Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access

NCsoft is now accepting pre-purchases of Guild Wars 2, saying these will entitle customers to participate in weekend beta events and to get a three day head start in the MMORPG sequel when it launches. Pre-purchases are being accepted through the Guild Wars 2 Website and the retailers listed on this page. The occasion is also being promoted with this trailer.

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 15:21 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:54:
Not everyone that posts is interested in justifying or debating their opinions with you or any of the other retards looking to nit-pick every little thing someone says.

He says he has tried the game, in general doesn't like MMO's and GW2 did nothing for him. End of story. He doesn't have to justify his opinion to the likes of you or anyone else.

Kind of like not everyone posting is interested in getting immature attitude and hostility all the time from "you and the other retards around here" but we take the good with the bad No one was nitpicking anything so that was a pointless straw man anyway.

No one said people have to justify their opinions but you can't expect people not to ask how you reached a conclusion if you just drop something vague into a topic. If you don't want to answer then wonderful but it doesn't mean other people can't discuss or criticize it. Like I said, I don't agree with how Yakubs dealt with it but NKD can speak for himself and it was kind of obvious how the whole situation arose.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 15:28.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:54 eunichron

Tried 3 different cards and it keeps saying card information invalid.

NCSoft, WHY WON'T YOU TAKE MY MONEY?!

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:54 Krovven

Verno wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:21:
Errr that was the whole cause for disagreement, he didn't say anything at all about his hands on time. I'm sure most of us would love to hear about it given how stringent the NDAs for this game have been up to this point. "I like chicken" is an opinion but generally it helps when people put a little more substance into these things.

Not everyone that posts is interested in justifying or debating their opinions with you or any of the other retards looking to nit-pick every little thing someone says.

He says he has tried the game, in general doesn't like MMO's and GW2 did nothing for him. End of story. He doesn't have to justify his opinion to the likes of you or anyone else. Nor does he deserve to be attacked over it.

I'm not very interested in GW2, mainly because GW was boring shite and I've seen nothing of GW2 to convince me it's any better. Can I elaborate on that opinion? Absolutely. Do I want to waste my time explaining myself to you, Yak or anyone else only to have someone turn around and just state that my opinion is wrong? Nope.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:48 Cutter

entr0py wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:24:
I have only one question, is it possible to get a refund up until launch?

If so, it differs from a normal pre-order only in that you have to pay everything up front. But if there are no refunds before you can even see if the game works with your hardware, it's an outragously bad deal.

No, it's pre-buy, not pre-order. No cancellations. Though I suppose you could get around it with a pre-paid CC.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:48 RollinThundr

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:41:
Can you be more specific? I'm all for hearing the pros and cons on these things but you don't really say anything at all about Guild Wars 2. What were some of the things you liked? What were some of the things you disliked?

Well I already mentioned that I didn't feel there was enough choice and customization for characters. (Both visually and mechanically.) Other than that, my biggest dislike was probably the setting. I didn't feel engaged. It didn't make me care about what was going on. Hell, it wasn't even clear to me what exactly WAS going on. Wasn't a big fan of the art style either, but that's pure preference. I didn't get to test everything obviously, but I felt the content was too easy. Like, really easy. Maybe that changes later down the road, I can't say. But I didn't like what I did play. The dynamic event stuff felt shallow, with the differences between a lot of them being pretty minimal. I'm not sure this is the solution to the quest grind. But we'll see.

The thing I liked the most was the performance and responsiveness of the engine. Even for a beta combat feels pretty fluid, which is important to a lot of people. The class concepts aren't strict fantasy staples, which is also nice if you're into class-based games but want something a little bit different I guess.

I just didn't really feel compelled to log in and play, which is the first sign of a great game. I never found myself out and about thinking "Shit I need to get home so I can play some more." But part of that could be that it was a beta and a character you can't invest in long-term is a deterrent to immersion.

Have had this feeling about GW2 for a while now, never did buy into the hype of their "revolutionary dynamic content" that all the press trumped up. I figured it'd end up pretty shallow. Not surprised by this write up at all.

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:44 Verno

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 14:41:
Well I already mentioned that I didn't feel there was enough choice and customization for characters. (Both visually and mechanically.) Other than that, my biggest dislike was probably the setting. I didn't feel engaged. It didn't make me care about what was going on. Hell, it wasn't even clear to me what exactly WAS going on. Wasn't a big fan of the art style either, but that's pure preference. I didn't get to test everything obviously, but I felt the content was too easy. Like, really easy. Maybe that changes later down the road, I can't say. But I didn't like what I did play. The dynamic event stuff felt shallow, with the differences between a lot of them being pretty minimal. I'm not sure this is the solution to the quest grind. But we'll see.

The thing I liked the most was the performance and responsiveness of the engine. Even for a beta combat feels pretty fluid, which is important to a lot of people. The class concepts aren't strict fantasy staples, which is also nice if you're into class-based games but want something a little bit different I guess.

I just didn't really feel compelled to log in and play, which is the first sign of a great game. I never found myself out and about thinking "Shit I need to get home so I can play some more." But part of that could be that it was a beta and a character you can't invest in long-term is a deterrent to immersion.

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to write that up. If I may ask, what were a few of the dynamic events and how shallow were the differences? That was one of the bigger selling points of the game for me.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:41 NKD

Can you be more specific? I'm all for hearing the pros and cons on these things but you don't really say anything at all about Guild Wars 2. What were some of the things you liked? What were some of the things you disliked?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:37 Verno

You'll probably have to contact ANet specifically about that preorder question, I didn't see it in the FAQ there. I agree that the preorder stuff seems pretty underwhelming for this game. The bonuses are relegated to the silly $80 DDE and the beta weekends/3 day early go thing is a nonstarter for me.

That said I am really anxious to hear more about the game in general, I'm expecting a lot of it after all the talk about its various innovations in the stagnant MMORPG subgenre.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:24 entr0py

I have only one question, is it possible to get a refund up until launch?

If so, it differs from a normal pre-order only in that you have to pay everything up front. But if there are no refunds before you can even see if the game works with your hardware, it's an outragously bad deal.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 14:31.

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 14:21 Verno

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:08:
I was kind of disappointed with the time I got with GW2. Don't think I'll be giving it another shot. I wanted a more detailed and freeform character advancement system with more choice, and I'm also kind of tired of generic fantasy.

Not that I agree with how he presented it but its easy to see how Yakubs was perturbed by your post. "I dont like level based MMOs so I'm kinda eh on GW2" is an opinion, sure, but doesn't really say anything worthwhile about the game itself for people interested in making a purchase decision.

Hands-on time with the game is probably more than you or anyone else in this thread have.

Errr that was the whole cause for disagreement, he didn't say anything at all about his hands on time. I'm sure most of us would love to hear about it given how stringent the NDAs for this game have been up to this point. "I like chicken" is an opinion but generally it helps when people put a little more substance into these things.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 14:26.

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:48 Krovven

Yakubs wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:30:
NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:15:
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you by not liking what you like and discussing it in the relevant post. In the future I'll be sure I only post if I like something.

Who said you offended me? I'm just wondering why you thought your personal opinion was relevant when you admitted that it had nothing to do with the quality of the game and everything to do with your own video-gaming biases.

Hands-on time with the game is probably more than you or anyone else in this thread have. Our personal biases tend to effect our opinions unless of course you are not human. If you think that's somehow a problem, then you are an idiot like so many others here that want to tell others their opinions are wrong.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:39 NKD

Yakubs wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:30:
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you by not liking what you like and discussing it in the relevant post. In the future I'll be sure I only post if I like something.

Who said you offended me? I'm just wondering why you thought your personal opinion was relevant when you admitted that it had nothing to do with the quality of the game and everything to do with your own video-gaming biases.

In a thread about preorders, the opinion "I think I will pass on this one for X and Y reasons." is just as relevant as "I am going to preorder this for A and B reasons." If you don't like it, feel free to leave, because I think you'll find most every comment on this site is a personal opinion from someone.

Now, back to discussing GW2.

NCsoft is an unfortunate factor, but there's not much they can do about it at this point. I wouldn't count on NCsoft screwing things up too badly. I think they know they need a successful game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:30 Yakubs

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:30 Cutter

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:21:
Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:11:
The best they can do in Canada is EB fucking games? Whilst I love Anet, NCSoft has to be the worst publisher out there. They need to rid themselves of that particular albatross around their neck.

That albatross that paid 250 salaries for 5 years to make an MMO with half a dozen unique and untested mechanics? I'd say they could do worse.

And what good is a publisher that's supposed to get your product to market and can't even manage that simple task?

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:26 Teddy

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:21:
The best they can do in Canada is EB fucking games? Whilst I love Anet, NCSoft has to be the worst publisher out there. They need to rid themselves of that particular albatross around their neck.

That albatross that paid 250 salaries for 5 years to make an MMO with half a dozen unique and untested mechanics? I'd say they could do worse.

Not to mention NCSoft OWNS Anet and all of the associated IP's. It's definitely a great idea to toss away all your funding, all the work you've done to date, the world and lore you've created, all because a few gamers don't "like" NCSoft or the distributors they do business with. That's some fantastic business advice.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:21 Mikus_Aurelius

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:15 NKD

Yakubs wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:16:

So, if you didn't like GW2 for personal reasons then why are you bothering to blog-- I mean, post about it?

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:11 Cutter

Wow, really? Went to purchase from their website and get, "We're sorry but we don't support this browser. Please upgrade or try a different browser." Who the fuck doesn't support IE8? For a game I've been championing for so long they're really dropping the ball on this pre-purchase shit.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 13:19.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:11 Fion

Call me crazy but I pre-purchased the CE. I've never spent $160 on a game before, but I wanted to this time.

Why? Because the Rytlock Grimstone statue is pure win!

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 12:49 Jdrez

Meh. This ain't gonna be a game changer, sorry.

I'm done with MMORPGs until someone gets rid of hot-bar combat. Watching cooldown meters is fucking boring.

Why someone can't make an MMO version of Skyrim is beyond me. If I could play that game co-op with friends online I'd never stop playing.

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo