought I would assume you wanted, at some level, and didn't just say "Wow! It's only a dollar!" and then just buy it because it was a dollar and not because it was a game you may play at some point down the line since you could buy it for only a dollar. Right?

Those Steam sales are a good example of why piracy is so fucking idiotic. You could get Bulletstorm for $5, or even less, as long as you waited a little while for it, just like practically any other game out there anymore. That's not exactly a steep price to pay for something even if you only have a passing interest in ever playing it. You can't even buy lunch for that anymore. Hell, it costs more than that to drive to the store and back to pick something up...and all you have to do is not grab it near its release date, something that shouldn't be all that difficult for a game that people were supposedly not interested in anyway.

90. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:38 Trevellian

"We ported a game poorly to PC. Told PC gamers they'd get no demo and assured them it would be great. And we called them Grumpy. I wonder why they didn't eat our shit up like strawberry shortcake."

Derp

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

89. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:26 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 15:21:
Untrue. Why would anyone possibly download a game if they do not want to play it? Some people mention things like "collecting" here, but does anyone think a meaningful number of people "collect" things they do not wish to play?
People downloaded the game because they wished to play it. Maybe only for curiosity, to see how bad it was, but clearly they desired to play it.

I disagree. If something is free, people will take it. Doesn't really matter how much they want it. Take swag, for example. Do you think people would pay even $1 for 99% of the crap that gets handed out at conventions? Likely not. That doesn't stop them from gladly taking that stuff for free. Hell, just look at Steam sales and indie bundles. I've bought a lot of games that I'll probably never even get around to installing, letalone playing, simply because they were so cheap.

Downloading something for free doesn't prove that someone would otherwise be interested in buying it.

All the pirates I know download EVERYTHING and only play a very small amount of them. Collecting the booty is more important than having an use for it.

88. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:21 Jerykk

Untrue. Why would anyone possibly download a game if they do not want to play it? Some people mention things like "collecting" here, but does anyone think a meaningful number of people "collect" things they do not wish to play?
People downloaded the game because they wished to play it. Maybe only for curiosity, to see how bad it was, but clearly they desired to play it.

I disagree. If something is free, people will take it. Doesn't really matter how much they want it. Take swag, for example. Do you think people would pay even $1 for 99% of the crap that gets handed out at conventions? Likely not. That doesn't stop them from gladly taking that stuff for free. Hell, just look at Steam sales and indie bundles. I've bought a lot of games that I'll probably never even get around to installing, letalone playing, simply because they were so cheap.

Downloading something for free doesn't prove that someone would otherwise be interested in buying it.

87. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:11 DangerDog

Makes a turd of a game, blames piracy because nobody bought said turd.  

86. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 15:08 RamataKahn

It's pretty sad when a game company can't admit they made a lackluster or sucky game and they try to blame piracy instead. Funny how the companies that make BF3, MW3, Skyrim, and others don't really suffer from the same problem.

If piracy was truly as bad & widespread as it's made out to be, no games would be selling very much.

85. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:57 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:48:
Pretty much everyone I know my own age or younger pirates games, music and movies relentlessly. Most of them never buy anything, some of them buy their favorites. I started a volunteer overseas program in January and every other volunteer I have spent any time with brought terabytes of pirates stuff with them.

Which just goes to prove the point I was making earlier. Maybe some of them are rich, and actually could, but the vast majority of people who pirate things on a regular basis couldn't afford to actually buy it all. They pirate it because it's free.

Trying to suggest that any of them would have bought the same terrabytes worth of stuff if piracy wasn't an option is just ludicrous.

Indeed, it's something we've seen many people here share - pirated things in college when they had more time but less money. Now that they're older they don't have time to track things down and instead buy it legitimately because they have disposable income.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

84. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:48 Bhruic

Pretty much everyone I know my own age or younger pirates games, music and movies relentlessly. Most of them never buy anything, some of them buy their favorites. I started a volunteer overseas program in January and every other volunteer I have spent any time with brought terabytes of pirates stuff with them.

Which just goes to prove the point I was making earlier. Maybe some of them are rich, and actually could, but the vast majority of people who pirate things on a regular basis couldn't afford to actually buy it all. They pirate it because it's free.

Trying to suggest that any of them would have bought the same terrabytes worth of stuff if piracy wasn't an option is just ludicrous.

83. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:41 avianflu

Total PR blather from EA: They priced the game completely wrong at release on all platforms.

Bulletstorm was a fun action game but it released for $59 bucks console when it was a 29.99 game. PC release should have been 29.99 too.

82. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:24 Spektr

I think the time and money invested on mmo also contributes to players not turning to other games. I never finished Oblivion because Wow came out at this time and took all my spare time. I always joke about how my bro keeps buying pc magazines while he's only been playing WOW for the last past five years.
I am currently playing SWTOR and indeed not planning to spend five years on it. Not that the game is bad but I dont see that much incentive to keep paying for a subscription when I have all major classes at level fifty.
At the same time I doubt I will appreciate spending five years doing the same levels and battlefields over again.
Not to mention playing the same game over again, the gameplay being too close to World of Warcraft. WOW was a pleasure to play because it was the first game to make the experience so enjoyable because it had polish previous games lacked and better involvement in quest and stories. SWTOR takes it to the next level with great success but when the story is over it is over. and when the novelty wears off it's repeat repeat. I want a mmo that plays differently. SWTOR doesn't bring enough novelty to the table to make me say "Wow" like Wow did. I would spend months in a world like Tamriel but more of the same mmo clichés just won't do. Cashing up on WoW's successful might just prove shortsighted. Heck they might even revive SW Galaxy when they realize it was more success than SWTOR

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 14:32.

81. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:22 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:12:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:04:
If people didn't want to play it then it wouldn't have been pirated like crazy.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Missing point - also logical fallacies are always true - for they are logical fallacies ;p

You draw the wrong assumption by saying that they wanted to play it and would have paid money had there be no warez release and THAT is what causes lost sales, but you forget that pirates would NOT have played it had it not been available as a warez release. And thus, would not have the intention to buy it either. (sidenote: At full price)

Pirates obviously are influenced by hype as well - yet pirates make the conscious choice to pirate. They have no intention of buying it if they have the intention to pirate it. And this intention is not in relation to the availability of a warez release. The intention exists before the release or else someone would have no idea where to even find the release. That means the sales were never lost, because they never existed to begin with.

At best potential sales might be lost. But at this point for your argumentative line you might as well argue about the existence of the sound in that forest with no one to hear it.

They downloaded the game because they intend to play it without paying something yet your argument is based on the fact that they would have paid something. Which is a logical fallacy. Pirates would not PIRATE had they this intention of spending money you claim for them to have.

And only when someone has the intention of spending money is it a lost sale. Pirates never have this intention. (sidenote: obviously this generalization is only half-true, because I don't claim to know what ALL pirates think and do ,p)

80. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:20 Tumbler

The game wasn't competitive at $60. It had some interesting ideas but just wasn't a well rounded experience that was worth that price. I'm guessing on the consoles the used game sales went nuts shortly after the game shipped. I trade my 360 copy out very quickly same as I did with Homefront.

I assume that both homefront and Bulletstorm had little or no used game sales on the PC (due to DRM) so after the gig was up and gamers knew what the game was really worth the $60 price point pushed a lot of people away from buying the game legally.

I would love to see PC pirates avoid games like this altogether, don't pirate, don't play, completely ignore it, because when you pirate something you're basically telling them, "I want to play your game, you just need to put more security up around it because I was able to play it for free".

But if they did this you'd just see the same level of anger directed at legit customers, used game buyers and sellers seem to be the pc pirate equivalents. It's a mad world.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo